Diesel Performance

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
Where do people get these goofy oil change cost comparisons!?

4x the cost?

The ecodiesel is allowed to use rotella t6. $20 for 5 quarts engine needs 8. Filter is $7-$30 depending on whether you want uncertified white box chinesium or genuine Mopar.

My 3.6 takes a 5 quart jug and partial 6th quart to fill oil filter is $9.

Given a 5 quart of mobile 1 is usually $25-30, and rotella t6 is $20 it evens out.

All told it's a $10-$20 difference if using rotella t6 in the and 3.0 and Mobil 1 in the 3.6 depending on where you buy from and if you plan around sales.

I can't speak for dealer changes though but the 4xs the cost claim is just being downright dishonest from my point of view

Sure when the ecodiesel required their special cert oil before fca pulled their head out of their rear and the ecodiesel filter was being gouged it used to cost $120 to change. Now it's $50-60 with extra oil left over. I suppose these cost comparisons may have come from the early spec requirement compared to people changing their oil with fram filters and Walmart brand oil.
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Sorry, I really prefer not to say as I try not to complain about specific products. If I like something I will share it with the world if I dont I will keep the brand/make/model to myself as it could have been a fluke or a just happened to get the Friday night special. For example I have not shared the name of my dealership because they have not met my expectation. I have shared the name of the off-road shop (Zeus) that I am working with as they have done a nice job holding my hand and providing valuable input into my build.
Ok I can respect that.

I do have a couple more questions though. What was the displacement and was it an in-line or V configuration? Just kidding!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Where do people get these goofy oil change cost comparisons!?

4x the cost?

The ecodiesel is allowed to use rotella t6. $20 for 5 quarts engine needs 8. Filter is $7-$30 depending on whether you want uncertified white box chinesium or genuine Mopar.

My 3.6 takes a 5 quart jug and partial 6th quart to fill oil filter is $9.

Given a 5 quart of mobile 1 is usually $25-30, and rotella t6 is $20 it evens out.

All told it's a $10-$20 difference if using rotella t6 in the and 3.0 and Mobil 1 in the 3.6 depending on where you buy from and if you plan around sales.

I can't speak for dealer changes though but the 4xs the cost claim is just being downright dishonest from my point of view

Sure when the ecodiesel required their special cert oil before fca pulled their head out of their rear and the ecodiesel filter was being gouged it used to cost $120 to change. Now it's $50-60 with extra oil left over. I suppose these cost comparisons may have come from the early spec requirement compared to people changing their oil with fram filters and Walmart brand oil.
Yeah I guess it depends on where you shop. The Walmart oil is actually made by Warren and they've been doing oils for a century. That stuff out-performs a lot of bigger name oils in testing and it costs $15.98 per jug. So after the $9 Mopar filter I'm at $25 bucks.

All the EcoDiesel owners I've talked to are spending $80-110 to do an oil change and filters. What oil are they using? Which oil and fuel filters are they using? I don't know exactly. But I do know that you can't even get remotely close to completing a service interval on a diesel for $25 bucks.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks like they capped the diesel JT at 6,000 lbs towing, similar to the gas Overland models. So, the payload on diesel JTs is likely to be around 1,000 lbs which is going to seriously hurt the only practical reason to buy diesel: work.

Rocketnosari

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jku
Looks like they capped the diesel JT at 6,000 lbs towing, similar to the gas Overland models. So, the payload on diesel JTs is likely to be around 1,000 lbs which is going to seriously hurt the only practical reason to buy diesel: work.
Does anyone know the source for the 6,000lb number? All I can find is the TFL article which has no sources. The FCA press release makes no mention of towing numbers.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does anyone know the source for the 6,000lb number? All I can find is the TFL article which has no sources. The FCA press release makes no mention of towing numbers.
Well they showed the GVWR number which was only 100 lbs. above the gas version. Since the diesel package adds roughly 400 lbs. of weight, that means there has to be a 300 lb. reduction in payload. That, in turn, is what kills towing rating and hauling ability.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Tow rating is just a number. The number to look at will be the GCWR. Previous manuals stated it as curb weight + 150 driver + tow capacity. We don’t know what the curb weight is but it looks to be about 412lb more by trim level looking at the Wrangler specs but the higher GVWR makes up for some of that lost payload. I’m hoping the TFL number isn’t right but even if it is it will not make a huge difference with what I plan on towing.

