TxSmitty

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How about he buys a Ranger and we just let this thread die. Figure 10+ pages is more than enough.
Pfft... :bandit:
Dude asks why he shouldn't buy a Ranger on a Gladiator forum and you want to let this thread die?
:angry:1000 pages of the Gladiator army descend upon you!!!!

I don't care if he does go and buy a ranger. Then we will turn this thread into why he should have not bought a ranger.

mep4wd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Consultant, Retired
Ask yourself these questions about how much confidence you have in it's capability:

Do I have enough confidence in Ford to take a STOCK tremor on Hells Revenge (not hells gate, escalator, or the other optional crazies) just the basic circuit?
Do I have enough confidence in ford to take it on Kane Creek Canyon and go up Hamburger hill?

I just did both those trails 10 days ago with a stock Gladiator Rubicon. (Stock 33 inch tires/no lift). Yes I had help from friends and yes some of the perimeters of the jeep got scratched, but absolutely no body damage. I got winched a couple of times, but I'm willing to bet that if I was a more experienced driver, better at line choice and tire placement, that wouldn't have happened.

How many Ford trucks did I see on Hells Revenge? ZERO.
How many Ford trucks did I see on Kane Creek Canyon, Hamburger Hill? ZERO.

At the end of the day you have to decide whether to buy a truck that talks the talk or a truck that walks the walk?

tumbes2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
It looks like a basic fleet truck with a lift and aggressive tires… obviously subjective but there is nothing “cool” looking about the Ranger even in the Tremor trim.

The Toyota Tacoma has more personality than the Ranger and I see them in hoards every day.
Ranger is probably has the worst exterior looks in class.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
You and I test drive a lot of the same trucks - a list that doesn’t make sense to other people - but I get it. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that you can get a manual transmission Tacoma with a 6 foot bed (I did), but not with lockers (you have to buy a Sport). I think you made the right choice getting the Gladiator!
Thanks - I should have been more clear. As far as I can tell there is no Tacoma Double Cab (full 4 doors) with a 6ft bed and manual transmission offered in the 2018+ model years. If that had been possible I may not ever have waited long enough for the JT. I know that you can get MTs with the Access Cab in a 6ft bed but I needed the full 4 doors and full rear seat. If you have other info I'm curious. Thanks for the tantalizing thought though!

Sponsored

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
Of all the off road ready mid-size trucks the Ranger is the most meh of all of them.

Enjoy.

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Edit: Let's get the obvious out of the way, I don't need a front locker. I off-road probably more than 95% of the people here who don't go to off-road parks and I've needed a front locker a total of 0 times. If a road is even slightly engineered for actual vehicular use, our trucks are stupid capable and the front locker is a pretty damn expensive thing to not really ever need. Even if you're in those off-road parks, if

Well if you've never had need of a front locker and you're looking for engineered roads you should get the ranger,. I've taken my gladiator out two maybe three times on mining exploration roads in Utah. No engineering thrre, and have used the front locker each time, but thats me, I have always, almost always, tried to baby my jeeps, I have to do the repairs, always been my daily driver and I've always, until lately, had to scrabble for jeep money. When I explore forest roads then youre right, the roads are typically better and I seldom use the front end. If that's your off pavement fun that you seem to get to enjoy frequently is at that level then enjoy your ranger, im not familiar with the tremor package.

BuckSawLilandtheGoose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I used to know exactly which truck I wanted, then a year passed and Ford's decent offering took a front seat with the Tremor. I know it's not a Raptor but I'm also not too keen on spending $70,000 for the smallest class of truck you can buy in the US. (also it doesn't exactly exist yet)

I love everything about the Tremor, it's a lot of what I would do aftermarket + it has those damn cool aux switches and angry but properly subdued accents (without gfx package obviously).

I'm feeling like right now I spend $45,000 on a decked out Ranger Tremor and make myself as happy as if I had a Gladiator, but $20,000 richer (over similarly equipped JTR) without feeling like I'm rolling around in an unfinished symphony constantly wanting to upgrade.

