First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
If you don't have it, I would request the decision from Jeep/ZF in writing. The important piece is ZF saying Amsoil is not an acceptable fluid. Give that to your attorney along with the Amsoil printed literature saying that it is an equivalent replacement.

Amsoil is not responsible for the transmission failure, but they are the only party left to legally go after due to their 'fraudulent' advertising. A good lawyer may be able to get them to pay for repairs in exchange for your silence regarding the matter.
I reached out to ZF. AMSOIL’s data sheet means nothing to them. Concerning this transmission and ZF, AMSOIL is not approved.

Let AMSOIL’s vitamin manager work it out.
Sponsored

Reactions: Mac

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
I reached out to ZF. AMSOIL’s data sheet means nothing to them. Concerning this transmission and ZF, AMSOIL is not approved.

You need ZF stating that IN WRITING. You may also want them to provide a list of "Approved" fluids. You may need to have your lawyer request this information via legal channels.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

I looked at the data sheet and warranty AMSOIL provides for us here in the USA and unless you have documentation where AMSOIL says they are a licensed or certified spec product, I think you are pissing up a rope trying to hang your hat on AMSOIL.

Verbiage means everything and while their spec sheet uses the word "recommendation" for use with the listed specifications, it is another thing to say that they are saying they are meeting the specifications listed and certified as such. I know that sounds like word fuckery but that is not uncommon with a lot of automotive fluids and not unique to AMSOIL.

Their warranty is pretty specific and I doubt this is there first rodeo about such things.

Attachments

Last edited:

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The United States is different than Canada, so that's where you're seeing some drama. The U.S. has the protections of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants are Warranty Secure™

"AMSOIL developed the Warranty Secure icon and associated statement to simply and effectively reinforce the truth about warranties and your right to use AMSOIL synthetic lubricants. The statement uses clear, direct language to remind consumers that the law is on their side, while the icon serves to quiet fears consumers may have as a result of misleading or false claims from an OEM, dealership or mechanic. Pursuant to the Magnuson Moss Act, motorists and enthusiasts have the right to use whichever brand of oil they prefer and to practice extended drain intervals without voiding their factory warranties.

AMSOIL stands behind its products and the people who use them. If the OEM claims use of AMSOIL products violates the warranty, contact AMSOIL Technical Services (715-399-TECH)."

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
The United States is different than Canada, so that's where you're seeing some drama. The U.S. has the protections of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants are Warranty Secure™

"AMSOIL developed the Warranty Secure icon and associated statement to simply and effectively reinforce the truth about warranties and your right to use AMSOIL synthetic lubricants. The statement uses clear, direct language to remind consumers that the law is on their side, while the icon serves to quiet fears consumers may have as a result of misleading or false claims from an OEM, dealership or mechanic. Pursuant to the Magnuson Moss Act, motorists and enthusiasts have the right to use whichever brand of oil they prefer and to practice extended drain intervals without voiding their factory warranties.

AMSOIL stands behind its products and the people who use them. If the OEM claims use of AMSOIL products violates the warranty, contact AMSOIL Technical Services (715-399-TECH)."
Magnuson-Moss is useless here, as it's not the brand that's the issue, it's that the fluid doesn't meet the requirements. You still have to meet the manufacturers requirements, or as mentioned before you could pour peanut oil in there and still be covered.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
it's that the fluid doesn't meet the requirements.
According to Amsoil, the ATL and OTL meet FCA's requirements. FCA and ZF are not the same company., nor do they have the same recommendations. For example, ZF recommends changing the fluid much sooner than FCA does. FCA should be dealing with this issue, not ZF.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
According to Amsoil, the ATL and OTL meet FCA's requirements. FCA and ZF are not the same company., nor do they have the same recommendations. For example, ZF recommends changing the fluid much sooner than FCA does. FCA should be dealing with this issue, not ZF.
Amsoil's ATL documentation says
Use AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF in transmissions and other applications that require any of the following specifications:
Aisin-Warner AW-1; BMW 83 22 0 142 516, 83 22 2 152 426; Chrysler MOPAR* 68157995AA, SP-IV, 68218925AB; DSIH 6p805; Ford MERCON* LV, SP, ULV; GM DEXRON* HP, DEXRON* VI, ULV; Honda/Acura DW-1,* Type 3.0; Honda 2.0; Hyundai/Kia SP-IV, SPH- IV, SP-IV-RR, NWS-9638, SP4-M; JASO 1A-LV; JWS 3324; Mazda ATF FZ; Mercedes Benz 236.12, 236.14, 236.15, 236.41; Mitsubishi SP-IV, ATF J3, ATF-PA, ATF-MA1; Nissan Matic- S, Matic W; Saab 93 165 147; Shell M-1375.4, M-1375.5, M-1375.6, M-L 12108; Toyota WS; Volvo 31256774; VW/Audi G 055 005, G 055 162, G 060 162; ZF S671 090 255.
Amsoil's OTL documentation says
AMSOIL OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended for transmissions and other applications that requires any of the following specifications:

