First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
So what's the story Free2roam? Your case still open, or ???
Waiting on engineering. As with everyone. They have no solution yet. Engineering is working on it. Technically closed. Lisa told me as soon as she has an answer she will be notifying us. Whether it's here or by each case individually via personal email I have no idea.
Sponsored

F1REICE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon diesel
Occupation
Paramedic health care
I cant speak for Free2roam but I am STILL waiting on replacement shocks from the dealership. Lisa from JeepCares has been great with keeping me updated but I haven't heard anything from the dealership. I called them last week to check on the status and still have not received any communication from the dealership. I will make sure to keep updated once I know something. Just like the rest of you I really enjoy the diesel Rubicon Gladiator but this bottoming out should not be happening on the top of line off road Jeep.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I cant speak for Free2roam but I am STILL waiting on replacement shocks from the dealership. Lisa from JeepCares has been great with keeping me updated but I haven't heard anything from the dealership. I called them last week to check on the status and still have not received any communication from the dealership. I will make sure to keep updated once I know something. Just like the rest of you I really enjoy the diesel Rubicon Gladiator but this bottoming out should not be happening on the top of line off road Jeep.
I don't believe the shocks will solve the problem. It's the spring rate that has the issue. It's not a high enough rate for the diesel. Also mine is just the Sport S Ecodiesel. Not even a Rubicon.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe the shocks will solve the problem. It's the spring rate that has the issue. It's not a high enough rate for the diesel. Also mine is just the Sport S Ecodiesel. Not even a Rubicon.
Shocks dampen spring oscillations. They don't hold a vehicle up - but if they are "shot" they allow the spring to compress more quickly than a good shock would. They'd have to be awfully bad. In any case, the spring rate should prevent bottoming, shocks or not.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Itā€™s definitely the springs.

To solve the problem, I put on the mopar lift. The free length is pretty much the same between the original and the lift springs on the front.

This tells me the lift is achieved primarily through an increase in spring rate.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DeanW66

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubi Ecodiesel
Add me to the list of people who have lodged a complaint issue regarding JTRD bottoming out. I was not able to speak with Lisa, but the lady I talked to did talk with Lisa. I've been told that there are 9 people who have lodged complaints on this issue. Yes, I was also told by the dealer (as expected) "unable to duplicate" and that it is now up to the engineers.

I guess I will try to find a pothole close to the dealer that causes the issue and point them at it, sigh.

OrangeCJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 CJ5, 2021 JTRD
Installed the TeraFlex 1.5" spacer. Seems to have put a band-aid on the problem for now. I chose to leave out the bumpstop spacers supplied in the kit. I am only running 35's and I am hoping I don't cram the tire up into the fender. The gap between the bumpstops looks WAAYYYY better now... more like what you would expect to see on a 4WD.

Anyway, I am not huge fan of pucks, but I had them already, and needed to try something... at least no more clang going over speed humps.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Itā€™s definitely the springs.

To solve the problem, I put on the mopar lift. The free length is pretty much the same between the original and the lift springs on the front.

This tells me the lift is achieved primarily through an increase in spring rate.
So, you guys know what my story is. That saidā€¦

The dealer had my truck in their shop for 7 weeks. They had an engineer check my truck out twice. The engineerā€™s assessment is that it needed a certain shock. Unfortunately, I donā€™t know what that shock is (part number), but I do remember them telling me that due to COVID the factory (in India) didnā€™t have a shipping date, or even an ETA for the shocks because they were on a backlog to even PRODUCE the shocks. And this was the case probably two months ago.

Bottom line: itā€™s anyoneā€™s guess when you will get your Stellantis recommended shocks actually installed. And because they havenā€™t actually installed them to see if it fixes the problem, it may not fix the problem, and youā€™ll have to wait even longer for them to decide on the next fix action

I personally think this is a spring rate issue, and the JT is under-sprung for the weight of the diesel.

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
So, you guys know what my story is. That saidā€¦

The dealer had my truck in their shop for 7 weeks. They had an engineer check my truck out twice. The engineerā€™s assessment is that it needed a certain shock. Unfortunately, I donā€™t know what that shock is (part number), but I do remember them telling me that due to COVID the factory (in India) didnā€™t have a shipping date, or even an ETA for the shocks because they were on a backlog to even PRODUCE the shocks. And this was the case probably two months ago.

Bottom line: itā€™s anyoneā€™s guess when you will get your Stellantis recommended shocks actually installed. And because they havenā€™t actually installed them to see if it fixes the problem, it may not fix the problem, and youā€™ll have to wait even longer for them to decide on the next fix action

I personally think this is a spring rate issue, and the JT is under-sprung for the weight of the diesel.
They paid for a 2ā€ Mopar lift for you, correct?

Sponsored

smoothbronco

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jt rubicon diesel
Well, letā€™s add another one to the pile,2021 diesel rubicon 34 inch tires and a winch in factory bumper, stock other then that. It hits so hard on potholes and small rocks that it sounds like itā€™s going to break in half, sure takes the fun out of a 84k off road machineā€¦ā€¦the local dealers are useless and I can tell you with certainty the answer they will have is ā€œcannot duplicateā€™ WHAT A PISS OFF

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Well, letā€™s add another one to the pile,2021 diesel rubicon 34 inch tires and a winch in factory bumper, stock other then that. It hits so hard on potholes and small rocks that it sounds like itā€™s going to break in half, sure takes the fun out of a 84k off road machineā€¦ā€¦the local dealers are useless and I can tell you with certainty the answer they will have is ā€œcannot duplicateā€™ WHAT A PISS OFF
Call Lisa.

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
Finally had a ā€œbottom outā€ on our HA Diesel. My wife had a green light through an intersection and she took it at speed. It had a nice ridge in the middle. Hit the bump stops. Iā€™m honestly not surprised though.

OrangeCJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 CJ5, 2021 JTRD
Just emailed Lisa about my case, and got a auto-reply that it is case closed... Anybody getting any updates from JC or FCA?
Sponsored