Sponsored

Diesel Engine issue tracking thread... also please post if NO issues!

Has your EcoDiesel Engine had any critical issues?

• My CP4 pump has failed, accidentally let vehicle run out of Diesel causing air ingestion into supply

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Same boat as me, spent 60 days or so in the shop, 35 for one repair.... I just surrendered it to the buy back team last friday... about to order a 23
I love my JT, but if mine qualified for a buy back I don't know that I'd be ordering another. LOL We are a sick bunch on this forum.
Sponsored

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
I love my JT, but if mine qualified for a buy back I don't know that I'd be ordering another. LOL We are a sick bunch on this forum.
Hoping it was a one off issue and limited to the 22's, like the 2019 rams were crap...

Wife's 21 JLURD is chugging along at 29k

Butch-R-Vols

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland 3.0 Diesel, 2011 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
So far I have been well pleased with my truck. I don't romp and stomp her and I'm getting 28 mpg in town and 31 on the highway at 75 mph. A whole lot better that my '69 CJ5 with the 225 eng. LOL

Sponsored

TomPeak

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Land Surveyor
At about 17K miles had a very slight fluid leak, especially noticeable after driving all day. Dealer said it was the transfer case, ordered a whole new case, which took 2 months. No more leaks, no idea what caused it.

Just last week the main belt failed at 22K, no hard usage, packing the engine with mud, etc. The dealer said can't tell why, nothing else was harmed.

Very light offroad so far, about 4K miles of pretty serious towing . . . 3,000 pound trailer, full payload in the vehicle. Hot days in Arizona (Sept), very high mountain passes in Wyoming. No overheating, was careful to watch EGT's and keep it all cool.

So far I'm very happy with the vehicle and the engine, even with the above. My only frustration is how busy dealers are, the one closest to me is 6-8 weeks out for any kind of service. I took it there for the belt failure, even knowing it was just the belt could not look at it until July !
When you were monitoring your EGT, did you monitor EGT1? What was your highest temp observation while towing? Others if you have been monitoring EGT1 while towing, what is your highest observation?

Rat2Desert

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Creative Director
Same boat as me, spent 60 days or so in the shop, 35 for one repair.... I just surrendered it to the buy back team last friday... about to order a 23
When you were monitoring your EGT, did you monitor EGT1? What was your highest temp observation while towing? Others if you have been monitoring EGT1 while towing, what is your highest observation?
Yes, monitored constantly and used EGT as my limiting factor. I kept EGT below 1200 always, never saw high temps in oil, water or trans, usually kept the offroad pages up. Always manually shifting when under any kind of a load while towing.

Probably only 75 miles offroad due to the front suspension bottoming out. The parts for the fix came in while it has been down with all the issues.

Also, only 1 derate, not while towing, this was due to heat sink while stopped in Quartzite on a 120 degree day. Since then I don't turn the engine off when stopped for gas or less than 10 minutes.

Don't know, I'm going to stop by the dealership and see if I can get some more information out of the mechanics about why all the metal. I don't expect much, I can imagine they have not done any further investigation. They probably are leaving that to Jeep factory engineers.

TomPeak

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Land Surveyor
Yes, monitored constantly and used EGT as my limiting factor. I kept EGT below 1200 always, never saw high temps in oil, water or trans, usually kept the offroad pages up. Always manually shifting when under any kind of a load while towing.

Probably only 75 miles offroad due to the front suspension bottoming out. The parts for the fix came in while it has been down with all the issues.

Also, only 1 derate, not while towing, this was due to heat sink while stopped in Quartzite on a 120 degree day. Since then I don't turn the engine off when stopped for gas or less than 10 minutes.

