Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
This is the first news of the recall affecting the JT/JL.

When you talk to them again. Please ask what years for the recall.
Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Does anyone have any information on if this pump has been re-designed or what the replacement will be?

I cannot comprehend replacing defective parts with more defective parts.

FCA and other brands should get Bosch directly involved. We need a plan of action.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Just an update on my end, after driving out from California to Las Vegas to hopefully pick up the 21 Gladiator, things went downhill. They installed the fuel pump and the PCM stopped responding to everything they were doing. They ordered a new PCM and tried to start it up, only to find that the new PCM fried almost immediately after plugging in the battery. So they've got to open a case with Mopar, and I'm not getting a used 2021 Gladiator Eco with 12k miles on it. Damn

On to the good news... since they already wasted quite a bit of my time/money/etc, they completely made things right by selling me this beauty... a bright white 2022 Eco Overland with Tow package, technology package, premium audio, preferred package, window tint, satin mopar grill, etc etc. I think the only thing I didn't get was leather to be honest, and I didn't want it. Window sticker was $58,585 and I scooped her up for just a hair over 48k. And the best part is she rewarded me with some decent fuel mileage on the trip home.

Jeep Gladiator CP4 Fuel Pump EcoDiesel Recall Gladdys.JPG

Jeep Gladiator CP4 Fuel Pump EcoDiesel Recall Gladdys2.JPG
Jeep Gladiator CP4 Fuel Pump EcoDiesel Recall Gladdys3.JPG
Jeep Gladiator CP4 Fuel Pump EcoDiesel Recall Gladdys4.JPG

Sorry I can't be more help with the recall thing... by the time I was done we were just ready to crash out in a hotel somewhere and didn't feel like getting more info.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Just an update on my end, after driving out from California to Las Vegas to hopefully pick up the 21 Gladiator, things went downhill. They installed the fuel pump and the PCM stopped responding to everything they were doing. They ordered a new PCM and tried to start it up, only to find that the new PCM fried almost immediately after plugging in the battery. So they've got to open a case with Mopar, and I'm not getting a used 2021 Gladiator Eco with 12k miles on it. Damn

On to the good news... since they already wasted quite a bit of my time/money/etc, they completely made things right by selling me this beauty... a bright white 2022 Eco Overland with Tow package, technology package, premium audio, preferred package, window tint, satin mopar grill, etc etc. I think the only thing I didn't get was leather to be honest, and I didn't want it. Window sticker was $58,585 and I scooped her up for just a hair over 48k. And the best part is she rewarded me with some decent fuel mileage on the trip home.

Sorry I can't be more help with the recall thing... by the time I was done we were just ready to crash out in a hotel somewhere and didn't feel like getting more info.
That's a steal

Sponsored

MrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I just came across this..."Banks has utilized hardened components throughout the system that improve reliability and longevity when operating on lower lubricity fuels."
Here: https://www.offroadxtreme.com/news/3-0l-diesel-engine-option-for-your-diesel-engine-conversion/
So I wonder if these parts are available to purchase somewhere? It also confirms the need for an lubricity additive.

I also found the CP4.2 is an improvement over the CP4 (probably the hardened pieces) obviously the CP4.2 still has problems.

Last edited:

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I just came across this..."Banks has utilized hardened components throughout the system that improve reliability and longevity when operating on lower lubricity fuels."
Here: https://www.offroadxtreme.com/news/3-0l-diesel-engine-option-for-your-diesel-engine-conversion/
So I wonder if these parts are available to purchase somewhere? It also confirms the need for an lubricity additive.

I also found the CP4.2 is an improvement over the CP4 (probably the hardened pieces) obviously the CP4.2 still has problems.
The difference between the 4.1 and 4.2 is the quantity of pumping components. Same rotating pump assembly. (Same failure point….)
seriously just wish someone can come up with a cp3 retrofit.
photos work best :)

9318555E-4CB8-4BAE-9415-0F1ECFC5BD70.jpeg

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Could one argue that with double the pumping components the unit is working half as hard and that this fact has led to the lesser number of failures? I religiously use 2oz of Edt always myself and will continue to do so. We are also pumping less volume than this pump would have to in a larger displacement engine.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Could one argue that with double the pumping components the unit is working half as hard and that this fact has led to the lesser number of failures? I religiously use 2oz of Edt always myself and will continue to do so. We are also pumping less volume than this pump would have to in a larger displacement engine.
Yes. they revised the ramp design to be less agressive but did not fix the design issue.

see below:

The issue is that the "lifters" with rollers rotate 90 degrees. THERE IS NOTHING AT ALL keeping them oriented correctly aside from spring pressure. Any cavitation or maybe even loss of pressure (injector or something) could cause these lifters to bounce and rotate.

Bosch needs to re-design the actual roller lifters to be a uniball design with the end of the lifter crimped around the ball. think ballpoint pen! That would allow everything to rotate 360 degress and still work! Then make the ball super hard or DLC coated. Done deal?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Yes. they revised the ramp design to be less agressive but did not fix the design issue.

see below:

The issue is that the "lifters" with rollers rotate 90 degrees. THERE IS NOTHING AT ALL keeping them oriented correctly aside from spring pressure. Any cavitation or maybe even loss of pressure (injector or something) could cause these lifters to bounce and rotate.

Bosch needs to re-design the actual roller lifters to be a uniball design with the end of the lifter crimped around the ball. think ballpoint pen! That would allow everything to rotate 360 degress and still work! Then make the ball super hard or DLC coated. Done deal?
Or machine a anti-rotation pin into the bore and piston.

Sponsored

MrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I added a tow bar to my list of stuff to carry when traveling. Ridiculous but the hell if I am leaving my Jeep at a dealership hundreds of miles away especially considering there is a good chance they won't have the parts to fix it.
They should double the payout on the next class action lawsuit for continuing to use the same damn pump.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I added a tow bar to my list of stuff to carry when traveling. Ridiculous but the hell if I am leaving my Jeep at a dealership hundreds of miles away especially considering there is a good chance they won't have the parts to fix it.
They should double the payout on the next class action lawsuit for continuing to use the same damn pump.
I have a Blue Ox 10,000 lb tow bar for sale. Have the adapters for a 7/8" pin too.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Funny, not funny?? I totally understand/agree with what you are saying!

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
looks like a jeep recall may be certain ?
Sponsored