Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Usually, the only winners in a class-action suit are the lawyers.
Mopar will have a controller available long before a judge would even see the case.
Unfortunately, you are correct. On both counts.
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
What remedies would you request from the court?
What would we, those waiting for the controller, get from such a lawsuit?
Usually, the only winners in a class-action suit are the lawyers.
Mopar will have a controller available long before a judge would even see the case.
Free brake controller and install or deduction from what we paid for the vehicle

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Free brake controller and install or deduction from what we paid for the vehicle
That would only apply if you could show that the truck was sold with a controller included in the price paid.
My truck included the tow package, but a brake controller was not listed as being a part of it.
There's no remedy for an optional accessory that is advertised and not delivered unless money was collected from the buyer for the item.
You could try for emotional damage, but it would go nowhere since equivalent options are available from other sources.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
That would only apply if you could show that the truck was sold with a controller included in the price paid.
My truck included the tow package, but a brake controller was not listed as being a part of it.
There's no remedy for an optional accessory that is advertised and not delivered unless money was collected from the buyer for the item.
You could try for emotional damage, but it would go nowhere since equivalent options are available from other sources.
Maybe. FCA explicitly states a brake controller is AVAILABLE and touts towing capability. That induced me to buy the truck. At least in my state, false advertising statutes are very clear and I think what FCA is doing with this brake controller nonesense is grounds for some remedial action. I dont want anything but a trailer brake controller that is available and functions as advertised

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe. FCA explicitly states a brake controller is AVAILABLE and touts towing capability. That induced me to buy the truck. At least in my state, false advertising statutes are very clear and I think what FCA is doing with this brake controller nonesense is grounds for some remedial action. I dont want anything but a trailer brake controller that is available and functions as advertised
That's what I just wrote to my dealer - explaining that a TRAILER TOWING PACKAGE was supposed to include an available brake controller. It was an influencing factor (yeah, not a huge one, but it did play into the decision since my main thing was being able to tow a car hauler with trailer brakes) and it's not much of a package if all it has is a harness with a place for brake signal and a hitch - but no brake controller.
And I asked - what's up - please dig into it. I don't expect much - but figured I'd sort of express some displeasure at the fact they listed the darned thing for months and now say "coming this summer" because we know that no matter what the release date is, the pent up demand means we won't see any sent out of the factory until they have their fill.

Sponsored

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
Coincidence they used a jeep in the add above the demo unit?

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
Has anyone attempted to use the Curt Echo Mobile Trailer Brake Controller for an interim solution until the FCA version comes out in 2030?
https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Cont...MI-M2xlPWG5wIVFtJkCh3hDAd9EAQYAyABEgIehvD_BwE
I've been eyeing that since I got my Gladiator. Now that it appears the factory unit is delayed yet again I'll probably pick one up soon. That way I can easily swap to the Mopar unit if/when it finally arrives. Though I had to tow about 3500 pounds the other day and it handled it better than I was expecting (easy 90 miles over flat roads).

In regards to the question earlier about towing capacity with vs. without a brake controller, at least where I am (Minnesota) I don't think there is a difference there *but* any trailer over 3000 pounds is required to have working brakes. For a trailer with electric brakes that means you need a brake controller to be fully legal. That's why so many small utility trailers cap out at 2999 pounds - 1 more pound and brakes would be required.

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
I've been eyeing that since I got my Gladiator. Now that it appears the factory unit is delayed yet again I'll probably pick one up soon. That way I can easily swap to the Mopar unit if/when it finally arrives. Though I had to tow about 3500 pounds the other day and it handled it better than I was expecting (easy 90 miles over flat roads).

In regards to the question earlier about towing capacity with vs. without a brake controller, at least where I am (Minnesota) I don't think there is a difference there *but* any trailer over 3000 pounds is required to have working brakes. For a trailer with electric brakes that means you need a brake controller to be fully legal. That's why so many small utility trailers cap out at 2999 pounds - 1 more pound and brakes would be required.
Interesting, it's not valid here as far as I know. Can't get much flater than Louisiana. But lack of brake controller with a 3k trailer limit makes the 4k limit of the stick tranny much more reasonable. I wonder if that played in to any of the FCA logic.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I just wrote to my dealer - explaining that a TRAILER TOWING PACKAGE was supposed to include an available brake controller. It was an influencing factor (yeah, not a huge one, but it did play into the decision since my main thing was being able to tow a car hauler with trailer brakes) and it's not much of a package if all it has is a harness with a place for brake signal and a hitch - but no brake controller.
And I asked - what's up - please dig into it. I don't expect much - but figured I'd sort of express some displeasure at the fact they listed the darned thing for months and now say "coming this summer" because we know that no matter what the release date is, the pent up demand means we won't see any sent out of the factory until they have their fill.
I understand the frustration. I like the Curt controller, but want to see what the Mopar unit offers before purchasing.

I still have to ask, do you have anything (picture, screenshot, printout, printed ad) specifically stating that the brake controller is included as part of the Tow Package?

I expected the Tow Package to include the connection point to plug in a brake controller, but not the controller itself.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I have seen a built in brake controller in our company f250 ford. It is not common to include the controller. If it is an optional accessory that's fine. Some people tow things that don't need brakes, some tow things that come with surge or hydraulic brakes. Jeep did advertise the controller built in with a picture of it but later took it down. The dealers were never able to put it in the build as far as I know, at lest they were not able at the time I ordered mine last May.
I think they were priced at $295.00. So if you could get one now with a 15% discount that would be $250.75 and then installation costs. You may be able to install yourself but I'd bet you will have to tell the computer there's a new kid in town.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I understand the frustration. I like the Curt controller, but want to see what the Mopar unit offers before purchasing.

I still have to ask, do you have anything (picture, screenshot, printout, printed ad) specifically stating that the brake controller is included as part of the Tow Package?

I expected the Tow Package to include the connection point to plug in a brake controller, but not the controller itself.
No - it's just interesting they list it as a package. As far as I know it was always a distinct option.
I was just wording it in such a way as to express disappointment that a package wasn't really quite a package - and he knew what I was going to haul and just see if I can get him out of his chair to dig a bit more.
Some trucks it is, some it isn't. If you have something with surge brakes, it's not needed........

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I think the only claim you really have is the advertisement of "best in class towing" that claim could probably be attacked given the listing of an unavailable accessory required to achieve this. But like others have said by the time you get your money if it makes it to a settlement years from now the lawyers will get everything. My guess is it wouldn't be worth the effort for the $14 we might get. lol

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I'm with @ShadowsPapa in that I never use the 12V outlet for anything these days, so losing it wasn't a big deal. As for the amount of wire, it probably would require lengthening it to move it too far. There was a enough to easily pull the dash out and unplug it, but there wasn't tons past that. If you didn't want to hack up the factory wiring, you could probably use the Quadratec 12V tap they make sinc eit goes in-between the outlet and dash harness, and cut/extend the wires on it to relocate it.

I think we talked about the Switch before, but my oldest has a brick for his he plugs into the 110 outlet on the back of the console, so it hasn't been a problem. You now have me wondering if I could make an extension harness and relocate the 12V outlet to the back of the console for the rear seat passengers. Probably not something high up my priority list. I still haven't tried plugging his Switch into the UBS-C outlets on the back of the console to see if they put out enough power to keep up.
Yes we have. I still need to get out there and measure power output to see if the usb-c ports are even outputting PD at 18 watts or are there just for show. For the setup I have going for my kids I actually use a portable 13inch monitor that runs over standard usb and then the switch in the dock so they can all play it. The switch in the dock uses 27 or 29 watts I think to run that, the built in ports can run the monitor no problem. So far I have only ran this setup in my prius where I have a 45 watt PD charger in the 12volt outlet.

I am guessing it probably shouldn't be a concern, but I am always hesitant to use something like an AC outlet just due to the load since Taking DC to AC to DC again isn't the most efficient process. But with a switch the demand is low enough it shouldn't really be an issue.

I do really like the idea of relocating this to the rear, would be way more useful back there overall for me since for now the built in outlets work fine.

I can tell this much about the JT USB - they are not "fast charge" connections. Takes forever to charge my LG stuff where if I use LG's charger in 110 it takes only about 1/3 the time to charge up. Took forever for the JT's usb to get my phone from 25 to 38% the other day. At home it would have been fully charged.
I really do wish the UConnect supported wireless android auto since the ports in this truck were already outdated by modern charging standards when the note 10 launched in the summer. Soon we will be stuck in the conundrum of using android auto or having full speed charging. Kind of wishing this thing had more 12 volt outlets and less USB ports that are already kind of outdated.
Sponsored