Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I like straight 6 engines, and AMC made great straight 6s, I have always thought it made the front end unnecessarily long, when the 232 was put in the cj5, it resulted in a longer front end that stayed through to the tj. I hope that if jeep does use a straight 6, that they don't lengthen the body.
Couldn't they do a transverse engine layout? Honest question - not being a smart ass.

I found an article that summarizes pros and cons of longitudinal vs transverse layouts, but this is the extent of my knowledge on the topic:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/transverse-vs-longitudinal-engines-the-pros-and-cons/
Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
If it can fit the V8 without growing longer it shouldn't take too much more to fit an I6, especially if you do something like a narrow V configuration, like the audi 5cyl, the honda V4 and the VAG W8.
If it’s in a V configuration then it isn’t an I6, it’s a V6, like we have right now.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
If Jeep is putting new engine on gladiators, I can only assume wranglers will get first.
Could be simultaneous..... When will Wednesday get here?? To beat a dead horse:

Jeep Gladiator Interesting fleet of JT test mules in Colorado mountains 6-28-21 PIX ATTACHED 1626098948464

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
If it’s in a V configuration then it isn’t an I6, it’s a V6, like we have right now.
I feel you may have overlooked the point that narrow V engines are much more akin to full inline engines and allow you to play games with packaging. The VAG VR5 and VR6 being a prime example.

With a V angle of 15° you have one block and one head with canted chambers, think of it as a staggered and nested I6 really. Like fit 6 cylinders in the length of 4 compact.

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
High Altitude Testing-- most manufacturers do it in the mountains in CO... pretty straight forward.

Sponsored

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
High Altitude Testing-- most manufacturers do it in the mountains in CO... pretty straight forward.
This was likely already done before the release back in late 2019 as spy photos were captured throughout Colorado. They are testing changes to the platform in someway.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Not in a public way. Why?

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
So the next person who sees them testing. Just follow them find out where they are staying and scope them out late at night. Take some pics pop the hood. Figure it out. Lol.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
I feel you may have overlooked the point that narrow V engines are much more akin to full inline engines and allow you to play games with packaging. The VAG VR5 and VR6 being a prime example.

With a V angle of 15° you have one block and one head with canted chambers, think of it as a staggered and nested I6 really. Like fit 6 cylinders in the length of 4 compact.
I’m very familiar with the VR engines. Those were entirely designed in an attempt to fit more cylinders in a small transverse layout space, and to use fewer parts. They lose the anti-vibration properties of a true I6. There’s no benefit to doing that in an engine compartment that can already fit a V6.

ARCH3R

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Tahoe, 2021 JT Overland (ordered 4/1/2021)
Occupation
Logistics Coordinator
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s something as simple as say a pack of manual transmission Gladiators with a new transmission tune or clutch testing.
I was driving up to Breckenridge during the time this was taken, from Kansas City. I don't think I ever shifted out of 3rd getting through the mountains. Lets hope its this!!
Sponsored