Ford Maverick

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
How did Ford blow it so bad on these? Other companies have successfully built and sold vehicles during the pandemic, what made Ford drop the ball so bad in making enough of these?

Did they not realize a small, dirt cheap truck with great economy would have white hot demand?
Sponsored

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
People seem pretty happy with them. Ford though gotta be bummed they don’t have more to sell. On an aside I keep seeing those new Rivian electric trucks… looks like a Maveick and iPhone crossed 😝

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
How did Ford blow it so bad on these? Other companies have successfully built and sold vehicles during the pandemic, what made Ford drop the ball so bad in making enough of these?

Did they not realize a small, dirt cheap truck with great economy would have white hot demand?
  • Factory retooling for a brand new model (Hermosillo Assembly Plant in Mexico)
  • Taking 100,000 orders because people were willing to do so
  • Chip shortage
  • Supply chain issues for non-chip parts as well
  • Sharing parts (and assembly line) with popular Bronco Sport
  • Lower staffed dealers and factories (during and post pandemic)
  • Low price, very high demand
  • Multiple awards; high exposure rate
No company is immune to the challenges during the pandemic and Ford certainly is one of the harder hit companies. While companies like Toyota were able to somewhat continue selling Camrys, Corollas, and RAV4s, Ford has gone through a renaissance in pivoting away from cars and relying on trucks and SUVs. It's ramping up a new product line and the Maverick couldn't have been released at a worse time (or at a better time, depending on your perspective).

OP
OP
Orange01z28

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
People seem pretty happy with them. Ford though gotta be bummed they don’t have more to sell. On an aside I keep seeing those new Rivian electric trucks… looks like a Maveick and iPhone crossed 😝
If I can get a super-base at actual cost i'm going to order one as a DD

Sponsored

OP
OP
Orange01z28

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
My grandma drove a Maverick back in the early ‘70s. Are we talking about the same thing here?

Seriously, for what is is intended to do, Ford did it nice. An associate of mine bought one. He is a sales guy and on the road a LOT. Nothing but good things to say about it. (And….my grandma really did drive one. A 4 door with a 302 V8).

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
My grandma drove a Maverick back in the early ‘70s. Are we talking about the same thing here?

Seriously, for what is is intended to do, Ford did it nice. An associate of mine bought one. He is a sales guy and on the road a LOT. Nothing but good things to say about it. (And….my grandma really did drive one. A 4 door with a 302 V8).
My grandpa had one too. His was hotrodded though, with a 351 Cleveland. He had that and a Mercury Comet with a Windsor (same 302 as in the stock Maverick, I believe).

My cousins got those. I was jealous. My other cousin got a Chevy C10. He gave me the VW beetle.

But, hey, mine still works. Theirs don't.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

LOL! My grandma too … white grabber with the red and blue sport trim package. Quite the hot rodding grandma!

Bananaman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green Sport S JTRD
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Huh. Just saw a car carrier full of white one's a few days ago in Iowa.
Was curious about them as I hadn't heard about 'em.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

Buddy of mine in high school had a 2 door with a built Boss 302 in it. His dad had some DEEP pockets.

I've only seen one Maverick truck in the wild. That was a couple of weeks go. Followed it back to the local Ford dealer.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Neighbor has one of the New Mavericks and is loving it for his DD and small truck needs

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Covid supply chain issues aside, Ford screwed the pooch on the Maverick and ability to deliver for demand. It also does not help the same factory that builds the Maverick is also building the Bronco Sport based on the same platform architecture.

The only Maverick model I would entertain is the Hybrid version and they knee capped selling them to prioritize battery production for their Mustang Mach E and Ford Lightning EV models.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
pretty much can't find Mavericks or Rangers for sale in my city, Ford lots are ghost towns for trucks

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
pretty much can't find Mavericks or Rangers for sale in my city, Ford lots are ghost towns for trucks
Most of the trucks Ford built are sitting in some giant parking lots with no ECU's in them.
Sponsored