Sponsored

Couple questions on the 6.4 HEMI SWAP

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Couple questions on the 6.4 Hemi SWAP for my Rubicon Gladiator

- will all stock features such as start stop, crawl control etc. be retained?

- real world gas mileage only interesting as the the tank is so small. Also 91?

- added weight on the front. Some concern that with the 6.4 and steel bumper plus winch the truck will be too nose heavy when going down steep stuff and any tweaks to front suspension needed? I have the MOPAR 2-inch lift right now.

- install time between drop off and pickup. I understand the ECU gets shipped out so we looking at a week or two?

- does not work with the MOPAR or other snorkels correct?

- can you still go to your dealer for oil change and service or need a speciality shop?

- what are the downsides besides cost, loss in range (MPG), and not being able to run on 87?

Thanks for the responses :). Also interested to hear some real world accounts from those who have done it. I know it will be fun when you floor it but there's more to DD than flooring (as sad as that is).
Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I reached out to a shop a while back. They said everything worked except that auto stop/start. All the infotainment screens etc.

malaise, it’s a significant enough change that your warranty is pretty much voided. I’m going to wait until my warranty is up

kyleking777

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKRU

Everything works as from the factory, except for the start stop feature

I drive it like I stole it, mixed highway snd city. I have 40” tires, 4.88 gearing, Expect to get between 11 and 14 with that set up.

- added weight on the front. Some concern that with the 6.4 and steel bumper plus winch the truck will be too nose heavy when going down steep stuff and any tweaks to front suspension needed? I have the MOPAR 2-inch lift right now.

I had a 4” Evo lift prior to swap, as well as steel front bumper and winch. There was a bit too much rake in the front for me, even with that set up. Swapped in the 6.4L and added a 1.5” spacer lift on top of the coils in the front, and now it sits exactly how I like, perfectly straight

- install time between drop off and pickup. I understand the ECU gets shipped out so we looking at a week or two?

expect it to take 7-10 business days

no, that will not work unless you modify it yourself, but not worth it

- can you still go to your dealer for oil change and service or need a speciality shop?

you could if you really wanted to, just do not let them touch your computer. No flashes, ever. They probably won’t touch your jeep after that though. It takes 7Qaurts of of oil now. Easiest just to handle your oil changes yourself from now on. If that’s not something you can/want to do. Then just make sure they know all the details before you go

- what are the downsides besides cost, loss in range (MPG), and not being able to run on 87?

I get about 300 miles to tank on long highway drives. Yes it requires 91 or higher. Absolutely no down sides. It’s the best thing I’ve ever driven

Thanks for the responses :). Also interested to hear some real world accounts from those who have done it. I know it will be fun when you floor it but there's more to DD than flooring (as sad as that is).
I DD it, and I love every second of it. It’s how it should have been from the factory. You won’t regret it. You’ll miss your 40,000$ to do it, sure. But if you can afford it, do it.

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I DD it, and I love every second of it. It’s how it should have been from the factory. You won’t regret it. You’ll miss your 40,000$ to do it, sure. But if you can afford it, do it.
Appreciate this very much!!!! It is definitely on my short list. I am in MA and need to figure out logistics with likely rubitrux who are in NC as well. It's not that there is anything wrong with the 3.6L it's just not exciting at all.

Sponsored

MRW

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2012 JK8, 2015 JKUR, 1986 CJ7...........
My AMW swap is dead reliable, has been serviced at the dealer, and does everything you should expect it to. If you are in Mass you could send it to AMW in Michigan and have it done there. I do not know if they have any certified installers near you. They can add a lift or anything else you want while it is there. you can give them a call and ask if they have any other installers near you. They do have one in Maryland which may be the closest one for you. It is best to go with someone who has done a few. Experienced installers can do it in 3 days or a little less. I am not sure what m fuel mileage is. I do know I go about 200 miles before I fill up but that is usually just about at 1/4 tank. I do not do a lot of highway driving. I have about 11,100 miles on my JT, 9,000 of that on the swap.

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10

Finally a smart guy asking the right questions, just read a thread where the guy was saying the 35k would really be 50k. He was SO SO WRONG

Here is the answer to your question:

meet Jeepzilla is his name

IMG_0445.jpeg

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepzilla is a 2018 JL Rubicon heavily loaded with options and had a 4.10 gear from the factory.

Have done this several times so I considered the only 4 places in the US I would allow to do this build.

I chose Rubitrux in North Carlolina. They had a customer that had bought two JL's one black and one white and he put the white on their lot on consignment.

And then the fun begins. AMW 4x4 has a 6.4 semi kit that puts out 505 at the rear tires. and comes with a 3/36 warranty???>

Rubitrux did the install and the nice thing is everything works exactly like the 392 4 door Jeep is building on the assembly line these days.

Wait no I lied, it's not the same. The 2018 has the real 4:1 Rubicon transfer case, the 392 Production has the grocery getter mommy 4x4 transfer case which is not nearly as string as a real Rubicon transfer case.