Aisin-Warner BMW 83 22 0 142 516, 83 22 2 152 426; Chrylser MOPAR* 68157995AA, SP-IV, 68218925AB; DSIH 6p805; Ford MERCON* LV; GM DEXRON* VI; Honda/Acura Hyundai/Kia 9638, SP4-M; JASO 1A-LV; JWS 3324; Mercedes Benz 236.12, 236.14, 236.15, 236.41; Mitsubishi SP-IV, ATF J3, ATF-PA, ATF- MA1; Nissan SAAB 93 165 147; Shell M-1375.4, M-1375.5, M-1375.6, M-L12108; Toyota Volvo 31256774; VW/Audi G 055 005, G 055 162, G 060 162; ZF S671 090 255.
Emphasis is mine. It does not say that their fluid meets the specifications, simply "use" or "recommended". In fact, it's impossible for it to meet the specifications for all of those different fluids, as those fluids are not all the same fluid.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
FCA/Jeep/Canada did deal with the issue. They deferred to ZF, who said Amsoil was not an acceptable fluid. Based on that, they denied warranty coverage for the transmission repair.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
FCA/Jeep/Canada did deal with the issue. They deferred to ZF, who said Amsoil was not an acceptable fluid. Based on that, they denied warranty coverage for the transmission repair.
That's very shady of FCA to do. When there's a warranty issue with Cummins or VM Motori, FCA doesn't defer to the engine builder. Cummins won't even work on a Ram truck since it's not an authorized dealer. Under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, which Canada doesn't have, the OEM must prove that the aftermarket oil/fluid/filter was the cause of component failure.

Instead of investigating the true cause of failure, FCA and their close partner, ZF, have decided to screw the customer.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's very shady of FCA to do. When there's a warranty issue with Cummins or VM Motori, FCA doesn't defer to the engine builder. Cummins won't even work on a Ram truck since it's not an authorized dealer. Under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, which Canada doesn't have, the OEM must prove that the aftermarket oil/fluid/filter was the cause of component failure.

Instead of investigating the true cause of failure, FCA and their close partner, ZF, have decided to screw the customer.
The customer is getting screwed, but he brought it on by putting a non-Jeep fluid in a transmission that is labeled as a 'lifetime' fill. If he had used the factory recommended fluid, this discussion would never have happened. The first Service Advisor he talked to said to just drive it until it breaks. He ignored that advice, and see where it is now.

FCA and ZF will also claim the true cause of failure can no longer be determined because the owner opened the transmission and replaced the fluid. They can deny responsibility since a non-dealer was inside the transmission.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The customer is getting screwed, but he brought it on by putting a non-Jeep fluid in a transmission that is labeled as a 'lifetime' fill. If he had used the factory recommended fluid, this discussion would never have happened. The first Service Advisor he talked to said to just drive it until it breaks. He ignored that advice, and see where it is now.

FCA and ZF will also claim the true cause of failure can no longer be determined because the owner opened the transmission and replaced the fluid. They can deny responsibility since a non-dealer was inside the transmission.
I agree the owner made some mistakes. If there are transmission issues, changing the fluid isn't going to fix those issues. Transmission fluid just keeps a proper functioning transmission in good working order through lubrication, pressure, and friction. With that said, I'm not here to beat up on the owner. I just feel like FCA and/or ZF could do more to help the owner out.

In the U.S.A, we have seen two documented instances where the original owner lost a diesel engine at 102,000 - 104,000 miles, just a few thousand miles outside of the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. In one case, FCA paid for 50% of the cost. In the second case, the owner had to pay for an engine at dealer's cost, but FCA installed it for free. FCA had no obligation to help either owner, but they did out of good faith.

An 8-speed transmission failure is extremely rare. They seem to run forever. The highest mileage ZF transmission behind an EcoDiesel had 750,000 miles on when it failed, and even then, it just needed to be taken apart to have a solenoid replaced. It was cheaper for the owner to buy a used ZF transmission than to repair the one with 750,000 miles, so that's what he opted to do. I can only think of a few times in all the years of scrolling through the forums in which someone had a transmission issue.

Considering that @Maximus Gladius had an early failure, it would only be fair for ZF to investigate what may have happened. Yes, Maximus made some mistakes, but out of good faith, there should be an attempt made to make it right with a customer. The dealer should have documentation that the customer had issues. If there is no documentation of an issue, then that dealership did a good job of putting the customer in a disadvantaged position.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree the owner made some mistakes. If there are transmission issues, changing the fluid isn't going to fix those issues. Transmission fluid just keeps a proper functioning transmission in good working order through lubrication, pressure, and friction. With that said, I'm not here to beat up on the owner. I just feel like FCA and/or ZF could do more to help the owner out.

