Sponsored

Diesel Engine issue tracking thread... also please post if NO issues!

Has your EcoDiesel Engine had any critical issues?

• My CP4 pump has failed, accidentally let vehicle run out of Diesel causing air ingestion into supply

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

1is2many

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator rubicon diesel
Occupation
Construction Planning Supervisor
They pulled the cab to replace exhaust manifold? i have a strange noise on the left side i can hear at lower speeds, sounds almost like a belt or idler, but could be exhaust. What kind if noise did you get
I hear same noise but not sure if it's the turbo... but yeah almost sounds like a belt.
Sponsored

Rat2Desert

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Creative Director
At about 17K miles had a very slight fluid leak, especially noticeable after driving all day. Dealer said it was the transfer case, ordered a whole new case, which took 2 months. No more leaks, no idea what caused it.

Just last week the main belt failed at 22K, no hard usage, packing the engine with mud, etc. The dealer said can't tell why, nothing else was harmed.

Very light offroad so far, about 4K miles of pretty serious towing . . . 3,000 pound trailer, full payload in the vehicle. Hot days in Arizona (Sept), very high mountain passes in Wyoming. No overheating, was careful to watch EGT's and keep it all cool.

So far I'm very happy with the vehicle and the engine, even with the above. My only frustration is how busy dealers are, the one closest to me is 6-8 weeks out for any kind of service. I took it there for the belt failure, even knowing it was just the belt could not look at it until July !

OP
OP
Zybane

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
So 120 votes now, and 3 out of 120 votes have CP4 pump failures. Granted the vehicles in question are still fairly new, but the number reflects that it's not necessarily a crisis at the moment. 3 out of 120 is still alarming.

Also of note, no CP4 failures reported from those running lubrication additives. It would be interesting to see if we get anyone reporting using lubricating additives long term pop up with a CP4 failure. (Hope not)

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
P00AF code at 7000 miles and every time I tow my camper. Probably 15 times total as now I am at 18000. It requires a power cycle and the engine power comes back with CEL for a few more cycles before it clears. It gets really annoying when you are doing 70 on a holiday weekend and all of a sudden you slow to 45mph. Plenty of fingers to go around.

Sponsored

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
27k on wife's 21 JLURD, gad burned harness issue
3k on my 22 JTRD, high pressure fuel pump toasted and egr harness bad

OP
OP
Zybane

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
27k on wife's 21 JLURD, gad burned harness issue
3k on my 22 JTRD, high pressure fuel pump toasted and egr harness bad
Do you have any more details on your CP4 pump failure?

omgoddard

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 DJTR, 2013 JKU
Currently down in Burlington, Colorado while on my way to Moab from NC. Dash spit out an error that the exhuast system required service and upon pulling into a hotel it said exhaust filter was at 90% full.

omgoddard

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 DJTR, 2013 JKU
Currently down in Burlington, Colorado while on my way to Moab from NC. Dash spit out an error that the exhuast system required service and upon pulling into a hotel it said exhaust filter was at 90% full.

Following up here - Dealer did a forced regen and said it's good to go now. Not sure why it didn't do the regen naturally as it's been doing the past 21k miles.

They also mentioned it was my fuel filter that caused the issue and that they were going to charge me $ for the regen for not having replaced it proactively.

BUT, when I told them it was replaced 7 weeks/3500 miles ago and they said ok, the regen is covered under warranty.....but when I asked them if they replaced the fuel filter. They said no.:whatsgoingon:

Who knows. Just happy to be on the road now as I'm driving from NC to Utah and I'm currently at Limon, CO.

Sponsored

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
Do you have any more details on your CP4 pump failure?
Nope, not heard a word from the dealer.. Have to replace the fuel system is all I know....

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
I just keep thinking that if these motors weren't clogged up with all these emissions gadgets our biggest complaint on this forum would be the price of diesel.
Likely the most accurate statement there is about the ED

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
They pulled the cab to replace exhaust manifold? i have a strange noise on the left side i can hear at lower speeds, sounds almost like a belt or idler, but could be exhaust. What kind if noise did you get
I hear same noise but not sure if it's the turbo... but yeah almost sounds like a belt.
Hmmmm. Why do I feel like I have the same issue. Mine makes like a chirp/squeal noise when I shut down or if I blip the throttle ever so slightly from Idle. I can also hear it moving when taking off from a stop. I also was thinking it's a belt. I have an appointment at the dealer next week and was going to have them take a look.

OP
OP
Zybane

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Brand new 2022 Gladiator, 400 miles and have a rear main seal oil leak. 1st Gen EcoDiesel in my 2014 Grand Cherokee had the cam slip engine destruction issue.

So I'm 0 for 2 on EcoDiesels. I guess I am a glutton for punishment! I voted for "Major engine related problem" since the transmission needs to come out to replace a rear main seal.

briandmiles

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2021 JTR ecodiesel, GMC Yukon XL Denali
I marked the last box as I'm on my second engine. The second one has been mostly flawless although I have had some of the temperature derating (twice).
Sponsored