Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Jeep did advertise the controller built in with a picture of it but later took it down.
No they didn't. It's been on the Jeep site for nearly a year now, and is still there today, which is the very definition of false advertising. To make matters worse, it's false advertising on a critical safety feature that is required by law in many states.

https://www.jeep.com/gladiator/utility.html
Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Your right I see its in the link you posted. I've been looking in the "build your jeep" area and haven't seen it to add on. I have noticed a rise in pricing since I've got mine. I dose look to be false advertising but as far as the safety issue goes, that is the responsibility of the operator otherwise they would not be allowed to sell tow vehicles in those states.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Manufactures are not held to their print or website advertising and even the Jeep page under their legal section and terms of use have the below disclaimer.:

FCA US attempts to be as accurate as possible when describing its products and services. However, FCA US does not warrant that product or service descriptions or specifications are accurate, complete, reliable, current, or error-free.
Only thing they can be held to is the window sticker and build sheet when the vehicle is built. Assumptions the end user has as to what should be there but not verified as built is on that end user. Not fair but is the legal reality.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
At least we have it slightly better than the Ranger guys. They were promised an integrated controller, then later the Ford said, never mind, no integrated controller, but we have a dealer accessory you can add. Turned out to be a Redarc setup in a Ford box for more money. They don't even have a brake controller plug under the dash, they give you 4 loose wires to splice into.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Manufactures are not held to their print or website advertising and even the Jeep page under their legal section and terms of use have the below disclaimer.:

Only thing they can be held to is the window sticker and build sheet when the vehicle is built. Assumptions the end user has as to what should be there but not verified as built is on that end user. Not fair but is the legal reality.
As frustrating as it is, and even I holler about it - hey, they said so and there's a picture right there - see? Brake controller!
You are correct - that disclaimer leaves then an easy out. And it's the same disclaimer they all use, it's not just FCA.
I'm frustrated as heck about it and yet - there was no written promise, no specific date saying "you WILL have this by xxx"
So doesn't matter how upset I or anyone else may or may not be - I hate like heck to admit it but you nailed it - no promise, there's the disclaimer.
Now - some courts have said that "a reasonable person may assume" - it's happening more and more where the courts rule based on what a "reasonable person" may read in an ad - but like others have stated - I really appreciated the 4 bucks I got from Toshiba a few years ago - WAHOO!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well I just ordered the Redarc Tow Pro Elite and I went with the Ram 1500 harness. Saved me $20 if it works. Thanks to @jwilson2899 for the advice there.

I'll post a video to my YouTube channel when I get it installed. Might help somebody. Sometimes a video is worth 10,000 words.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
As frustrating as it is, and even I holler about it - hey, they said so and there's a picture right there - see? Brake controller!
You are correct - that disclaimer leaves then an easy out. And it's the same disclaimer they all use, it's not just FCA.
I'm frustrated as heck about it and yet - there was no written promise, no specific date saying "you WILL have this by xxx"
So doesn't matter how upset I or anyone else may or may not be - I hate like heck to admit it but you nailed it - no promise, there's the disclaimer.
Now - some courts have said that "a reasonable person may assume" - it's happening more and more where the courts rule based on what a "reasonable person" may read in an ad - but like others have stated - I really appreciated the 4 bucks I got from Toshiba a few years ago - WAHOO!
Yeah I was going to say, that disclaimer actually doesn't mean a thing. If it did, any person could simply type up a few words to prevent any legal recourse against their business despite knowledge of wrongdoing. The right class action suit presented to the right court of law would easily go beyond that disclaimer. I just don't have the time or desire to fool with it over a $250 part.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have to make two runs now - Omaha and to Fort Wayne - I have to check with my partner in crime over there - MAYBE I can get by without the trailer for the Indiana run, but Omaha - two large 12' dealer signs - eh, no, must have trailer.
I'll be watching to see how this all turns out.
Got a call minutes ago from dealer - I had emailed yesterday sort of a "what's up, any news, what have you heard" question.
The phone call was "we now hear mid-April sometime". Cannot wait THAT long! I need one way sooner.
So will be watching this to see how things turn out.
Like I explained to the dealer- I went with the idea and promise of an INTEGRATED, built-in, controller that worked in conjunction with the existing wiring and systems of the truck - no hacking, no splicing, now making something work - plug and play, full integration - the same spot as the factory controller, same size, same functionality, same wiring, no hacking or cutting, that the system would be aware and work with it and not kick any errors at all - and that if something failed, FCA could not come back "you own it, not our problem, it blew out your PCM so you own us a few grand to fix it" BS.
So what happens if an after-market controller is installed and the system starts kicking errors, the brake lights don't work, or something gets fried?
Yeah, I thought so - we own it.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I haven't been following along much but it seems this thread title is misleading. Is the factory controller actually available or still vaporware?

Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
So what happens if an after-market controller is installed and the system starts kicking errors, the brake lights don't work, or something gets fried?
There are multi millions of controllers in use out there, people either like them or not but they don't seem to blame the vehicle that their installed in.
I wouldn't worry about it.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Well I just ordered the Redarc Tow Pro Elite and I went with the Ram 1500 harness. Saved me $20 if it works. Thanks to @jwilson2899 for the advice there.

I'll post a video to my YouTube channel when I get it installed. Might help somebody. Sometimes a video is worth 10,000 words.
Video would be awesome, can't wait for that. Videos have saved me so much frustration.

I have to make two runs now - Omaha and to Fort Wayne - I have to check with my partner in crime over there - MAYBE I can get by without the trailer for the Indiana run, but Omaha - two large 12' dealer signs - eh, no, must have trailer.
I'll be watching to see how this all turns out.
Got a call minutes ago from dealer - I had emailed yesterday sort of a "what's up, any news, what have you heard" question.
The phone call was "we now hear mid-April sometime". Cannot wait THAT long! I need one way sooner.
So will be watching this to see how things turn out.
Like I explained to the dealer- I went with the idea and promise of an INTEGRATED, built-in, controller that worked in conjunction with the existing wiring and systems of the truck - no hacking, no splicing, now making something work - plug and play, full integration - the same spot as the factory controller, same size, same functionality, same wiring, no hacking or cutting, that the system would be aware and work with it and not kick any errors at all - and that if something failed, FCA could not come back "you own it, not our problem, it blew out your PCM so you own us a few grand to fix it" BS.
Yeah, I thought so - we own it.
All the BS FCA has done with getting this controller on the market and still not giving a firm date has just motivated me to not give them any more money. I am just really hoping that if and when their version drops it is over $300 and offers no additional functionality. This way I will feel good about my decision to install my own, lol

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There are multi millions of controllers in use out there, people either like them or not but they don't seem to blame the vehicle that their installed in.
I wouldn't worry about it.
My concern would be - and likely a non-issue based on the dozens of installs just by forum members, not to mention others - "what if" you have a non-"supplied by mopar" controller installed, there is somehow a malfunction or damage to the Jeep system - say brake lights fail, or they get an error on the display like a couple of folks had early on (that the diode seemed to resolve) - and you take the vehicle to the dealer - hey, my brake lights quit working, or there's some other issue - will the dealer blame the issue on the controller and refuse to repair the issue?
Again, not likely as there are so many that just plain work and work fine, and so far the only problem I have seen was resolved early on by the diode in the harness, but when you start mixing non-Jeep stuff in the mix, and then you have system issues, brake light failures, just wondering if they can refuse to fix something because there's a non-factory supplied part plugged in.

I have no choice - I have to install something, it was just a "wondering" - or "what if" thing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Video would be awesome, can't wait for that. Videos have saved me so much frustration.

All the BS FCA has done with getting this controller on the market and still not giving a firm date has just motivated me to not give them any more money. I am just really hoping that if and when their version drops it is over $300 and offers no additional functionality. This way I will feel good about my decision to install my own, lol
My dealer's accessories person actually referred me to the company that they use to have brake controllers and other items like remote start and steps and so on installed. This dealer does NOTHING that isn't factory! Nothing.