What if: No Diesel?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
There are a couple of individuals on the board who have had bad experiences w/ the Ecodiesel in the past & love to re-re-re-post their woes about them & they like to plant the seed that Jeep possibly may not release the Gladiator with the diesel (or at least not in all trims).
What would you do if these nay-sayers are right? If the diesel is not an option, would you go with the 3.6L? Could you wait for the rumored turbo straight 6? Colorado diesel maybe? I suppose it's a scenario worth considering-
Sponsored

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
There are a couple of individuals on the board who have had bad experiences w/ the Ecodiesel in the past & love to re-re-re-post their woes about them & they like to plant the seed that Jeep possibly may not release the Gladiator with the diesel (or at least not in all trims).
What would you do if these nay-sayers are right? If the diesel is not an option, would you go with the 3.6L? Could you wait for the rumored turbo straight 6? Colorado diesel maybe? I suppose it's a scenario worth considering-
After I cry...

I'd probably just go with the gasser.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Other than the fact that I firmly believe the diesel will be released. IF they come out and say it won't be released, I'll just get the gasser

Evo_KnEvo

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura MDX, 2014 Subaru STi
If diesel isn’t released, I’ll likely buy something else. I’ve owned 3 Jeeps. For 25 years I’ve always had one as a daily driver. My commute is 60 miles, 4 days a week. The mpg’s on 37’s, which is at least what I’d want, will be horrible. It wasn’t so bad when I worked 10 minutes from home. I can certainly afford the fuel costs but it’s just not a road I want to go down again. Fill up on Sunday and again on Wednesday. No thanks. If the gasser would get 18ish. Maybe. But really, I want that torque ! Last Jeep had 37x14.50x15, 4.56’s, NV4500 with 432 ft lbs torque. Effortless moving those tires. All I’m waiting on is an announcement from Jeep.

Sponsored

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
I do believe that would completely remove it from my list of possibilities. Especially if they make the bone headed move to cancel the diesel and not announce at the same time that to appease the people wanting more power that the next version would be released with a hemi.

CDJeeps25

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep WJ, 2007 Jeep WK CRD, 2018 Jeep WK2 EcoDiesel.
I test drove a Gladiator this past weekend and was not impressed with the 3.6. Also test drove the 2.0 turbo wrangler, which was better than the 3.6 but I am in love with the 3.0 Eco diesel in my girlfriends 2018 Grand Cherokee. I dont think I would get a Gladiator without the diesel.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I'd get the glasser and look at a conservative PD supercharger. I would be upset, but I want a Gladiator either way.

PK2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranchero, Triumph Speed Triple, Isuzu Dmax
Without a diesel I would buy a Landcruiser 79 series twin cab without a second thought.

And without a diesel, Jeep may as well not bring it to Australia. Jeeps sales here have already dropped from a high of 30408 in 2014 to just 7306 last year........ surely that is unsustainable in the long term. Jeep need the Gladiator to work, but it has to be at the right price. If the Gladiator Rubicon is over $80000 aud, it'll have minimal sales unfortunately, when we can buy the 79 series Landcruiser twin cab with the v8 turbo diesel for less than 80k, with legendary Toyota reliability and resale value.

I hope it succeeds, I want one! But only in diesel.

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
The naysayers are just that, naysayers, no more, no less.

History is your friend: They have been putting diesels in Jeeps off and on for years, in fact, I have seen plenty of OEM diesel in TJ's. There is a market for them here in the US and I fully expect to see them in Jeeps.

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel

History is your friend: They have been putting diesels in Jeeps off and on for years, in fact, I have seen plenty of OEM diesel in TJ's. There is a market for them here in the US and I fully expect to see them in Jeeps.
:like:

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
The EPA drove the last nail in my coffin of diesel desires with Tier IV emissions.

It will matter not one whit if they don't build it, and I think that people are going to be disappointed with the return on investment if they do.

All of that said, I hope they do build it, because freedom.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
The EPA drove the last nail in my coffin of diesel desires with Tier IV emissions.

It will matter not one whit if they don't build it, and I think that people are going to be disappointed with the return on investment if they do.

All of that said, I hope they do build it, because freedom.
The EPA, some facts: They are the MOST POWERFUL Agency in the US GOVT, they make the FBI, CIA pale by comparison. The EPA has unlimited authority to control gases and liquids...Water and the very air we breathe. Got a BBQ in the backyard, a pool, a roof, you EXHALE Carbon Dioxide, then they can and will control you, your property, you land and they can take your land with or without real justification.

The EPA would make Hitler PROUD!

The EPA under Obama weaponized itself with major munitions buys in excess of $100 MILLION in bullets, guns (full auto AR's) and the establishment of a Police force!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Yes, history is indeed our friend. Which is why I would not hold my breath waiting for the EcoDiesel in the Gladiator.

Since FCA took control of Chrysler many years ago now, they've had a track record of delayed launches of new vehicles. And then once the vehicles did launch they have had a record of getting them to market very slowly. Many times this has been due to issues with quality or vehicle calibration. A great example would be the new Cherokee, which got stocked on the factory lots for months before even being released to dealers after they found "issues" that needed to be resolved with the 9-speed transmissions, as well as other things. And those delays have trickled down to individual options on specific vehicles as well. Nothing FCA has ever done in the U.S. has happened on time.

They've been promising the EcoDiesel to the JL guys for two full calendar years now. Go over to the JL side and see if you can do a search and dig up those old threads. And we all know that the Ram 1500 is the creme of the crop for FCA...they will give it the EcoDiesel before any other vehicle in the line-up. Right now they're claiming "Q4 2019" which likely means between Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday for the Ram. So that puts Jeep at calendar year 2020 at the earliest, IF if happens at all. With the emissions scandals, monetary pay-backs to current EcoDiesel owners ongoing, production issues, higher cost of diesel fuel, mechanical issues that low sulfur diesel has created in the U.S. because of the EPA, and all the other things...I don't see any reason why we should feel like the EcoDiesel is a 100% certainty.

If the EcoDiesel were open for ordering last month when I placed my order, I would have strongly considered it. But I've been a Mopar guy for nearly 20 years and I've learned not to wait around on them for "what ifs".
Sponsored

Last edited: