Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Diesel
I wouldn’t call their lift overpriced at all … it’s actually a great kit… buy the parts individually and it’s $600 without shocks, I did that for my gas gladiator before I sold it. I used icon shocks because they have the longest travel with minimal bumpstop. Rear needed non and front only needed a 1” spacer, and got about 12” or suspension travel…
I agree with this. Its a good kit. I had it on my JLR and was quite surprised at the ride quality. I have installed many a kit and it was very good. I personally don’t care if the axles are a bit off center. It doesn’t hurt anything, especially with aftermarket wheels. I would say it’s only drawback was the factory lower coil isolators. I bought some RK isolators and that fixed any spring bow.
Sponsored

GoFastGoFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX L2 Billet, 2021 JLU Willy's , 2020 X5 G05
REPOST from Poll thread.. just to make sure everyone sees it.
"OK ladies and gents.. So after over a month of having my Glad at the dealer .. a Jeep Field engineer has driven and verified the issue.. oddly enough.. there is an impending TSB regarding this issue with replacement parts. Though that's all I know. No time frame on the TSB or the parts availability. Will keep all of you posted..

I am still up in the air about how to handle this situation.. really.. "

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
REPOST from Poll thread.. just to make sure everyone sees it.
"OK ladies and gents.. So after over a month of having my Glad at the dealer .. a Jeep Field engineer has driven and verified the issue.. oddly enough.. there is an impending TSB regarding this issue with replacement parts. Though that's all I know. No time frame on the TSB or the parts availability. Will keep all of you posted..

I am still up in the air about how to handle this situation.. really.. "
If any of you get the TSB done, please post the part numbers

epatno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
So I have a 2021 Jeep gladiator overland diesel with the Mopar lift kit, stick bumper. It looks like with the lift they added a spacer under the bump stop which did not allow for an increase in travel so I have right around 2 inches before the stops hit. Which they did the other day at 300 miles, I hit a pothole and the driver's side hit hard. So the lift kit did not fix the issue. If I removed the spacer under the stop it would help but I am wondering if that would allow for to much travel. My friend has a terflex lift and there is no added spacer and he has between 4-5 inches of travel before his bump stop hits.

Last edited:

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
So I have a 2021 Jeep gladiator overland diesel with the mopar lift kit, stick bumper. It looks like with the lift they added a spacer under the bump stop which did not allow for an increase in travel so I have right around 2 inches before the stops hit. Which they did the other day at 300 miles, I hit a pot whole and the drivers side hit hard. So the lift kit did not fix the issue. If I removed the spacer under the stop it would help but I am wondering if that would allow for to much travel. My friend has a terflex lift and there is no added spacer and he has between 4-5 inches of travel before his bump stop hits.
Pics!

Sponsored

epatno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
So I realized in my earlier post I put spacer it is actually a larger bump stop. This is a video I found on youtube that shows exactly what I am talking about, at 3 minutes 50 seconds you will see what I am talking about. I do not have the rubicon but the lift is the same. With the stock suspension, there is no bump stop spacer and about two inches of travel before they hit. Then you add a 2-inch lift kit along with a 2-inch bump stop and you gain nothing as far as travel is concerned.
I also noticed that when I initially picked up my jeep it was close to sitting level just a slight angle. the lift was approximately 3 in the front and 3.5 in the rear. Now that everything has settled with the heavier diesel motor the front is right at 2 inches of gain while the rear is near 3.

Last edited:

troymi

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Ecodiesel
Hey guys, I only have 500 miles so far and have not experienced any substantial hits on the front suspension. I have a 9/21 build FYI.

The ride is not lux, it's a Jeep. But coming from a JL Rubicon gas the ride in my JTRD is much better overall. Obviously wheelbase and rear config make a big difference. I don't want to aim for a hole and make a self fulfilling prophecy out of this issue, but is there some real nasty noise or result I should keep an eye/ear out for? Example: hard impact up or down with a teeth rattle jolt? Is it noise only? Any tire pressure make it worse? Appreciate your thoughts.

BTW: I'm not digging my rake as it settles. But, I don't want to mess with the front suspension in case I have some issue pop up.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security
So I realized in my earlier post I put spacer it is actually a larger bump stop. This is a video I found on youtube that shows exactly what I am talking about, at 3 minutes 50 seconds you will see what I am talking about. I do not have the rubicon but the lift is the same. With the stock suspension, there is no bump stop spacer and about two inches of travel before they hit. Then you add a 2-inch lift kit along with a 2-inch bump stop and you gain nothing as far as travel is concerned.
I also noticed that when I initially picked up my jeep it was close to sitting level just a slight angle. the lift was approximately 3 in the front and 3.5 in the rear. Now that everything has settled with the heavier diesel motor the front is right at 2 inches of gain while the rear is near 3.

So Those are not extra etc, those are needed for this kit.
They are the 1.25" bump stop extensions that come included with the kit.

