First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Best reason to buy the Rubicon is for the resale value. The lockers are just a bonus.
Sponsored

jorbasaurus

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT
Occupation
HRIS Consulting
I've had a Sport and now a Rubicon. I think the Rubicon is a terrible deal vs a Sport. You can build up a Sport much cheaper. But in this market it was cheaper for me to trade in for a Rubicon. I'm not biased for the Rubicon. I still think the Sport is the best model to get especially if you can get it for 35k like I did. And what the hell does meta even mean? What are you 15?
Bias - prejudice in favor of or AGAINST one thing

Meta - referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential

if we’re done with the vocabulary section, my bad for making a silly joke - hope you enjoy the new JTR! Maybe a mod to help the panties from bunching up? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
So just to clarify, what you are saying is that the rubicon or Mojave ARE more capable but probably unnecessary unless you don't mind the extra expense.

So you have a winch, probably large tires and a lift, 4 wheel drive, and lsd yet call lockers a cheat button. I'd wager someone without those would call those cheats as well. Also if they were hitting the same trails with less that would also make them a better driver using your same logic.

I have many devices with extra capabilities that I might not need at this time but want for the future. I bet you aren't even using all the apps that can run on your phone or maxing out your computational power of your computer, why bother then?

People use the same argument against fast cars and many other things in life that they personally can't rationalize spending their money on. Just be glad it's not your money and stop trying to justify that you spent the proper amount to get what you want.
auto trans also could be considered a cheat--i elected manual and am still happy with it but have respect for those who went with the great auto trans

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Best reason to buy the Rubicon is for the resale value. The lockers are just a bonus.
Not going to disagree with you on that. But just to add, I bought my 2013 JKU sport for $27K and traded it in 6 months ago for $23K. Resale on the other trims seem to be pretty good as well. Of course YMMV.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Bias - prejudice in favor of or AGAINST one thing

Meta - referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential

if we’re done with the vocabulary section, my bad for making a silly joke - hope you enjoy the new JTR! Maybe a mod to help the panties from bunching up? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
so why you so bias?? That’s so meta. Did I do that right then??

Last edited:

Sponsored

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Overland
Right…Overland has nothing to do with Overland. It’s a city Jeep. Which is great if that’s what you want. But it shouldn’t be nearly the same price as a Rubicon or Mojave. You defending it shows your bias. I have a Sport and just upgraded to a Rubicon because of the used market. Like you said every model serves a purpose. The discounts on Gladiators have made them more accessible to more people. Proves there overpriced already just like the Wranglers. But Overland is by far the most overpriced for what you get.
I think the Overland discounts are more due to to Jeep offering more of what the Overland has on other trim levels. When I picked up mine about 18 months ago there was the Sport, Sport S, Overland and Rubicon. 8.4" UConnect, leather, Premium LED, etc were only offered on the Overland and Rubicon at that time. Of course you can add those after the fact but I only have so much time and wanted to focus on lift and other mechanical work. A Rubicon that was equipped the same was more than $6k above the Overland I bought so my thought was to take that savings and put into upgrades I wanted in the form of lift, tires and other goodies. Living in Houston with 2 young kids I didn't see the need for lockers, sway bar disconnect, etc.

Now there are 11 (maybe more) different trim levels and the Overland IS overpriced as most if not all the options can be covered by a different trim level. I'll also say that as I have understood my needs and wants more I am exploring trading in to capitalize on the used market to get a Rubicon or Mojave.

OP
OP
Indavis01

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
I think the Overland discounts are more due to to Jeep offering more of what the Overland has on other trim levels. When I picked up mine about 18 months ago there was the Sport, Sport S, Overland and Rubicon. 8.4" UConnect, leather, Premium LED, etc were only offered on the Overland and Rubicon at that time. Of course you can add those after the fact but I only have so much time and wanted to focus on lift and other mechanical work. A Rubicon that was equipped the same was more than $6k above the Overland I bought so my thought was to take that savings and put into upgrades I wanted in the form of lift, tires and other goodies. Living in Houston with 2 young kids I didn't see the need for lockers, sway bar disconnect, etc.

Now there are 11 (maybe more) different trim levels and the Overland IS overpriced as most if not all the options can be covered by a different trim level. I'll also say that as I have understood my needs and wants more I am exploring trading in to capitalize on the used market to get a Rubicon or Mojave.
I love your response- closest thing to my situation- I was able to get a fully loaded Overland with a sticker of 52 for 37k in April 20. That's sport pricing. Leather, seat heaters, upgraded stereo, matched trim, all kinds of other goodies.

I love where this discussion has gone- people are very passionate about their decisions and multiple people have asked why I picked an Overland- the truth is I didn't really, I just took advantage of the situation which was no-one was buying Overlands when I bought mine so they were willing to bend over backwards to push this out the door. My rationale behind what I bought, was it was a color I wanted with some great add ons at price I couldn't pass up. If they wanted to make a deal on a JTR I would have bought that one, but I wasn't paying 10-12k more for it. (hence the I"'m a cheap bastard" comment in my original post.

