Sponsored

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
And rebooting a pc never fixed anything either. Ok. Clearing a cache is useless. Got it.

The back up "batteries" in some modules are capacitors. Touching the positive and negative terminals together discharges them and clears the memory if it's corrupt.
This. On my Honda the auto high beams, auto wipers, and fog lights weren't working and some options weren't showing on the radio when I got it. (Botched pre-delivery inspection?). Turned out to be fairly common. The internet fix: unhook the battery for 5 minutes to force the modules relearn the car. The official Honda fix that came out: Pull a fuse, wait a few minutes, and reinstall
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
This. On my Honda the auto high beams, auto wipers, and fog lights weren't working and some options weren't showing on the radio when I got it. (Botched pre-delivery inspection?). Turned out to be fairly common. The internet fix: unhook the battery for 5 minutes to force the modules relearn the car. The official Honda fix that came out: Pull a fuse, wait a few minutes, and reinstall
Everything you listed was an electrical problem. That may warrant a fuse pull to reset the modules. And actually work.

The issue here is mechanical. Steering in our trucks is hydraulic. A fuse pull isn't directly related to anything we are troubleshooting. I wish it was, but the only thing that works is adjusting the steering box.

I have every part you can throw at the steering system; however, the fix was tightening the box to a tighter tolerance.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Everything you listed was an electrical problem. That may warrant a fuse pull to reset the modules. And actually work.

The issue here is mechanical. Steering in our trucks is hydraulic. A fuse pull isn't directly related to anything we are troubleshooting. I wish it was, but the only thing that works is adjusting the steering box.

I have every part you can throw at the steering system; however, the fix was tightening the box to a tighter tolerance.
Isn’t the power steering electric? Couldn’t there be some logic tied to the steering assist?

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland

It's a hydraulic steering system with a variable electronic pump. Will it remove play from physical lash in a steering box? Absolutely not, but changing some of the behavior of the how and when it varies assist will make it feel different. Did I think it would help? Not really, but it was worth the almost zero risk and 5 minutes of my time.

Bob502000

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Some JL owners have reported that a fuse pull (and reinsert) technique may help cure some steering issues such as dead spot, loose steering, pulling, etc.

Link to original post at JL Wrangler Forums: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1132084

Here are the steps to take:

Updated Fuse Technique

Some have reported this fixed a few different steering issues such as the dead spot, loose steering, pulling, etc.

1. With the JL off, remove F34 power steering fuse.

2. Start the JL, notice no power steering by turning the steering wheel and dash message error appears. Do not drive it.

3. Turn off engine. Open driver door and close it so it completely turns off all dash lights. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes so all electronics fully discharge.

4. Reinsert F34 fuse, start engine, immediately turn steering wheel full left, full right, turn to center, turn engine off. Restart and take for a test drive.

Give the technique a try and let us know if it worked for you.
I had some problems when out 4 wheeling and at a steep downward angle. I noticed that the pump fluid was a little low so I slightly overfilled it and that seemed to solve the problems. I also took the after market steering stabilizer back off and put the stock mopar one back on and the steering is easier now. Might try a fox stabilizer some day but we are good now.

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
The issue here is mechanical. Steering in our trucks is hydraulic. A fuse pull isn't directly related to anything we are troubleshooting.
Then post a picture of you power steering pump pulley.

You have 3 modules in play here. The Electric Hydraulic Power Steering Module, the Body Control Module and the Steering Column Control Module. All communicate over the Can (C I believe) bus and all can effect your steering. No, resetting them won't correct a mechanical problem but they all can possibly have a negative effect on your steering and benefit by being reset under certain circumstances.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone that has actually looked under the hood of their GLADIATOR raise your hand

2 hands if you know why the alternator is installed backwards
/me raises just 1 hand

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
Everyone that has actually looked under the hood of their GLADIATOR raise your hand

Raising 1 purely out of curiosity
Trying to figure out what I’m capable of with out ruining the truck lol! So tell us why backwards please!

Sponsored

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland

2 hands. The normal mounting location on the Pentastar places it too low to have met the engineers' goals on the Wranger for water fording. It's been in that location since the Pentastar was put in the JK and kept it there for the JL/JT.

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude

:handsinair: :handsinair:

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
Will it remove play from physical lash in a steering box? Absolutely not...
No, resetting them won't correct a mechanical problem...
Raise your hand if knew there was a bolt on top your steering box and adjusting it fixes the problem?

Two hands if you did this on your jk and tj.

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
Raise your hand if knew there was a bolt on top your steering box and adjusting it fixes the problem?

Two hands if you did this on your jk and tj.
:handsinair: :handsinair:
Sponsored