Sponsored

Hummer Electric Pickup first look. Are we missing an electric Gladiator?

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Resale value also has to accounted for. If 2 otherwise identical vehicles are compared and the electric vehicle has less resale value, the loss of value has to be applied when comparing cost. (I am totally speculating that the electric vehicle might have greater depreciation due to the fear of needing expensive EV repair/replace items which are not under warranty.)
A two year old 130k Tesla S will have an asking price of around 80- 90k and most of these are lease turn ins.
Sponsored

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I really don't understand the appeal of these EVs. The range is limited. The number of charging stations is extremely limited. The ability to haul/tow/go offroad is also limited. What's the point?

What do you do if you're in a traffic jamb on the interstate for hours? There are gas stations every few miles and zero charging stations. What do you do when it breaks down on vacation and there's nobody around who can work on it? TFL recently found out the hard way that you can't find anyone qualified to work on them. I just don't get it.

If your only trips are in town to get groceries or take the kids to soccer practice, OK, maybe. But in terms of the average driver I don't see how on earth it would work.

And I won't even get into the negative environmental impact and how if you run the numbers you'll find that it takes up to 8 years just to break even on emissions because simply manufacturing EVs is one of the dirtiest activities mankind has ever come up with.
This is all true. Here in Cali. where most EV cars are registered and where most charging stations are located it`s a pain using an EV for long distance travel even when you have everything planned, i have lost hours and days waiting for and getting a charge, it really is an undue stress.

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
No way would I want a pure EV Gladiator here in Utah. There are no power stations, let alone fuel stations in the remote west deserts of Utah and Nevada. Additionally, I'd not want to haul a generator plus the necessary fuel for said generator around with me. Until they figure that out, EV trucks/Jeeps are just for mall-crawling and not for actual overlanding.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
This is all true. Here in Cali. where most EV cars are registered and where most charging stations are located it`s a pain using an EV for long distance travel even when you have everything planned, i have lost hours and days waiting for and getting a charge, it really is an undue stress.
Hours and days? How does that happen. I do not live in a populated area and you can't swing a cat without running into a charging station.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Whats your experience with an all EV car?? Why is it that someone with zero experience posts what they think as fact?? Spend two hours on the 405 in stop and go then tell me how much range is left for a full performance car before a charge is needed, there are several ways to calculate range before charging is necessary not just recommended. The car will turn off some functions deemed not necessary to extend range, it`s no fun limping into a charging station.
I'm sure you're running ac on full blast there, too. My experience is with a Volt which is a plugin, if you don't run the a/c or heat it doesn't really lose range in stop and go. Not fun on hot or cold days, but in the context of a jeep I don't often use climate control off road as I don't have a top on it. In the volt an easy way to extend the range in cold is to run the seat heaters instead of the climate control as they use a lot less power. In summer, well open the windows but yeah, if it's 100 degrees out you lose range from the a/c.

Sponsored

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
I don't want my train powered by diesel. It can spill, you can't carry it with your hands, someone might drink it, you can't just dig it out of the ground, you need a pump to move it, you have to put in in a sealed container, diesel motors are more complicated, they cost more....

Coal and steam is all we need.

And before that all we needed was the horse.

Silly that we still burn shit for energy.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Because of battery technology, there are some people that believe that battery cars are only a partial answer.... There is a group that believes that Hydrogen might be part of the end solution.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hours and days? How does that happen. I do not live in a populated area and you can't swing a cat without running into a charging station.
Easy, stations are full then add the charging time. Tesla is promising more but they have been saying that for years.

Sponsored

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm sure you're running ac on full blast there, too. My experience is with a Volt which is a plugin, if you don't run the a/c or heat it doesn't really lose range in stop and go. Not fun on hot or cold days, but in the context of a jeep I don't often use climate control off road as I don't have a top on it. In the volt an easy way to extend the range in cold is to run the seat heaters instead of the climate control as they use a lot less power. In summer, well open the windows but yeah, if it's 100 degrees out you lose range from the a/c.
Yes the Tesla does lose range.

I`m just pointing out what some might not take into account. There are many Tesla owners in my area and over half have told me this is their last. Not because of the car per say but because of the added planning most people just want to gas and go.

Coyotesong

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Not at all interested in an electric vehicle due to environmental impact of manufacturing and disposing of the batteries. I certainly wouldn't want to be 8 hrs out on a trail and need a charge. Many runs here are 12hr days.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Electric cars are really cool but being a Tesla owner for the last decade there is one thing always on your mind your next charge. Driving on trips on more than one occasion i`ve had to wait several hours just to get plugged in then wait several hours for a full charge, it`s a dynamic that has to be factored in while traveling in an electric car. Second, using for example air conditioning, radio and other electrical devices cuts into the advertised mileage range of the car. Third, charging at home one better have solar panels, if you use the car daily there will be a big jump in the electric bill, every Tesla owner i know has installed solar panels. All of the above is from experience, i have owned five Teslas in the last ten years and will continue to do so, they are great you just have to know what your getting into there is no free ride.

. My model 3 performance charges at level three. 10% to 90% in about 40 minutes BUT it’s gotta full tank charged off my roof every day so I save a ton of time overall

it will also break your neck clean off with a good blip of the throttle from zero or at 75mph.

I am order number 29000 for the Cybertruck but I’m still getting a diesel gladiator in a addition

A747F989-BC23-4F7C-BEFE-A26EABB04CFB.jpeg
Sponsored