citadelfox

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Physician Associate
My last series of cars and trucks all had V8s or turbo powered V6s. My wife's JLU has the 3.6 with the manual and I have not been impressed. I hear the auto opens that engine up a little bit better, but with my background I am just spoiled.

The diesel power metrics of 260hp w/ 440ft-lb of torque in comparison to the 285hp/260ft-lb of the 3.6 I am expecting the diesel to knock the doors off! So I searched a basic metric of 0-60 of the Grand Cherokee and it's a half second slower or so than the gas V6?

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/jeep-0-60-mph-times/

I have heard it's all about the low end power/torque when it comes to diesel. Great for towing and hauling, but is it just that it can get that high end performance and speed? What am I missing here? I obviously have never owned a diesel so help me out. If the 3.0 diesel can't tow as much as the gasser then what are the diesel folks looking forward to? Like a lot of people I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the wait and expense. Thanks!!
It's not about "blowing the doors off". It's about climbing shitty terrain off-road effortlessly, without revving the snot out of gas engine to get over obstacles. And then cruising home at 80mph on the highway at 2000rpm.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
My last series of cars and trucks all had V8s or turbo powered V6s. My wife's JLU has the 3.6 with the manual and I have not been impressed. I hear the auto opens that engine up a little bit better, but with my background I am just spoiled.

The diesel power metrics of 260hp w/ 440ft-lb of torque in comparison to the 285hp/260ft-lb of the 3.6 I am expecting the diesel to knock the doors off! So I searched a basic metric of 0-60 of the Grand Cherokee and it's a half second slower or so than the gas V6?

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/jeep-0-60-mph-times/

I have heard it's all about the low end power/torque when it comes to diesel. Great for towing and hauling, but is it just that it can get that high end performance and speed? What am I missing here? I obviously have never owned a diesel so help me out. If the 3.0 diesel can't tow as much as the gasser then what are the diesel folks looking forward to? Like a lot of people I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the wait and expense. Thanks!!
Mine flat out hauls ass, I mean its no race car, and it cant outdo my Vette or hot rod Coupe, but it rolls out with lots of top end...not sure where people think different? It will do the highway at 85mph
all day at 2300rpm while holding a 22-23mpg....

RIDERED67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Listen......Noone needs a diesel ANYTHING! Even Tractor trailers we're gas motors until turbo tech became reliable.

People buy diesels because they want to. Do you want to? There is no justification, stop looking

BTW I drive a JTRD lol

Sponsored

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
I was rocking through traffic last year in southern Indiana looked down and I was doing 103. The diesel has power to spare.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
I was rocking through traffic last year in southern Indiana looked down and I was doing 103. The diesel has power to spare.
The rubicon is limited to 97 mph, there is so much extra power when it hits 97 it feels like the brakes got thrown on. Don't go that fast often, but something irrational in me wants just a little more.

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
The rubicon is limited to 97 mph, there is so much extra power when it hits 97 it feels like the brakes got thrown on. Don't go that fast often, but something irrational in me wants just a little more.
The HA gets a 110 limiter. It doesn't even care at 100+. The diesel just feels like it has a never ending tap of torque.

Marlinvx

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD, 2022 Audi Q3 S line
Occupation
Retired Navy, current Engineer
Having had a Gas Gladiator and now a Diesel gladiator, the diesel smokes the gas in acceleration. I get double the mpg in town, and over double on the freeway. I will pass on having a gasser again.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Doing 70 mph and want to pass someone. Just push down a little. The turbo spools up and you are gone. Doesn't even down shift.
Sponsored