Electric Wrangler

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
I just saw a commercial for an all electric Wrangler. Has this been known for a while?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Does this model offer the Eunic package? Or is this the model that includes a free purse...Excuse me, I mean, genderless carry bag...With each purchase?

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I’ll get this off my chest... yes there has been plans for an all electric wrangler, they just showed a plug in hybrid model at a car show ... manufacturers are going to make these types of models... everyone is going to have their opinion... who cares... but to answer the op’s question... watch this video. And listen to when he talks about “4” powertrain models when showing off the JL the first time.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I'm not an electric vehicle fanboy but I am certainly not opposed to them either. What I do not understand about the criticism above and theEV coming with a purse.

I will pose this question for discussion.

Everyone on every other thread complains about the lack of low end torque in our Gladiators and JLs and are screaming from the mountaintops for a diesel to get that beloved torque. Electric motors are known to be the torquiest type of propulsion available. Shouldn't all of the guys wanting the old school torque monster engines be chomping at the bit to get their hands on an electric Jeep?

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Shouldn't all of the guys wanting the old school torque monster engines be chomping at the bit to get their hands on an electric Jeep?
No range, even less when towing/loaded. Too long recharge time. No wilderness charge ability.
I bought a diesel JL today, Really wanted a diesel Gladiator but there is no telling how long it will be now (late next year at best I think). I try to ‘never say never’ but I see no indications that an EV Wrangler would be practical for me.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep should put a 4BT Cummins in the JT...I’d love to convert mine. Having owned my 6.7 Cummins since new (13 years now), I’m a huge fan of both Cummins and in-line turbo diesels. :like:

Or offer a 5.7 Hemi option for the Rubicon models.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
No range, even less when towing/loaded. Too long recharge time. No wilderness charge ability.
I bought a diesel JL today, Really wanted a diesel Gladiator but there is no telling how long it will be now (late next year at best I think). I try to ‘never say never’ but I see no indications that an EV Wrangler would be practical for me.
I agree with your points. I was just pointing out the nonsense that technology haters harbor. I’m sure you will agree with me that an electric power train would be an ideal solution if they could get decent range out of them. There is a very good reason that all modern locomotive engines and most of the world’s heavy mining trucks, except Caterpillar, use some sort of electric propulsion system. Electric is better and more reliable, except for the whole power supply issue. That’s why the heavy haulers also need a diesel to power their generators.

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I definitely want to get an electric vehicle someday, but currently the infrastructure does not support it and the technology isn't there. If there was a fast charging station on every corner and charging rates could be similar to filling up a tank of gas, I would go buy one today. I think auto manufacturers should invest in infrastructure first before expecting people to switch to EV's. Give it 5 years. I will then look at purchasing one.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
As an anti tech guy, electronics are sound. It's the computerization that bugs out. For e-cars being jeep, complaints are about the weight distribution of the batteries and the motor location on each wheel sometimes being under water during fording, in addition to recharge location and frequency already mentioned. My argument is that enough is enough. Gas engines, completely mechanical, work fine. Let's spend our innovation invest on things that matter, health and civic planning. We all live better than Kings of a century ago. Why not create a society where everyone can eat? Make a better car? Why!? My neighbor being hungry or unnecessarily ill because we invest in neato tech is immoral or wrong in some ways. And don't give me one leads to the other. If we solve social problems with this innovation, it's only because we change our priorities. My opinions.

Sponsored

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
As an anti tech guy, electronics are sound. It's the computerization that bugs out. For e-cars being jeep, complaints are about the weight distribution of the batteries and the motor location on each wheel sometimes being under water during fording, in addition to recharge location and frequency already mentioned. My argument is that enough is enough. Gas engines, completely mechanical, work fine. Let's spend our innovation invest on things that matter, health and civic planning. We all live better than Kings of a century ago. Why not create a society where everyone can eat? Make a better car? Why!? My neighbor being hungry or unnecessarily ill because we invest in neato tech is immoral or wrong in some ways. And don't give me one leads to the other. If we solve social problems with this innovation, it's only because we change our priorities. My opinions.
Thing is, we have developed the tech to feed more people, it’s called GMOs. But privileged white housewifes have rallied up in protest against them. We don’t need every engineer and scientist on the planet working on the same problem. Just because someone is working on an electric Jeep doesn’t mean people aren’t working on feeding everyone or better healthcare. The day will come, probably in our lifetime, where many governments around the world ban fossil fuels. When that day comes, Jeeps and similar vehicles will cease to exist because people like you were crying that we don’t need an electric Jeep.

