Sponsored

Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
If relying on the alarm, it may be worth adding a third horn in case they clip the wires going to the two behind the grill. Or bolt a metal plate or something in front of the wires.
Anybody that would go to that extent isn't going to let any alarm or latch stop them, so you're screwed regardless.

Kevin
Sponsored

Brewer96

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Brewer and Woodworker
Someone on this Forum recommended these. I am impressed with the build quality and ease of installation. Seem very secure.

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg
Not sure if you were showing off the hood latches or the cutting board? Did you make it? If not, who made the cutting board?

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think I would want a locking hood latch. If somebody wants to break in then a hood lock will be just as effective as the door locks, and that’s not very. They would probably damage the hood and/or latches trying to get into it even if they gave up before gaining entrance. What if they do get in and swipe the battery? Heck - I can replace the battery with a lot less effort and money than repairing a hood.

It would also mean I’d have to use a key, adding more work for me to get into and close my hood. That may seem like nitpicking but why make it more difficult when I’ve never heard of anybody breaking into Jeep engine compartments. Maybe it happens a lot in some places, but I mostly hear about people breaking into the passenger area - especially with soft tops.

Blizzard

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2022
I appreciate all the responses. I am still waiting on some information regarding why our hoods don't latch and lock like every other vehicle on the road? Also, with all the advancements over the years, why do the hoods also require a prop? I fixed that issue already, but I am curious as well.
you don't need a prop when there is "service mode"... just open that thing all the way up

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
There are others out there that look closer to stock but keep in mind they are plastic and not metal. Worth the extra $$ to me for the added security.
If you could take the "plastic" oem style in your hand and break it let me know.... I really do like the metal Rock River version, they resemble the OEM more than the Rampage. I think any of them could be easily defeated by a determined thief... but I feel better with them than without, like you said, $$ well spent.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The standard intrusion alarm protects the hood, too.
And the horn is REALLY LOUD!!!
That’s all I rely upon.

Kevin
Only if you have the Tazer, unless they've added that option on newer models.

Mball488

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
What would there be under the hood that someone would want to steal?
Not sure if you were showing off the hood latches or the cutting board? Did you make it? If not, who made the cutting board?
One of my Crewchiefs made it for me. For a guy who was "trying out woodworking" for the first time he did an awesome job.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Only if you have the Tazer, unless they've added that option on newer models.
Go out and open the hood with the doors locked. My 2021 sets off the alarm as soon as the hood is opened. One of the two pin switches under your right hand (while standing in front opening the hood) is for the alarm.

Kevin

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Mopar makes a front hood lock also.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
If you could take the "plastic" oem style in your hand and break it let me know.... I really do like the metal Rock River version, they resemble the OEM more than the Rampage. I think any of them could be easily defeated by a determined thief... but I feel better with them than without, like you said, $$ well spent.
No doubt that a determined rat will find a way in. Maybe we can find a way to electrify those steel hood latches! :rock:

Sponsored

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Mopar makes a front hood lock also.
Unfortunately, with the JT you have to clip out a section of the grill to have full access to the lock cylinder. I looked at a few install videos and didn't like how they butchered the grill. The JL's have larger grill openings and works better on them.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
No doubt that a determined rat will find a way in. Maybe we can find a way to electrify those steel hood latches! :rock:
on my old toyota, when I was still active duty stationed @ Camp Pendleton, I had to use a heavy thick linked chain that I had welded near the hood latch and a heavy duty padlock... if not, leaving it unattended in S.D. , my battery would be gone.... Then again, I had 2 queen palm trees (worth bout $150 ea) dug up and stolen right out of my yard... and it was a nice neighborhood...lol

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
What is it about your vehicle that would make someone want to open the hood?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Go out and open the hood with the doors locked. My 2021 sets off the alarm as soon as the hood is opened. One of the two pin switches under your right hand (while standing in front opening the hood) is for the alarm.

Kevin
Must've starved on the 21's.
Sponsored