They are there for 2 reasons.

#1. The fox shocks in the mopar kit are longer shocks than the stock shocks and have a longer minimum length than stock. The risk you run by pulling them out is bottoming out the shock before the axle makes contact with the frame. This would result in a big cluck sound and likely blow out your shocks.

#2. If you decide to run larger tires than stock with the lift, like 35's / 37's (rubicon only) they ensure your tires will not make contact with your fenders and chew them up.

They are needed.

Now... you can go and buy a terraflex or daystar 1" spacer for the TOP of your springs to increase the total travel. But there is a downside to that. Your total caster will decrease resulting in your steering feeling a bit lighter, and it may not 'recenter' the wheel completely after a turn.

My 2 cents, if you are bottoming out all the time post mopar 2" lift, it's likely something wrong with the installation of your lift, or bad shocks. But I have bottomed out post lift as well, especially off-roading with swaybar disconnected....

total uptravel distance on the rubicon diesel sucks... If it were me in your shoes, I would get a 1" spacer and install above the springs just to try it out. It will not require alignment, and the steering may be close to what it is now.

epatno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
So Those are not extra etc, those are needed for this kit.
They are the 1.25" bump stop extensions that come included with the kit.

They are there for 2 reasons.

#1. The fox shocks in the mopar kit are longer shocks than the stock shocks and have a longer minimum length than stock. The risk you run by pulling them out is bottoming out the shock before the axle makes contact with the frame. This would result in a big cluck sound and likely blow out your shocks.

#2. If you decide to run larger tires than stock with the lift, like 35's / 37's (rubicon only) they ensure your tires will not make contact with your fenders and chew them up.

They are needed.

Now... you can go and buy a terraflex or daystar 1" spacer for the TOP of your springs to increase the total travel. But there is a downside to that. Your total caster will decrease resulting in your steering feeling a bit lighter, and it may not 'recenter' the wheel completely after a turn.

My 2 cents, if you are bottoming out all the time post mopar 2" lift, it's likely something wrong with the installation of your lift, or bad shocks. But I have bottomed out post lift as well, especially off-roading with swaybar disconnected....

total uptravel distance on the rubicon diesel sucks... If it were me in your shoes, I would get a 1" spacer and install above the springs just to try it out. It will not require alignment, and the steering may be close to what it is now.
That all makes sense thank you very much, I will look into the spacers, I also have front and rear adjustable track bars along with the synergy steer correct and fox ats, will that help with any of the issues I might face from the day star?

Sponsored

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security
That all makes sense thank you very much, I will look into the spacers, I also have front and rear adjustable track bars along with the synergy steer correct and fox ats, will that help with any of the issues I might face from the day star?

All that will help a bunch, but caster correction is done with control arms. But with 1” teraflex - daystar I bet you will be just fine and significantly reduce bottom out situations.

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
Hey guys, I only have 500 miles so far and have not experienced any substantial hits on the front suspension. I have a 9/21 build FYI.

The ride is not lux, it's a Jeep. But coming from a JL Rubicon gas the ride in my JTRD is much better overall. Obviously wheelbase and rear config make a big difference. I don't want to aim for a hole and make a self fulfilling prophecy out of this issue, but is there some real nasty noise or result I should keep an eye/ear out for? Example: hard impact up or down with a teeth rattle jolt? Is it noise only? Any tire pressure make it worse? Appreciate your thoughts.

BTW: I'm not digging my rake as it settles. But, I don't want to mess with the front suspension in case I have some issue pop up.
The experience is more like a teeth rattling jarring, and a loud thunk. It almost feels like metal to metal impact is being made on the front axle as the bump stops get compressed to the point that the upper metal bump stop seats/rings make contact with the bump strike plate down on the axle.

If your recent build model does not experience this going over a speedbump or pothole at +/- 15mph then it would be helpful to those on the forum if you can measure the space between the strike plate and the tip of the bumpstop, and also from the strike plate to the metal ring (for reference check out the first ~3-4 pages of this thread as members that have been running into the issue posted measurements and pics... which basically were about 1.5" and 2 5/8" respectively.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD

You hit a pothole hard enough, doesn’t matter much.

A dip I had to slow down to less than 20mph that my wife’s wk2, kids Nissan Xterra and other kids equinox could take at 30; I can now do at 30+ and it’s MUCH smoother than any of them.

The dynamics of a pothole could more easily trigger a bottom out episode.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
is there some real nasty noise or result I should keep an eye/ear out for? Example: hard impact up or down with a teeth rattle jolt? Is it noise only?
You'll know when it happens. It feels as if there's no suspension under the front end.

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Ok, I had a dream of having to slow down in fear of bottoming out. Then I bottomed out in the dream and in real life the next day...

I might just bite the bullet early and get the EVO lift kit. I was planning on waiting for a couple thousand miles but the anxiety I have every time I see a bump is just too much.
Sponsored