Furthermore, some people want a Jeep that they will never take off-road, some of them want electric. You don’t like it, cool, don’t buy one. I probably wouldn’t because of issues that have already been mentioned in this thread, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t make it.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I know it will never happen but the ideal solution for electric vehicles to be a success is standardized interchangeable batteries. That way the “filling station” could have a cache of full batteries and a traveler can just drop in get a new battery and move along rather than wait forever to get your charge.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Thing is, we have developed the tech to feed more people, it’s called GMOs. But privileged white housewifes have rallied up in protest against them. We don’t need every engineer and scientist on the planet working on the same problem. Just because someone is working on an electric Jeep doesn’t mean people aren’t working on feeding everyone or better healthcare. The day will come, probably in our lifetime, where many governments around the world ban fossil fuels. When that day comes, Jeeps and similar vehicles will cease to exist because people like you were crying that we don’t need an electric Jeep.

Furthermore, some people want a Jeep that they will never take off-road, some of them want electric. You don’t like it, cool, don’t buy one. I probably wouldn’t because of issues that have already been mentioned in this thread, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t make it.
I ain't crying. I'm caring. Agree with all your points. But we have solved lots of problems and people are still hungry. That's priorities. If your favorite, GMO, isnt, working, I'll follow your point.. solve it a different way, and people can choose to buy GMO, or not, as you said, cause they have a choice. The point is, they eat. Sitting there satisfied that you have an answer, instead of prioritizing a solution for our nation's people, is not taking care, it's, well, sort of like crying that people just won't do it your way. Your way ain't working. People are hungry in 2020 and that is abject stupidity on the part of people who could help, but don't out of cussedness. It rubs me the wrong way. But that's another thread. Sorry to get off topic. Hell I might even buy this little electronic scooter jeep when it comes out.

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
I know it will never happen but the ideal solution for electric vehicles to be a success is standardized interchangeable batteries. That way the “filling station” could have a cache of full batteries and a traveler can just drop in get a new battery and move along rather than wait forever to get your charge.
Any idea how much the batteries in say a Tesla Model S weigh? From what I can find on the internet it is somewhere north of 1000 pounds. I don’t know about you, but I would be uncomfortable trying to swap it out at the filling station. Not to mention for the car stability they put them sort of low in the frame to keep the vehicle from being top heavy... that means you would have to remove everything above the battery to get at it. For most people who are driving more than 250 miles in a day or between charges electric vehicles are stupid. That being said, I have a buddy who has multiple Tesla’s and he plans at least one road trip a year where he plans his route on supercharger stations. He loves his Teslas that much. I still think it is not a way I want to take a trip.

YMMV and IMHO

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
For most people who are driving more than 250 miles in a day or between charges electric vehicles are stupid. That being said, I have a buddy who has multiple Tesla’s and he plans at least one road trip a year where he plans his route on supercharger stations. He loves his Teslas that much. I still think it is not a way I want to take a trip.

YMMV and IMHO
Exactly, EVs have their place: for people living in suburbs who commute every day; unplug it in the morning, drove to work, drive home, plug it in at night. For some people, that is sufficient enough for them to own one as their only vehicle. For others it would be a second car for that purpose only, and they will own a gasoline or diesel vehicle of their choice for fun.

Not sure why people think EVs mean you have to give up your gas-powered vehicles. They're an option for those who one would work for; if that's not you, move along. :facepalm:
Sponsored