Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) For Gladiator Manual Transmiss [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I just got this letter from FCA today.

20200504_152120.jpg
Got the letter as well. Sounds like a heat shield added and wires moved, no actual components replaced unless there is some kind of indication of damage during inspection. Apparently The time bomb keeps ticking... until something actually breaks.
Sponsored

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Problem is that if you were “officially” notified and chose not to follow through with manufacturer repairs you may void your warranty. Ide say get the recommended repair even if it is a half ass repair...it may cover your ass down the road if/when it does catch fire.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Problem is that if you were “officially” notified and chose not to follow through with manufacturer repairs you may void your warranty. Ide say get the recommended repair even if it is a half ass repair...it may cover your ass down the road if/when it does catch fire.
Good point.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
thanks. Ha! I agree. I’m committed to upgrading. The difference in cost between them is negligible. Definitely focusing on value over cost and want made in USA.
I often fall into that trap too myself...
If I'm $1200 deep what's another $200 to get it done right or upgrade or best version

CookieSoup

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
ill have to get mine taken in pretty sure in 1 hour they arn't geting to find anything on a truck with 900 miles on it lol. but they can do the heat sheild and what not.

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
ill have to get mine taken in pretty sure in 1 hour they arn't geting to find anything on a truck with 900 miles on it lol. but they can do the heat sheild and what not.
I'm scratching my head trying trying to understand how in one hour they know your pressure plate will be prone to explosion? All I can guess is they're just looking for a lot number on the bell housing????

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I'm scratching my head trying trying to understand how in one hour they know your pressure plate will be prone to explosion? All I can guess is they're just looking for a lot number on the bell housing????
Friction from a partially engaged clutch is what builds up the heat that causes the pressure plate to fail. They are testing for a properly engaging clutch.

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
Got the recall notice yesterday - have appointment with dealer tomorrow morning - "service advisor" says they will need it all day. We will see what transpires and advise.

JT_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2016 Husqvarna FE350S
Got the recall notice yesterday - have appointment with dealer tomorrow morning - "service advisor" says they will need it all day. We will see what transpires and advise.

I made my appointment for tomorrow morning as well. The dealer told me they need it for an hour to perform an initial inspection, and then determine if any work is required.

Gladiatorx

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Colorado wt
I called my service department today. he read the instructions over the phone it does have a provision for removing a pump or something to be able to gain access to inspect the pressure plate. They are ordering parts and when they arrive I'll bring it in. he said the part number for the pressure plate was different than the old one so maybe there has been an improvement. I asked then could they not just replace it and he said only if it warrants it from the inspection. We'll see what happens.

Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I also got the notice and am underwhelmed that the clutch parts are only 'replace as needed.' I have no regrets on getting this truck and no regrets on getting the MT, but the stock clutch is the one and only thing I truly dislike - it's so vague it's as if it's running through some fuzzy remote control, and there have been times, after shifting, after the clutch is fully engaged and my foot is off the clutch, if I mat the throttle, I feel some slip (RPMs suddenly rising out of proportion to increasing speed) unless I back off the throttle.

I'll be very interested to hear if/when someone has the recall work done that ends up actually including the new pressure plate, whether they experience better clutch 'feel' and engagement.

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Explorer Sport Track, 04 Suzuki VL800, 06 Lincoln Zephyr, 16 Jeep Renegade
I'd like for someone who does get the parts replaced to request the old parts so they can post pictures.

I still need to call my dealer and make an appointment.

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Explorer Sport Track, 04 Suzuki VL800, 06 Lincoln Zephyr, 16 Jeep Renegade
BTW 16K miles, never smelled the clutch but have felt it slip. I'm due for my next Jeep Wave service so I'll be combining this with the recall.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Anybody ever been in 3rd and felt the drive train jerk slightly when at a steady speed? I would almost call it a bump forward. I don't think that's the clutch slipping like @kd1yt says.

I can still count less than 10 times right now.

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
If anyone actually gets real work done to their clutch out of this let us know on here!
Sponsored