I had a Jeep with Lockers, and as someone else on here said- "I have the experience to know what I need and what I don't", and I used to have a blast wheeling my JKU without lockers....

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
I love your response- closest thing to my situation- I was able to get a fully loaded Overland with a sticker of 52 for 37k in April 20. That's sport pricing. Leather, seat heaters, upgraded stereo, matched trim, all kinds of other goodies.

I love where this discussion has gone- people are very passionate about their decisions and multiple people have asked why I picked an Overland- the truth is I didn't really, I just took advantage of the situation which was no-one was buying Overlands when I bought mine so they were willing to bend over backwards to push this out the door. My rationale behind what I bought, was it was a color I wanted with some great add ons at price I couldn't pass up. If they wanted to make a deal on a JTR I would have bought that one, but I wasn't paying 10-12k more for it. (hence the I"'m a cheap bastard" comment in my original post.

I had a Jeep with Lockers, and as someone else on here said- "I have the experience to know what I need and what I don't", and I used to have a blast wheeling my JKU without lockers....
yup, like I said most Jeep’s are already overpriced.At that price it makes sense and I could see why people would choose it. But when their priced at 52plus it makes no sense.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I've had a Sport and now a Rubicon. I think the Rubicon is a terrible deal vs a Sport. You can build up a Sport much cheaper.
That's the big difference between buyers, and I respect and understand that. For me, a Rubicon is perfect, it's already the way I want it, I don't need to build it or put more money into it.
For me, it was a great deal. I've been there done that too many times, modifying vehicles, and then having warranty issues later. I bought the Rubicon 1) because the price was right with discounts and incentives and 2) Because it already had all the stuff I want done already. Already "modified" from the factory. I said it before, but all I feel this truck needs for my use is 35s. I might wait for these to wear out first though. It doesn't need any more lift for me, and it doesn't need any other modifications for me. I understand why others would want to modify. And I understand why if you want to modify, the Sport makes sense, as a platform to modify or build. I also understand why another trim would make sense if that's just what you want. But for me, and my usage, the Rubicon needed no modification, and I would have spent more money making another trim like I wanted it. The truck meets my truck needs, my daily driving needs, and my trail needs, and I just don't wanna mess with it. I've been there done that in too many other vehicles, and don't have the time or the expertise to build it the way Jeep already did. I just wanna drive it.

I thought hard about a Willys Sport and a Willys, but in the end, the Rubicon was better for my needs. I've been grinning ear to ear since day one.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
One aspect I have not seen discussed much in this thread, is how close can the BLD system get to having an actual locker, i.e. can it do 50% of what a true locker can do, 80%?

For most people in average off road situations the BLD will get them thru, understood extreme situations a true locker is clearly the way to go.

Here is a great video explaining the differences between the systems:

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Traction Control vs Axle Locks Off Road Blooper at the end - YouTube

My 80th did not come with lockers, but in my limited off roading experience so far I have learned to lean on the Hill Descent control feature, even uphill, to control my speed through/around obstacles. BLD is part of that system.

Jeep should rename it to off road cruise control.

Here is another great video explaining the system here:

Tested JL Hill Descent Control | How Good Is The JL Wrangler's Hill Descent Control? - YouTube

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
One aspect I have not seen discussed much in this thread, is how close can the BLD system get to having an actual locker, i.e. can it do 50% of what a true locker can do, 80%?

For most people in average off road situations the BLD will get them thru, understood extreme situations a true locker is clearly the way to go.

My 80th did not come with lockers, but in my limited off roading experience so far I have learned to lean on the Hill Descent control feature, even uphill, to control my speed through/around obstacles.

Great video explaining the system here: (6) Tested JL Hill Descent Control | How Good Is The JL Wrangler's Hill Descent Control? - YouTube
FYI they are different between the JL and the JT. It is only a hill decent control on the JL that only works going down hill. It is select speed control or "crawl control" on the JT that works all the time.

I wish my JL had the select speed control.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Yes, the manual even calls it Select Speed Control (SSC), not Hill Descent Control, my bad.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
It just depends what you do and what your expectations are from the truck.
Even lockers won't help in all situations.

Truth is, I went lockers because we place to explore and I live in WV with communications coverage is almost non-existent on B-roads, let alone exploring fire roads.

To recap; I spent the extra to have lockers, added a winch, hi-lift and track pads to be as resilient and self-sufficient as possible; even through I hope to not need any of it!

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Overland

Here is a great video explaining the differences between the systems:

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Traction Control vs Axle Locks Off Road Blooper at the end - YouTube

My 80th did not come with lockers, but in my limited off roading experience so far I have learned to lean on the Hill Descent control feature, even uphill, to control my speed through/around obstacles. BLD is part of that system.

Here is another great video explaining the system here:

Tested JL Hill Descent Control | How Good Is The JL Wrangler's Hill Descent Control? - YouTube
It took some getting used to but the SSC is a great feature.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Some other good videos showing the various features

Sponsored