Jeepzilla has a 2.5 inch AEV lift, Fuel Wheels and Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's 37x12.5x20, 3.5 inch exhaust to the tail pipe, Teraflex Falcon steering stabilizer, PSC steering assist, not sure who's trackbar. and every day I learn something net.
Jeepzilla has stock Dana 44's with the original 4.10s and the 8 speed tranny which makes it a blast to drive.

Jeep cost was low 40's, 35k for the conversion with a 3k discount .

When it first arrived in FL the check engine light came on and it seemed according to my old reader to be o2 sensor issue. I called Rubitrux and they called AMW and then AMW called me and asked me what the deal was. I explained and the guy asked if I was pretty handy, I said yes but I just bought this and it has warranty etc and he said two choices, you act as my eyes and hands and I will do the rest. I thought how cool I am talking to one of the engineers that designs these monsters this is going to be very cool.

He Fedex'd me some basic equipment and he asked me to plug it in and then asked me to loosen the ox sensors one by one and we were going to test each one.

We got half way through the second one and I said this is fun but my hands are getting tore up trying to reach between metal parts that are inches apart and each turn of the wrench is not even a half.

He said Mr. Schuble it has been a please but we have reached a point where I feel your experience with amw 4x4 is going to end up with a bad review from you and I am sorry I know you are a busy guy and we want your experience to be a pleasant one. Have a great day and you will hear from us.

Next day I get a call for address verification, I a very close and wanted to make sure you were home. Guy pulls up, it was a Sunday, and he asks for the keys to Jeepzilla and told me to go back to watching football.

Door bell rings again and guy said all done here is my card, my dot numbers, my cell, my ins, as you can see your Jeep is getting a VIP ride as there are no other vehicles on the trailer. In the event you have a tracker I go this route and I stop to see a friend because it's illegal for me to drive straight though. I can assure you that your vehicle is safe and in good hands and if you have any questions, comments, concerns you got my number.

And off he goes.

two days later I get a call that the Jeep is loading and expect it back in your garage tomorrow night.

Next day same truck and trailer arrive and there is Jeepzilla. Truck driver pulled her in the driveway and asked me to sign that I was in receipt of the vehicle. I said thank you and tried ti hand his $100 and he refused it and said very nice of you but not allowed to accept that and after all brand new conversion should not have a check engine light come on after less than a week.

He said in addition I was told to give you this, he handed me a t-shirt and a box. I opened the box to find the following the attached. He said they told him to tell me that box is s important as a single set of keys to your jeep that can never be replaced so dont lose it.

Rubitrux does excellent work and are one of 3 in the US I would allow to do a conversion.

The other two are AMW themselves, and Dakota Customs. There is one in Arizona I won't mention because I have had no dealings with them.

Funny thing is 3/36 on this and when I am done they said they would recommend the 426 package so I would remain under warranty.

SO THE GUYS THAT POST AND SAY YEAH 35K FOR THAN AND THEN AXLES, DRIVE SHAFTS, IS JUST LIKE THE GUY AT DINNER ON SAT NIGHT THAT WENT FERRARI SHOPPING THAT DAY AND HE WAS GOING TO BUY ONE BUT THEY WANTED 25K OVER STICKER. HEY ITS NO BIG DEAL, IF YOU WANT AFFORD IT JUST SAY LITTLE TOO EXPENSIVE FOR MY BLOOD NOT TELL A BUNCH OF BS INFO SO YOU CAN PRETEND YOU ARE A FAT CAT, JUST REMEMBER THERE IS ALWAYS A BIGGER FISH. BE YOURSELF, ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE, BE HAPPY FOR OTHERS EVEN IF THEY HAVE MORE.

I would not hesitate to buy an AMW product after that experience.

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I reached out to a shop a while back. They said everything worked except that auto stop/start. All the infotainment screens etc.

malaise, it’s a significant enough change that your warranty is pretty much voided. I’m going to wait until my warranty is up
you get a 3/36 with the conversion

Sponsored

gissentml

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon (Sarge Green)
Occupation
Program Manager
How much are y’all selling your old engine for?

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Jeepzilla is a 2018 JL Rubicon heavily loaded with options and had a 4.10 gear from the factory.

Have done this several times so I considered the only 4 places in the US I would allow to do this build.

I chose Rubitrux in North Carlolina. They had a customer that had bought two JL's one black and one white and he put the white on their lot on consignment.

And then the fun begins. AMW 4x4 has a 6.4 semi kit that puts out 505 at the rear tires. and comes with a 3/36 warranty???>

Rubitrux did the install and the nice thing is everything works exactly like the 392 4 door Jeep is building on the assembly line these days.

Wait no I lied, it's not the same. The 2018 has the real 4:1 Rubicon transfer case, the 392 Production has the grocery getter mommy 4x4 transfer case which is not nearly as string as a real Rubicon transfer case.