Don't know, I'm going to stop by the dealership and see if I can get some more information out of the mechanics about why all the metal. I don't expect much, I can imagine they have not done any further investigation. They probably are leaving that to Jeep factory engineers.
I’ve never derated towing about the same weight as you in 95-98 temps and have had high oil temp of 252 once. My opinion and it’s just that, an opinion, if you watch that EGT1 temp and stay at 1300 and below, stay idling during the trip to prevent heat soak, the oil and coolant temps take care of themselves. A couple additions, I use the Cooldown on setting of the Tazer Mini when the ambient temp hits 85+ which kicks on the max fan function. It helps for sure and I touched 1320 EGT1 once going through the hills of Kentucky last week. Long grade near the end of many long grades, slowed to about 60 mph and she chugged right along. My first tow with our 22’ JTRD this summer was not so good and I learned that trip that the torque of the engine is far greater than the limits of its outer parts/system. Happy travels Rat!

Rat2Desert

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Creative Director
I’ve never derated towing about the same weight as you in 95-98 temps and have had high oil temp of 252 once. My opinion and it’s just that, an opinion, if you watch that EGT1 temp and stay at 1300 and below, stay idling during the trip to prevent heat soak, the oil and coolant temps take care of themselves. A couple additions, I use the Cooldown on setting of the Tazer Mini when the ambient temp hits 85+ which kicks on the max fan function. It helps for sure and I touched 1320 EGT1 once going through the hills of Kentucky last week. Long grade near the end of many long grades, slowed to about 60 mph and she chugged right along. My first tow with our 22’ JTRD this summer was not so good and I learned that trip that the torque of the engine is far greater than the limits of its outer parts/system. Happy travels Rat!
Thanks. And yes pretty much identical experiences, cooling is the limiting factor for towing speed on these vehicles. I was prepared for that having towed the same rig extensively with a Grand Cherokee. Same experience, slow on steep grades, watching coolant temp, often running the heater at full blast with the windows open. Out here at altitude on a long steep grade that means 45 mph.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ower-derating-as-temps-rise.45447/post-976779

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zybane

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
So far I have been well pleased with my truck. I don't romp and stomp her and I'm getting 28 mpg in town and 31 on the highway at 75 mph. A whole lot better that my '69 CJ5 with the 225 eng. LOL
28 MPG IN TOWN? Whaaaa....

I get like 21 in-town and I don't exactly floor it. It's much better on the highway, closer to like 26-27 AND I use additives/cetane booster. Stock JTRD with a RDL bed cap.

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
28 MPG IN TOWN? Whaaaa....

I get like 21 in-town and I don't exactly floor it. It's much better on the highway, closer to like 26-27 AND I use additives/cetane booster. Stock JTRD with a RDL bed cap.
I’m with you. Getting 21-22 in town. I’d have to drive like a grandma to get 25+. Still miles better than my old JKU at 14-15 in town…

woffman5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2021 JLU 4xe
Occupation
U.S. Navy LDO (Nuclear Power)
I’m with you. Getting 21-22 in town. I’d have to drive like a grandma to get 25+. Still miles better than my old JKU at 14-15 in town…
I won't tell you what I'm getting with 37s and 1500# teardrop behind it. I drive like an a**hole though, so.....

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I put my banks on Turbine inlet temp (TIT). Reads the same as EGT1 in fact I think its using the egt probe to formulate the turbo inlet temp.

I have seen 1550 for a split second with a banks derringer that is brutal. It immediately cuts back to 1300-1400.

1200 is ideal safe no issues egt. Up to 1400 on hard acceleration or "peak" is ok for a short time on a modern diesel. I wouldnt want to exceed 1200 on hills loaded with a trailer which should be about what factory does.

Butch-R-Vols

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland 3.0 Diesel, 2011 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
I'm pure stock for now and it is unbelievable but true. I haven't checked for accuracy with GPS and such. This is off the dash board calculations. Not a Grandma yet but I don't lead foot it either. Plenty of power when I need it. Y'all are running those heavy wildpeaks. I'm running 32" tires and they only weigh 41 lbs each. Makes a world of difference. When I put larger tires on her, I will see the MPG's drop some.
Sponsored

Last edited: