Sponsored

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
LOL ... I think this is more psychosomatic! Modern car electronics just dont work like this!

But hay, if it worked for you ... (checking its not 1st April)
IF the steering issue stems from a poor calibration and IF the reset trick forces a recalibration, it could absolutely work like this.

Keyword: IF.

I’m just hypothesizing based on the context and the recommends steps.
Sponsored

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I figured what the hell and tried it. Can't say I noticed a difference.

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I figured what the hell and tried it. Can't say I noticed a difference.
But did you have loose steering issue prior to trying it? Confirmed by comparing to a JT without the issue?

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
But did you have loose steering issue prior to trying it? Confirmed by comparing to a JT without the issue?
It's loose with a dead zone but don't have another JT to compare it to.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Is this simply achieving the same as the tsb recommended charging of the steering damper with the left to right and back? Would work with or without pulling the fuse if this is possibly why people are seeing results.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
We invented steering the moment after the wheel was discovered.

I cannot believe in 2020 we have a steering issue.

Jeep added power steering in '65.

https://www.jeep.com/history/1960s.html

A “SUPER-CUSTOM” WAGONEER

In 1965, the Jeep® Brand introduced the refined Super Wagoneer–a true luxury 4x4. Also known as the “Super Custom,” the upscale Wagoneer was designed for the prestige buyer who desired rugged versatility with sedan comfort. It featured a single-speed transfer case for all-weather capability.

Super Wagoneer sported many premium features including: air conditioning, power tailgate, power brakes, power steering, seven-position tilt steering wheel, tinted windows, three-tone body striping, vinyl roof, padded vinyl roof with chrome roof-rack, full wheel hubcaps, white-walled tires, powerful 327-cubic inch “Vigilante” four-barrel V8 engine (270 hp) with console-shifted TH400 “Turbo Hydra-Matic” automatic transmission–all standard.

TheGrayRider

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2005 TJ Unlimited 2018 Subaru Crosstrek
I followed the steps and the dead zone is gone and instead of 3-3.5” of play in the steering wheel at 60mph, it is now about 1-1.5” @ 60mph

at slow speed ~ 15-20mph the steering is tight

my wife drove the truck and for the first time she wasn’t scared to drive the truck

I’m going to check the steering gear bolts for proper torque tomorrow

This made a positive difference and tightened the steering up which is what I wanted to happen

Benny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2008 JK, 2020 Gladiator
No difference for me that I can tell. Was really hoping this would do it even though I didn't have high hopes. Maybe after a few days my opinion will change. Very windy today so maybe not a good day to test it out...

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I mean I fixed mine in 2 simple steps... Just hit down, up, left, left, A, right, down. This gets you to the secret menu. Followed this by hitting A, B, A, C, A, B, B. My truck yelled get over here & everything was much improved.

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
The fuse thing didnt work for me but this did. I am finally happy with my steering after adjusting the box.

Sponsored

TheGrayRider

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2005 TJ Unlimited 2018 Subaru Crosstrek
checking the torque on the 4 bolts ... maybe I should say “lack of torque”... I found that 3 of 4 were snug. I torqued all 4 bolts to 100 ft/lbs. After a test drive I am now happy with the steering and soon I will retorque with Locktite. It now drives like it did before I bought it.

this may not be your issue or fix but I’m glad I pulled the fuse and torqued the bolts

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
So rebooting your computer
What has pulling a fuse got to do with rebooting a computer? The computers in cars have backup batteries to hold their information much like the BIOS on a PC. Otherwise every-time you disconnected the battery, you would need to get the computer re-flashed!

Keyword: IF
IF ... IF my granny had balls she'd be my granddad!

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
This reset thing plays to people who grew up with computers. Thinking resetting it was a valid troubleshooting step. The only reason it has a feeling of validity.

But it's about as helpful as the dealer replacing sloppy steering boxes with a different sloppy steering box.

Last edited:

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
What has pulling a fuse got to do with rebooting a computer? The computers in cars have backup batteries to hold their information much like the BIOS on a PC. Otherwise every-time you disconnected the battery, you would need to get the computer re-flashed!

IF ... IF my granny had balls she'd be my granddad!
And rebooting a pc never fixed anything either. Ok. Clearing a cache is useless. Got it.

The back up "batteries" in some modules are capacitors. Touching the positive and negative terminals together discharges them and clears the memory if it's corrupt.
Sponsored