Sponsored

Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Owners manual states the 4 pin connector included under the dash with the trailer tow package is for “aftermarket trailer brake controllers”. Makes me wonder if the factory integrated controller hooks up elsewhere allowing strength and gain settings to be adjusted in the center dash display like it is on the full size trucks.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
How do you think the "jeep" branded controller is going to talk to the vehicle in any other way than the aftermarket ones ? I highly doubt they will. It will most likely plug directly into the same plug we plugged our aftermarket in. To work with the vehicle any other way would require programming in the computer and different harness's. I doubt that to be the case for something they sell aftermarket.
Well, that's the million dollar question we've all been waiting to answer. Will it use the same connection under the dash? Or is there another connection we don't know about?

One would think that if it's going to connect to the simple 4-pin connection under the dash, it would not take them twelve months of validation to get it to market.
Owners manual states the 4 pin connector included under the dash with the trailer tow package is for “aftermarket trailer brake controllers”. Makes me wonder if the factory integrated controller hooks up elsewhere allowing strength and gain settings to be adjusted in the center dash display like it is on the full size trucks.
Hopefully we'll find out in late spring/early summer.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I am 80 percent sure the factory controller will use the Class II datalink. There is already a driver tied into the brake circuit when I traced the brake wire under the dash. I am pretty sure it will use the radio display and require programming. I would not be surprised if programming is what is holding it up at this minute as it will need to coordinate with the stability control, powered electronics, and the entertainment system. I have had several trucks with integrated controllers. They are nice, but I get 95% of what I need aftermarket and it is a bit quicker to make changes to it. And on the jeep I get to keep a power port.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Hopefully we'll find out in late spring/early summer.
Yep. For now I have an older curt brake controller. It’s a time delay unit, not motion sensitive one, so I ordered the $10 prewired quick connect cable for it to plug into the 4 pin under the dash. That way I’ll still be able to pull the camper with that for now and see what they come up with later. At that point I’ll decide if I want to go with the mopar one or use this harness to hook into one of the curt spectrum controllers.

Sponsored

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
Get the curt brake controller, ram wiring harness, switch the black and blue and make it look almost dactory without waiting.

20200103_183833.jpg
Do how did you get it up in there? I kind of like this location the most.

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
Do how did you get it up in there? I kind of like this location the most.
If you look closely you can see the cable near the column adjuster, I just ran it into the column fabric area and down to the controller. really easy to run and mount the dial.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
I'm so thankful to fca/jeep for this vehicle of dreams that i'll happily solve this issue another way. Just picked up a curt echo, will see how that goes. Anyway, no offense but quit whining, shit happens. If this is the hill to die on then we are all in trouble.

Now where's that book again...how to win friends and influence people? I think i need to read it again.;)

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
I'm so thankful to fca/jeep for this vehicle of dreams that i'll happily solve this issue another way. Just picked up a curt echo, will see how that goes. Anyway, no offense but quit whining, shit happens. If this is the hill to die on then we are all in trouble.

Now where's that book again...how to win friends and influence people? I think i need to read it again.;)
Let us know how the echo works. I have it filed away as an option but hadn’t seen any reviews on it yet.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
For what it's worth, it still isn't showing up as coming with any of the trims/packages on the build site nor can you option it.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Let us know how the echo works. I have it filed away as an option but hadn’t seen any reviews on it yet.
There are a ton of reviews on Amazon and they're mixed. Lots of issues with that unit probably because it has no way to prevent feedback into the brake wiring. Even some comments about it popping out of the receptacle while driving rendering the driver with no trailer brakes.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Ya I read up on them, I don’t pull my trailer very often. Could be ideal for my needs.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is an example of what I was talking about regarding the factory controllers typically having more features. On the Ram, you have screens where you can adjust gain, track trailer mileage, etc. You also have memory for up to four different trailers so that your gain settings, mileage, etc. are automatic when you select each in the display. And, I believe that connecting a trailer "tells" the computer to adjust some parameters also (though on the Ram there is a dedicated tow/haul button unlike on the Jeep). Plus, this option is $250, which is exactly what I spent doing the Redarc aftermarket installation with a single control and no other features.

FCA needs to integrate the Gladiator controller like this for the 2021+ models. They should have had this ready for production BEFORE the Max Towing package was offered for sale.

20200306_090529[1].jpg

20200306_090559[1].jpg

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
This is an example of what I was talking about regarding the factory controllers typically having more features. On the Ram, you have screens where you can adjust gain, track trailer mileage, etc. You also have memory for up to four different trailers so that your gain settings, mileage, etc. are automatic when you select each in the display. And, I believe that connecting a trailer "tells" the computer to adjust some parameters also (though on the Ram there is a dedicated tow/haul button unlike on the Jeep). Plus, this option is $250, which is exactly what I spent doing the Redarc aftermarket installation with a single control and no other features.

FCA needs to integrate the Gladiator controller like this for the 2021+ models. They should have had this ready for production BEFORE the Max Towing package was offered for sale.

20200306_090529[1].jpg

20200306_090559[1].jpg
That’s what I was talking about in an earlier post! Didn’t have any pics of it and my Ram was an older one so it had the smaller center display And didn’t have trailer trip miles but it too had memory for different trailers so I could set the gain setting lower for the flat trailer and higher for the 16’ cargo camper and select which trailer I was pulling that day. I bought a $10 adapter harness for my old Curt Discovery for now in case the factory controller doesn’t come out before my trip next month but am really hoping it comes out before that and has that kind of integration

BTW. Little jelly of the fancy integration you have right now. Lol
Sponsored