Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
A seat belt works on a cam. Its either locked tight or not.
I emailed REDARC for some input.

Off to bed, back tomorrow.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
A seat belt works on a cam. Its either locked tight or not.
I emailed REDARC for some input.

Off to bed, back tomorrow.
No, it doesn't - not all. I have proof, over a dozen in a tub in my shop. They are loose until a sudden stop moved a weight and locks them.
I do restoration and have a lot of seat belt parts laying around. There are weights in there in some models. That's why you can lean forward and the seat belt moves with you with no resistance save for the retractor spring tension. If you hit the brakes the seat belt won't allow you to lean forward.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still going to wait. With the collision avoidance I would hate for the truck not knowing there is a trailer connected and then have the trailer pass me during a hard emergency brake.
If the collision avoidance system applies the brakes the REDARC will apply the trailer brakes as well.

‘Proportional Mode’ (Inertia sensing) for highway conditions will apply the trailer brakes to match the pressure being applied to the Gladiator brakes.
That would be the case if during a collision avoidance hard brake a brake signal is actually being sent to the brake controller. Most brake controllers are activated by a pedal switch which sends the signal. If the avoidance system is doing the braking the pedal switch is not being activated and therefore the brake controller is not being activated proportional or not. It all comes down to where the brake signal wire actually receives the information from. If its directly from the computer I think we would be in luck but, if its a pedal type switch that's going to cause issues. Of course I could be wrong and it would work just fine. Its too bad that it might be hard to do some testing to confirm.
So after putting about 500 miles today on towing my new trailer, most all of it interstate, I can say with absolute certainty that the Redarc works well with the adaptive cruise and FCW. I kept an eye on it, and when the cruise would slow me down upon approaching traffic, I would see the red light on the Redarc which means it is getting the signal from the truck to apply the brakes, and I could feel everything slowing down nicely as one unit. Works very smoothly, and the Gladiator is a far better tow rig than my Tacoma ever was.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
They are loose until a sudden stop moved a weight and locks them.
Mine lock in with a sudden pull. If I yank on the shoulder strap it locks in if the vehicle is moving or not. Is there a weight in the roller mechanism that is doing that? If so I stand corrected. I was thinking in the direction of the being like the buckle adjustment roller cam that secures the strap when you snug it up.

Any how it appears that @jwilson2899 is confirming what I thought would happen.

windyridge89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Stingray Gladiator Maxtow
So after putting about 500 miles today on towing my new trailer, most all of it interstate, I can say with absolute certainty that the Redarc works well with the adaptive cruise and FCW. I kept an eye on it, and when the cruise would slow me down upon approaching traffic, I would see the red light on the Redarc which means it is getting the signal from the truck to apply the brakes, and I could feel everything slowing down nicely as one unit. Works very smoothly, and the Gladiator is a far better tow rig than my Tacoma ever was.
Thanks that is exactly what I needed to know!

Sponsored

windyridge89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Stingray Gladiator Maxtow
What I was getting at is typically a proportional brake system is not working all the time. It is only working when you are actively applying the brakes. If the system was active all the time coasting, downshifting, traveling up and down hills the trailer would surely brake from time to time and make for an unpleasant and unexpected ride. Of course the Redarc might be smart enough to handle those situations also. Looks like I'm not going to wait and get that guy installed this winter.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I kind of got what you were saying. I can't believe Jeep would have the avoidance system apply the trailer brakes. But you might be on to something. It may be one reason that they have not come out with the controller due to the models that have the avoidance system.

@WXman , you have any thoughts?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I kind of got what you were saying. I can't believe Jeep would have the avoidance system apply the trailer brakes. But you might be on to something. It may be one reason that they have not come out with the controller due to the models that have the avoidance system.

Interesting question. I haven't thought of it much because I didn't order that stuff on my truck.

I would assume that while trailer towing, active safety features would be disabled altogether. There are too many variables with all the various trailers and weights to try and account for that in active safety programming. I'm surprised that any of it is allowed to be activated with a trailer in tow.

Redarc also reminded me that if you apply brake to only the trailer using the control knob on the dash, the brake lights will not activate. The brake lights only activate with the main brake pedal.

Reactions: KVJ

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

It is definitely doing that. When the adaptive cruise applies brakes, I see the brake lights on the truck come on. This in turn also triggers the trailer brake controller to apply brakes. I’m fairly certain the FCW will do the same. I think this why the diode in the brake controller harness is needed, because it’s back feeding stuff that’s not expected to see the power for the brake lights coming that direction.

Reactions: KVJ

Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
How do you think the "jeep" branded controller is going to talk to the vehicle in any other way than the aftermarket ones ? I highly doubt they will. It will most likely plug directly into the same plug we plugged our aftermarket in. To work with the vehicle any other way would require programming in the computer and different harness's. I doubt that to be the case for something they sell aftermarket.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
How do you think the "jeep" branded controller is going to talk to the vehicle in any other way than the aftermarket ones ? I highly doubt they will. It will most likely plug directly into the same plug we plugged our aftermarket in. To work with the vehicle any other way would require programming in the computer and different harness's. I doubt that to be the case for something they sell aftermarket.
Well, that's the million dollar question we've all been waiting to answer. Will it use the same connection under the dash? Or is there another connection we don't know about?

One would think that if it's going to connect to the simple 4-pin connection under the dash, it would not take them twelve months of validation to get it to market.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I agree, but i dont see how it could get retrofitted and sold for the prices folks are stating without that. When i had a ford I ordered the "ford parts" controller and it was a a prodigy 2 with a ford sticker on it. Didn't fit in the dash where the factory one would go so required it to mounted under the dash. I am sure Jeep will be better but for the price the Rearc works great and looks great. Waiting a year for a controller vs pulling a trailer without was a pretty simple choice for me.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Here is an email I received today from REDARC:

Hello Kenny.

No problems mate, I appreciated your help.

The Tow Pro will only brake if it sees 12v on the brake wire Kenny. Just purely inertia will not activate the Tow Pro. The good thing about using the “plug and play” harness is that its wired into the factory Jeep location. Luckily vehicle manufacturers these days think of things like this and have made sure a 12v signal is sent to this plug under ALL braking conditions.

So Jeff’s results are 100% correct. There is no need for you or other Jeep Gladiators to be concerned, the Tow Pro will “just work” as long as the brake pickup is taken from the plug under the dash.

One a small side note, for other vehicles that do not have this plug. The safest place to take the brake pickup from is the trailer plug itself. As by law all braking applications need to activate the brakes lights on the trailer itself (and its just common sense).

Cheers Kenny, hope you are well mate and enjoying your Jeep!

Best regards,

Todd Simpson
[email protected]

Copy to:
@WXman
@jwilson2899

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I use my trailer quite a bit, and really could not wait for a brake controller. I have had good luck with the Hopkins Insight Controller. I was able to put heat shrink spade terminals on the Harness that came in the box, and plug it directly into the factory connector. I put a piece of heatshrink over the whole thing. Works great! Has multiple brake curves and power settings. My trailer slows down nice and easy. The display works nicely, and the brake lights come on with the controller. Maybe my imagination, but I thought I felt the ABS shuttle the rear brakes once when I had to watch out for a "good" driver.
20200123_215848.jpg
20200123_215903.jpg
Sponsored