First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
At least it's an easy fix, shouldn't take more than an hour or so to get everything squared away!
Except that pulling the axles back in line will throw everything else off until properly adjusted again. Getting the axles centered is definitely the first step, and everything else should be able to be done with a tape measure...in theory.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Quick question. Each turn on the adjustable track bar equals how much in length change difference

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question. Each turn on the adjustable track bar equals how much in length change difference
That's the trial & error tape-measure part Renegade was talking about. It's not going to be such a quick and simple fix as that. I'd start with centering 1 axle (probably the rear, because it las less moving parts), then measure and adjust from there to center the front.

Then, when all is properly aligned, you will have to have another front-end alignment done to re-correct everything on the steering system.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
When you lift a Jeep, the track bar pulls the front axle to the left. To fix it, you use an adjustable track bar and adjust it slightly longer than stock. This pulls the drag link to the right, so you lengthen it to recenter the steering wheel. Sometimes the stabilizer then pushes the drag link towards the right when driving resulting in a pull to the right. If that works, get an adjustable stabilizer. I prefer Falcon.
I quoted my own post above as this is the problem with attempting to troubleshoot on the Internet vs. in person.

When you said everything was properly installed and aligned including track bars, we base our suggestions on the facts you provide. Frankly, when you install a lift, the first thing you then do is recenter the axles, then adjust the drag link to center the steering wheel. Now you can have it aligned and make the final precise adjustment to center the steering wheel.

For those of you blaming the alignment shop, most won't check axle center (particularly these days). In fact, if they even check thrust angle they will try adjusting it using the adjustable control arms (remember, stock the control arms and track bars are not adjustable).

Anyway, glad you figured it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I quoted my own post above as this is the problem with attempting to troubleshoot on the Internet vs. in person.

When you said everything was properly installed and aligned including track bars, we base our suggestions on the facts you provide. Frankly, when you install a lift, the first thing you then do is recenter the axles, then adjust the drag link to center the steering wheel. Now you can have it aligned and make the final precise adjustment to center the steering wheel.

For those of you blaming the alignment shop, most won't check axle center (particularly these days). In fact, if they even check thrust angle they will try adjusting it using the adjustable control arms (remember, stock the control arms and track bars are not adjustable).

Anyway, glad you figured it out.

I appreciate the help. I’m glad everyone was cool and supportive. We did the work today and got that rear axle as centered as possible. I’ll update tomorrow if it solved the issue. As frustrating as this was, I did enjoy learning how to measure and some info I didn’t know.

Im assuming, if we only moved the rear axle about .75 of an inch to the driver, that we do not need to re do front end alignment.....If its tracking straight.

REDBEAST

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR
Occupation
Retired
I agree however three reputable shops state they are all correct. I want to say caster was 5 and 5.2.

Does not pull when I break hard.
I have over 25 years of frame straightening and suspension alignment experience. You cannot make any appreciable degree change in the the caster setting between sides on a solid axle front suspension. Chances are, from what I read regarding actual settings after lift install, everything looks good. Toe cannot make one pull. It can only make one wander and wear tires. Camber settings on a Jeep axle would be difficult to change but it could cause a pull if done incorrectly. I would be more inclined to think there might be a tracking problem with the rear axle not in line with the front. Very easy to make this mistake when installing different control arms on the rear. Just my nickel's worth.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I didn't see any mention of brakes. Every time I've had a pull issue over the last 40 years, it resulted from a brake issue.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Jolly’s Jp

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon LE
I don’t know if it has been mentioned or not...did you torque everything with the full weight of the vehicle on the suspension?

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Yes we did. Sadly centering the rear axle didn’t solve the problem. Damn

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
If I understand correctly- the problem still persisted after the last post? Any update on how you finally resolved the complications?

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I took it to another shop far away that specializes in suspensions. They revised all the control arms and it’s better. It’s also a mix of looseness in the box which is at dealer getting replaced. My steering box was so loose that it wander....
Sponsored