Cooler doesnt fit with tonneau cover

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
There are only two things I miss from my Tundra.

#1 taller bed for coolers.
#2 air cooled seats.
Sponsored

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Those damn Bastidz didnā€™t check with you before making their bedā€¦

You still have options.
-Put the cooler in / on back seat.
-Get a different coolerā€¦maybe a soft side.
-You didnā€™t get the cover that best fit your needs. Sell it and try again now that you better know what your needs are.

Maybe opt in for a Honda Ridgeline. I think they thought of your cooler requirements in that they have a false floorā€¦I think.
HAH! My Ridgeline had the same problem. You can load the trunk under the bed with ice, but it doesn't help with a cooler, because it has its own lid, which you can't remove. So this issue followed me from the Honda, which actually has slightly LESS room between the tonneau and the bed floor. I've been looking for a low-clearance cooler myself.

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Let me know if you find it fits as I have been in the same boat and just as irratated. I have been on the fence about going to Igloo which is not far from my house and maybe asking them if they can design and build a new cooler that is maybe a bit longer but lower in profile and gives the same space. I only have one cooler out of all my igloos, etc will fit in the bed with bakflip cover down.
Should fit- exterior height is listed at 16.5"

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
The struggle is real.
I love my bak4 rolling cover but didnā€™t realize it was going to limit things like this (and I just donā€™t like how bed caps look). My existing Coleman xtreme wheeled cooler (62qt I think) juuust fits.
5F07784A-A883-49F9-84A1-29DC3FAB9263.jpeg
I have the same cover and cooler and even with a bed mat it's a very snug fit, but it works. I have to crack the back lip of the cover to drag it in and out.

Sponsored

MrNate5588

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator max tow
Iā€™ve got the same cover and had to go with the igloo 70qt maxcold from academy. Fits like a glove.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Why reply like this? it's unnecessary and actually... quite belligerent.
He purchased a Gladiator, Iā€™m sure his reply was in jest. Just forgot to add the emoji maybe.šŸ˜‰

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
Rough country tonneau cover, sorry says RC tonneau in signature, It is flush to the top, kanei cooler is 17.5 inches tall, I appreciate the initail response to help but just wanting to vent, its the only thing I dont like about the JT. My solution will be a smaller cooler for now or the extension straps, this tonneau is going to have to stay because I think if I buy another thing for the JT I'll be single lol
It's annoying no doubt. Mine is a factory Mopar hard cover and can only put smaller coolers in. Other thing what annoys me, can't put a 20 lb BBQ propane tank in the bed standing up with the cover down.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
My yeti 65 fits perfectly . Thats why i bought it.

Maccam26

First Name
Marc-Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
yep my yeti tundra haul goes on top of the diamondback - strapped and locked šŸ˜© my tent and gazebo as well as the bed is too short haha

Pwntiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
Occupation
software developer
Im actually a fan of the small, lower profile bed

Consider getting a soft rollup tonneau such that you can just roll it up for taller loads

Bama_Swampfox

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (09-14-3pm) ; Kubota 2910 Tractor; 1964 BP-1
Occupation
Retired, thank God
I have the Mopar hard, folding tonneau cover and had a hard time finding a cooler to fit below the cover. I ended up with a Dometic CC32.

The only caveat is that the cooler needs to sit sideways to fit between the tonneau panel braces. It fits perfectly sideways next to the tailgate and easy to get at by just opening the rearmost tonneau panel.

The tonneau panel braces end up keeping the cooler relatively in place.

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg
I posted this a while back and am very happy with the set-up. Particularly being able to use it as a cooler or freezer. And making use of the switched outlet in the bed. I've used this set-up on several long trips and it's easy to access - when you're not driving of course....
Sponsored