Sponsored

Fixed my wandering and pulling to the right issues!!

Pescado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
After my 2.5" lift and 35's went on my JT's wandering was much worse and had a pull to the right. It was really bad to the point it made driving it not as fun as it should be. This is my first Jeep and first truck with a SFA so I thought it was a Jeep thing but it really bugged me how bad it was. After looking into ways to possibly fix it it seemed that half of people said get an adjustable track bar and the other half said adjustable lower control arms. I have a friend that works at Off Road Warehouse and he gave me a really good deal so I said screw it and got both the track bar and lower control arms. I have a Terraflex lift so I went with Terraflex Alpine track bar and LCA's. After installing those and giving it a good alignment holy crap what a difference it made. It was like driving a totally different truck. No wondering, no pulling, the whole front end just feels tighter and I really can't believe how much of a difference it made. I expected to feel a little difference but it made a HUGE difference. This thing drives amazing now!

Jeep Gladiator Fixed my wandering and pulling to the right issues!! track bar.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Fixed my wandering and pulling to the right issues!! LCA's.JPG
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
What were the caster numbers after the alignment?

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Iā€™m glad your rig is driving better but the only difference in those numbers is the toe. Thatā€™s a lot of money to have someone adjust the tierod.

Iā€™m on my phone though so maybe Iā€™m just missing something.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pescado

Pescado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Iā€™m glad your rig is driving better but the only difference in those numbers is the toe. Thatā€™s a lot of money to have someone adjust the tierod.

Iā€™m on my phone though so maybe Iā€™m just missing something.
maybe it was the track bar along with some toe that made a difference. I dont know if any of those numbers reflect a track bar adjustmentā€¦I have a hard time believing it was just toe that made the difference I feel but if it is than that was the best $1000 alignment I ever had šŸ˜†

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Were the before alignment numbers were with the new parts? based on the OPs description it read like the before specs were with the new parts and they just adjusted it from there. My guess is the caster made the most difference.

NewGladdyOWNR

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
MRI Technologist
With your 2.5" lift, I'm curious to see what your front pinion angle looks like with the ability to have that much caster. I'm trying to find the right balance between my front pinion angle and caster, but when I get my pinion angle correct, it gives me negative caster, which results in an awful driving experience.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
The big takeaway here is the Solid Axle does not have inherent wander and pull. Its one of those myths that just wont die.

I do wonder if the bolts may have been loose and in the process of installing the terraflex parts that was corrected.

Wet Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
The "before" measurements were likely taken after the new parts were installed, so the caster numbers were probably lower before the new control arms, plus centering up the axle with the new adjustable track bar. Those two things plus getting the toe set right would def make a lot of difference.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pescado

Pescado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Were the before alignment numbers were with the new parts? based on the OPs description it read like the before specs were with the new parts and they just adjusted it from there. My guess is the caster made the most difference.
Good point. The before numbers had to be with the new parts, they wouldn't get the truck all set up on the alignment rack just to take before #'s with the old parts.

With your 2.5" lift, I'm curious to see what your front pinion angle looks like with the ability to have that much caster. I'm trying to find the right balance between my front pinion angle and caster, but when I get my pinion angle correct, it gives me negative caster, which results in an awful driving experience.
I am not sure. All this is a rabbit hole I didn't want to go down but I guess it's too late.

Reactions: Mac

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Pinion angle should be less of a consideration than caster angle on Jeeps with a CV drive shaft. Prior references to pinion angle over caster angle were from TJ Mopar manuals. Those had 2 u-joints in the front driveshaft.

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
With the CAD in front, the only time the front DS will spin is in 4x4 mode. So set the caster as needed.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
The pinion and caster are 6*'s off so if he's at 5.5 or so then his pinion angle will be close to 0 vice versa
Sponsored