Zybane

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Production dates June 4, 2020 to May 13, 2022 effecting 7,375 units per the recall report attached to this post.

Bottom of the report states “The remedy component is a HPFP with improved durability.”
Holy crap my JTRD was build on May 20th 2022. Pretty close. So looks like I should have this "durability improvement". I've also used EDT since driving it off the lot.

Hotshot EDT. Changing your filter is good. Priming the system properly afterward is great.
Can you explain what a properly primed system is after replacing the fuel filter or draining water?
Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Can you explain what a properly primed system is after replacing the fuel filter or draining water?
To properly prime the fuel system you key on the vehicle and listen for the fuel pump tone to change to a high pitch. I do this a few times. The HPFP is not engaged during this process and any air in the lines is pushed back into the tank when priming.

Problems occur when you replace the filter and run it with air in the lines as the HPFP and injectors must pass the air in the lines and run without fuel.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
Jeep Gladiator CP4 Fuel Pump EcoDiesel Recall 1670002114411

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-technology/cp4-2-fuel-pump/

That image tells the complete full story.... Piston rotates due to aeration / piston sticking in cylinder due to lack of lube / contaminants.

1. The fix to this design IMO is to ensure the piston cant rotate....
ALSO
2. (most importantly) I don't believe a fuel pump should be designed as a life long part.... They should expect failure. A failure should not result in metal shavings touching the injectors... A bypass kit (or proper fuel routing) should route the contaminants back to the fuel tank not directly to the injectors....

Cleaning a tank, replacing a fuel filter should be everything that is required after a fuel pump failure.

It's flat out ridiculous that the pump is designed in such a way that didn't account for failures. It's a pump... PUMPS are wearable items.....

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
After reading that article. We are not the only one's. Would have to think that someone is planning a class action lawsuit.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
1670002114411.png

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-technology/cp4-2-fuel-pump/

That image tells the complete full story.... Piston rotates due to aeration / piston sticking in cylinder due to lack of lube / contaminants.

1. The fix to this design IMO is to ensure the piston cant rotate....
ALSO
2. (most importantly) I don't believe a fuel pump should be designed as a life long part.... They should expect failure. A failure should not result in metal shavings touching the injectors... A bypass kit (or proper fuel routing) should route the contaminants back to the fuel tank not directly to the injectors....

Cleaning a tank, replacing a fuel filter should be everything that is required after a fuel pump failure.

It's flat out ridiculous that the pump is designed in such a way that didn't account for failures. It's a pump... PUMPS are wearable items.....
Looks fine to me, those are speed grooves to allow better lubrication.

Sponsored

First Name
Rocco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD 2021
Anyone have any experience with the dealer allowing them to trade in their vehicle because of this situation? I can only imagine this is going to happen at the worst time, driving up i70 and causing a massive problem if not accident. I have a baby on the way and want something that doesn't have the chance of suddenly exploding.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Anyone have any experience with the dealer allowing them to trade in their vehicle because of this situation? I can only imagine this is going to happen at the worst time, driving up i70 and causing a massive problem if not accident. I have a baby on the way and want something that doesn't have the chance of suddenly exploding.
I wouldn't really freak out about this that bad. What ever you trade in for might have a computer, fuel pump, or other electrical failure that would leave you stranded on the highway just like the chance of the CP3 failing.

In living, there are just some inherent risks.......To me this is what makes life worth living. Some may agrue that I take "Too many chances", but those risks are what really allows me the feeling to being alive to me. Anything less is just living in the "Matrix"?

Do you worry about slipping in the shower and having a life ending injury leaving your baby with one less parent? Probably not, but there is a probably higher chance of that happening?

Go enjoy your truck, but take blankets and other basic survival supplies along with you just as you should especially during winter time in your area?

Last edited:
First Name
Rocco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD 2021
I wouldn't really freak out about this that bad. What ever you trade in for might have a computer, fuel pump, or other electrical failure that would leave you stranded on the highway just like the chance of the CP3 failing.

In living, there are just some inherent risks.......To me this is what makes life worth living. Some may agrue that I take "Too many chances", but those risks are what really allows me the feeling to being alive to me. Anything less is just living in the "Matrix"?

Do you worry about slipping in the shower and having a life ending injury leaving your baby with one less parent? Probably not, but there is a probably higher chance of that happening?

Go enjoy your truck, but take blankets and other basic survival supplies along with you just as you should especially during winter time in your area?
Yeah yeah yeah. I’ve had the truck for sale so wondering if I can force their hand. Tired of having to deal with dealerships. Anything and everything is pulling teeth and this is just another on the list. I liked this truck but just not happy with the experience after the sale.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Just had my 2nd Jeep Wave oil change and tire rotation done today. I had the service manager check on the recall for mine. He said that I'm not on the list. But said that might change.

Sponsored

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link

100% this. Life is wild, and you and your loved ones could potentially die at any moment. Driving in general, without a CP3 failure is already a really dangerous activity.

Anyhow... memento mori, memento vivere

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
100% this. Life is wild, and you and your loved ones could potentially die at any moment. Driving in general, without a CP3 failure is already a really dangerous activity.

Since I don't speak Latin.....had to look that up! :)

First Name
Rocco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD 2021

I think the difference here is I didn't spend 60 grand on my shower and I don't expect my shower to suddenly drop through the floor causing the injury. I understand its a comparison but I bought this vehicle and expected it to be reliable. I understand things happen but this is pretty frustrating because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the failure. Sure driving is dangerous but you can drive defensively, follow the speed limit, take less busy roads and control WHAT vehicle you drive.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I think the difference here is I didn't spend 60 grand on my shower and I don't expect my shower to suddenly drop through the floor causing the injury. I understand its a comparison but I bought this vehicle and expected it to be reliable. I understand things happen but this is pretty frustrating because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the failure. Sure driving is dangerous but you can drive defensively, follow the speed limit, take less busy roads and control WHAT vehicle you drive.
I agree with you, all valid points! Unfortunately all things come with pros and cons, and we just gotta find the best way to work with/around them. It sounds like that's what you're trying to do, so that's great :)

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Even if you include every tile and screw in the shower job, the JT might have more total parts............definitely more different part numbers and different manufacturers/suppliers! More humans assembled it no doubt.

I get your frustration. I have been thinking about our backup plan if is shits while we are 4 states away while towing the RV or 100 miles off the pavement while traveling alone. Uhaul truck? At least they are cheaper heading into CA than out! Hell, rent a big enough truck to just drive the JT in the back and briong it home? Of course it won't be running at this point either......

Then when I get home I don't have a pickup for work or trailer towing duties? Then have to drive/fly back and retrieve it after they fix it in the spring assuming they get parts?
Sponsored