Jeepzilla has a 2.5 inch AEV lift, Fuel Wheels and Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's 37x12.5x20, 3.5 inch exhaust to the tail pipe, Teraflex Falcon steering stabilizer, PSC steering assist, not sure who's trackbar. and every day I learn something net.
Jeepzilla has stock Dana 44's with the original 4.10s and the 8 speed tranny which makes it a blast to drive.

Jeep cost was low 40's, 35k for the conversion with a 3k discount .

When it first arrived in FL the check engine light came on and it seemed according to my old reader to be o2 sensor issue. I called Rubitrux and they called AMW and then AMW called me and asked me what the deal was. I explained and the guy asked if I was pretty handy, I said yes but I just bought this and it has warranty etc and he said two choices, you act as my eyes and hands and I will do the rest. I thought how cool I am talking to one of the engineers that designs these monsters this is going to be very cool.

He Fedex'd me some basic equipment and he asked me to plug it in and then asked me to loosen the ox sensors one by one and we were going to test each one.

We got half way through the second one and I said this is fun but my hands are getting tore up trying to reach between metal parts that are inches apart and each turn of the wrench is not even a half.

He said Mr. Schuble it has been a please but we have reached a point where I feel your experience with amw 4x4 is going to end up with a bad review from you and I am sorry I know you are a busy guy and we want your experience to be a pleasant one. Have a great day and you will hear from us.

Next day I get a call for address verification, I a very close and wanted to make sure you were home. Guy pulls up, it was a Sunday, and he asks for the keys to Jeepzilla and told me to go back to watching football.

Door bell rings again and guy said all done here is my card, my dot numbers, my cell, my ins, as you can see your Jeep is getting a VIP ride as there are no other vehicles on the trailer. In the event you have a tracker I go this route and I stop to see a friend because it's illegal for me to drive straight though. I can assure you that your vehicle is safe and in good hands and if you have any questions, comments, concerns you got my number.

And off he goes.

two days later I get a call that the Jeep is loading and expect it back in your garage tomorrow night.

Next day same truck and trailer arrive and there is Jeepzilla. Truck driver pulled her in the driveway and asked me to sign that I was in receipt of the vehicle. I said thank you and tried ti hand his $100 and he refused it and said very nice of you but not allowed to accept that and after all brand new conversion should not have a check engine light come on after less than a week.

He said in addition I was told to give you this, he handed me a t-shirt and a box. I opened the box to find the following the attached. He said they told him to tell me that box is s important as a single set of keys to your jeep that can never be replaced so dont lose it.

Rubitrux does excellent work and are one of 3 in the US I would allow to do a conversion.

The other two are AMW themselves, and Dakota Customs. There is one in Arizona I won't mention because I have had no dealings with them.

Funny thing is 3/36 on this and when I am done they said they would recommend the 426 package so I would remain under warranty.

SO THE GUYS THAT POST AND SAY YEAH 35K FOR THAN AND THEN AXLES, DRIVE SHAFTS, IS JUST LIKE THE GUY AT DINNER ON SAT NIGHT THAT WENT FERRARI SHOPPING THAT DAY AND HE WAS GOING TO BUY ONE BUT THEY WANTED 25K OVER STICKER. HEY ITS NO BIG DEAL, IF YOU WANT AFFORD IT JUST SAY LITTLE TOO EXPENSIVE FOR MY BLOOD NOT TELL A BUNCH OF BS INFO SO YOU CAN PRETEND YOU ARE A FAT CAT, JUST REMEMBER THERE IS ALWAYS A BIGGER FISH. BE YOURSELF, ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE, BE HAPPY FOR OTHERS EVEN IF THEY HAVE MORE.

I would not hesitate to buy an AMW product after that experience.

Jeep Gladiator Couple questions on the 6.4 HEMI SWAP IMG_0358.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Couple questions on the 6.4 HEMI SWAP IMG_0358.JPG
Awesome build! What was the bottom line cost when it was all said and done?

MarylandMojave

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Self
Finally a smart guy asking the right questions, just read a thread where the guy was saying the 35k would really be 50k. He was SO SO WRONG
I have a quote from a shop in MD, from May 2023. 392 swap into a 2021 Mojave, and the suspension work they recommend. It’s $52k after a $2k credit for the stock motor. Just the 392 swap is $35k parts, $7k labor, $2k transfer case swap.

GtownTX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Power Wagon, Durango RT, Commander
Occupation
Tech
Not far off what I would expect.
I have a quote from a shop in MD, from May 2023. 392 swap into a 2021 Mojave, and the suspension work they recommend. It’s $52k after a $2k credit for the stock motor. Just the 392 swap is $35k parts, $7k labor, $2k transfer case swap.
Mine was a couple grand less, did include an EVO 2.5 (for diesel) lift, regearing, chromemoly axle shafts, PRC steering, front driveshaft, synergy track bar, etc. Probably only way to compare is to go line by line.
Sponsored