Sponsored

Contacted by Jeep Brand -- What would you do?

OP
OP
HouseOfWolves

HouseOfWolves

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
our aussie was a little reluctant to give up my Nissan. I have to pick her up a good harness for some topless rides in the new Jeep.

18D08C21-BF36-4169-9E13-BA14DD790B74.jpeg
✌

Beautiful Aussie! My son inherited my Rogue when I got the JTR -- the dogs completely love getting in a vehicle, any vehicle, and going for a ride.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HouseOfWolves

HouseOfWolves

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I wanted to sincerely thank all of my brethren that weighed-in on my inquiry.

My dearest friend ( a Wrangler Rubicon owner) ran it by her estate lawyer... Essentially, the best course of action is to let them have it for social media purposes, and be completely flattered by it. As it pertains to video, or print -- that is a separate discussion.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
✌

I recently posted the picture below, in the "Show me your furry Co-Pilots" thread.

It was also posted on my Instagram account with various hashtags involving Australian Shepherds, and Jeeps. The Jeep Brand contacted me and has requested to use the image in social medial platforms throughout the world, possibly multiple times, for an indefinite period time. They will give me credit, but cannot offer me payment at this time.

To be honest, it is pretty damn cool... But, as my buddy who owns a JL Rubi said to me - "they could at least toss you some grab handles, or something."

What would you do?

Screenshot_20210609-113104_Instagram.jpg
See... If had been Atticus The Giant Schnauzer (see attached), they would have offered a ton of money, and bling....... LOL, just let them do it and enjoy the notoriety.

Atti Jeep 2.jpg

Glad_Sconnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I figured I'd drop my thoughts in here, based on being in this scenario...I've been asked by several "brands" to use photos on their pages, that I've posted to my social media - and it's essentially the same "cover all bases" request on their part - to request use of the image across all platforms. When all they really do is post them to their social media and tag the original "photographer".

The way I look at it, you've already posted to a free social media platform and added hashtags in an attempt to publicly share a photo you thought was sweet. The Jeep brand is covering their own a** in their request, but they are not actually going to use it for a national ad campaign, because they have their own marketing team that will set up photo shoots with very high quality images for those campaigns. They are truly only going to repost the/your image on their social media and then move on to the next person they have asked.

If you turn them down, it makes no difference and they will move on to the next...your picture is great, and very relatable, thus the reason they want to repost...BUT, and this is out of no disrespect as my situation is exactly the same, it is not a professional photographer/marketing campaign quality photo.

Consider yourself flattered that someone within a global brand recognized your photo and wants to share it with their followers - you get credit in the post, and they get another picture to post - and if you let them post, then you let your family/friends know that it was your picture and everyone moves on about their day.

Now as someone else mentioned, if your income is based on professional photography, and you invest in your business with equipment and doing actual shoots/edits, then recommend they view your portfolio and if they see something they'd like to purchase, they can do so...

Sponsored

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
✌

I recently posted the picture below, in the "Show me your furry Co-Pilots" thread.

It was also posted on my Instagram account with various hashtags involving Australian Shepherds, and Jeeps. The Jeep Brand contacted me and has requested to use the image in social medial platforms throughout the world, possibly multiple times, for an indefinite period time. They will give me credit, but cannot offer me payment at this time.

To be honest, it is pretty damn cool... But, as my buddy who owns a JL Rubi said to me - "they could at least toss you some grab handles, or something."

What would you do?

Jeep Gladiator Contacted by Jeep Brand  -- What would you do? Atti Jeep 2
I would ask for a one year subscription to Bark Box. For your Sould mate of course.
It'd be good P.R. for JeeP also.

jimmy986

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
sales
As a Jeep owner and a photographer, it’s good to ask for something, even if it’s just merchandise. If people do things for free, it encourages companies to not pay professionals. You may not care but it does end up with a lowering of quality in the ads, imagery, etc and takes away paying jobs.

AlxCZ

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Artist
Jeep spends millions on marketing, just business as usual, I say get paid

Sponsored

Capt.Grumps1075

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Towboat Captain
Lol tell em yeah use it all you like for some jeep sway for the dog and myself lol. At least a hat. 🤣🤣

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
No thanks. Id be worried they would throw some pride flags on it or something I don't want to have anything to do with. With how many political stances companies are making I'd prefer to keep myself out of it.

alyn

First Name
Alyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator,2019 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Retired
You Jeepers are harsh. Would Stellantis not be generous? LOL

Slyboots2313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I don’t really think you have much bargaining room. Maybe a free shirt or hat or something, but some of the advice given is ludicrous. Jeep isn’t really making money off of your photo, and I really don’t want this to come off wrong, but there are millions of other photos they could use without the hassle.
Personally, I think it’s a cool story for you and a way to show off the Jeep community. A real person and their dog in an owned Jeep instead of a photo shoot shot in some artistic location with a model and some for-hire dog.
Sponsored