In the U.S.A, we have seen two documented instances where the original owner lost a diesel engine at 102,000 - 104,000 miles, just a few thousand miles outside of the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. In one case, FCA paid for 50% of the cost. In the second case, the owner had to pay for an engine at dealer's cost, but FCA installed it for free. FCA had no obligation to help either owner, but they did out of good faith.

An 8-speed transmission failure is extremely rare. They seem to run forever. The highest mileage ZF transmission behind an EcoDiesel had 750,000 miles on when it failed, and even then, it just needed to be taken apart to have a solenoid replaced. It was cheaper for the owner to buy a used ZF transmission than to repair the one with 750,000 miles, so that's what he opted to do. I can only think of a few times in all the years of scrolling through the forums in which someone had a transmission issue.

Considering that @Maximus Gladius had an early failure, it would only be fair for ZF to investigate what may have happened. Yes, Maximus made some mistakes, but out of good faith, there should be an attempt made to make it right with a customer. The dealer should have documentation that the customer had issues. If there is no documentation of an issue, then that dealership did a good job of putting the customer in a disadvantaged position.
I feel bad for the OP. But, He is in another country, and the references to what happens here are of no use. FCA could do more, but they are going to do the legally required minimum.

In my view, having a non-dealer open a 'lifetime' fill transmission is similar to breaking the warranty seal on a device. You have just invalidated the warranty. Putting an obviously different fluid in it accentuates what was done. It allows the responsible party an out because they are no longer in control of the device. Legally, they can no longer be held responsible for repairing the device, since it was tampered with by an unauthorized entity.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I feel bad for the OP. But, He is in another country, and the references to what happens here are of no use. FCA could do more, but they are going to do the legally required minimum.

In my view, having a non-dealer open a 'lifetime' fill transmission is similar to breaking the warranty seal on a device. You have just invalidated the warranty. Putting an obviously different fluid in it accentuates what was done. It allows the responsible party an out because they are no longer in control of the device. Legally, they can no longer be held responsible for repairing the device, since it was tampered with by an unauthorized entity.
I didn't realize that he went to a non-dealer. Those mistakes are starting to add up. Only an authorized dealer can do work on a warrantied vehicle.

I run Amsoil in my ZF transmission, but I had the dealer do the drain and fill. I bought the Amsoil, and the dealer charged me $140 bucks to do the drain and fill and install the PPE transmission pan/gasket. My dealer gave me access to the shop so I could catch a fluid sample as it was draining. I take oil samples, transmission fluid samples, coolant samples, and gear lube samples on both EcoDiesel trucks. I've never had a warranty issue arise, but at least I have good documentation of what I used, when it was changed, and the condition of the oil/fluid when it was changed.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I didn't realize that he went to a non-dealer. Those mistakes are starting to add up. Only an authorized dealer can do work on a warrantied vehicle.
It’s all been a steep learning curve to not be physically (wrenching) involved and plan the best “fix” as I saw it and as the owners manual said. I’ve taken the hard boot in the ass so others don’t make the same mistakes. What was my first mistake?? Trusting the dealership. The service manager couldn’t do the flush and wanted $3400 to get the glycol out. I assumed he spoke for all dealerships. FCA said I needed to ask other dealerships. I didn’t think that was an option. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

When my engine misfired back in July 2021, and I showed the other dealership my UOA that my engine was consuming coolant and was told “coolant in the oil is normal” and FCA “NORM” (Techline engineer) didn’t care AT ALL that I had proof of internal leak and was fine with it, then when the second dealership said glycol in the transmission ‘won’t be viewed as an issue’ and cost of $3400 was on me to get the glycol out, I WAS GOING ELSEWHERE to get a flush done. ONE complete oil flush, not multiple attempts with pan drops. If the torque converter holds glycol contamination, it will contaminate the new oil installed with just a pan drop.

Is that the best bang for your buck? Or is doing one full exchange of fluid the best attack option? The book says “if the oil is contaminated, change the oil and filter.”

Is that saying change it many times or one time?

It doesn’t matter anymore, I’m buying a new transmission tomorrow.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
It doesn’t matter anymore, I’m buying a new transmission tomorrow.
We all learn from our mistakes. Unfortunately, you shouldn't have been put in this position to begin with. Buying a new transmission is smart. I would also try to find a dealer that you can trust. I found two really good dealers, but I have to drive either 2 hours to the north or 2 hours to the west to get there. Both dealers are awesome, and I've gotten to know some of the techs.
Sponsored