For some reason I look at the Tremor as a complete, small, perfect little truck and a Gladiator as a blank canvas. I know some people here gotta feel the same way even if it's illogical.

So, what are my reasons for wanting a JTR over a Ranger Tremor? I'm having a hard time making $20,000 price difference make sense.

Edit: Let's get the obvious out of the way, I don't need a front locker. I off-road probably more than 95% of the people here who don't go to off-road parks and I've needed a front locker a total of 0 times. If a road is even slightly engineered for actual vehicular use, our trucks are stupid capable and the front locker is a pretty damn expensive thing to not really ever need. Even if you're in those off-road parks, if we're honest.
Just the name alone should tell you. Tremor equals scared and sissy like. Gladiator equals badass, strong not a p****. They may as well have called it the Ford Karen....

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Thanks - I should have been more clear. As far as I can tell there is no Tacoma Double Cab (full 4 doors) with a 6ft bed and manual transmission offered in the 2018+ model years. If that had been possible I may not ever have waited long enough for the JT. I know that you can get MTs with the Access Cab in a 6ft bed but I needed the full 4 doors and full rear seat. If you have other info I'm curious. Thanks for the tantalizing thought though!
WARNING, THREAD-JACKING FOLLOWS: No other info - sorry! You are 100% correct in your description (except 3rd Gen Tacomas began in 2017). I got a 2017 manual transmission, Access Cab, 6-foot bed, but it was only available in the Sport (no rear locker). I'm really hoping that Jeep makes an access cab 6-foot bed Gladiator. I've also been hoping that the reported 3.0 turbo-charged inline six-cylinder gas engine was going to show up, but there has been no mention of that since 2019. Rumored to make similar power to the 5.7 Hemi, and to be used in multiple FCA vehicles. Here is where the rumors originated:

https://www.allpar.com/threads/gme-inline-six-the-mopar-“tornado”.229894/

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/12/fiat-chrysler-patent-turbo-inline-six-engine/

Sponsored

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
Had to edit due to brain fart:
SPEEEEEED!!
So after page 3, I jumped ahead to comment. So if this has been said, please forgive.
I have driven every light duty truck on the market save 2, the Jeep, and GMC.
After looking at the Jeep Gladiator, I went to see the GMC. I looked at both full sized, and light duty.
Full sized, wayyyy over priced.
Light duty.... All I can say is this: If I wanted a woman with big hips, this was it.
Jeep: Hells Yeah!!

Maybe you should go to an accommodating dealership, and ask to drive one with the doors and top off. Once you do, there will be no turning back. Everyone has offered their 2 Cents, and all opinions have been point-on.
Their are a multitude of reasons anyone chooses one vehicle over another, and no one reason is wrong.

Do you, do it well, and enjoy the experience of owning a Jeep.

This is a non-paid promotional advertisement for my First Jeep EVER!
(More to come?)

OP
OP

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape, 2008 VW GTI
I had a feeling if I stopped responding the stupid would continue and people would continue to make ignorant BS flames and not really actually read anything.

I started the thread to learn about people who knew both vehicles, I got what I wanted pretty quickly. But what I got faster was "Wow, this community and the people in it are dicks."

Top recap, I was ready to buy a Gladiator, liked the Tremor and saw some good reviews, still wanted to buy the Gladiator, came here for opinions on that decision and then got flamed relentlessly regardless of the contents of what I was saying.

Carry on dicks. You guys really working for MOPAR pushing Gladiators, guy comes in wanting to buy, leaves not wanting to be associated with other owners of the vehicle. Gods work fellas.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Carry on dicks. You guys really working for MOPAR pushing Gladiators, guy comes in wanting to buy, leaves not wanting to be associated with other owners of the vehicle. Gods work fellas.
It's no skin off our back if you buy a Glad or not. You asked for reasons not to go with a Tremor, reasons were given, and you fervently argued back against anyone that gave a viewpoint (even those that were considerate of your original statements). You expect us to feel bad for you now that we stood our ground?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.