Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
At least within my group, people are buying clean older trucks for cheap to do actual truck stuff with, and buying SUVs for all the family hauling, camping, adventuring, etc.
All my friends drive clean 20 year old trucks that they can fix easily so that their ole ladies can have new (or nearly new) cars & SUVs. I'm the only one with a new truck, or a midsize :LOL:
Sponsored

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I still think the rumors of the Gladiator's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

I can, however, see the trims getting pared down to just the Rubicon, Mojave, Sport and maybe Overland with current models like Willys being an optional trim package on a Sport the same way Max Tow is.

STACHES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Alltrack, '74 X1/9, '71 240z, '66 C10
Occupation
Manufacturing Automation
Always exceptions to "trends". One can say Millennials do this or that, and find many exceptions. Same for any generation, Z on up. There are trends, but not everyone follows along.
Clean older full size trucks sell like crazy here - to young and old. Midsize - not so much. We're mostly a "full size truck" state. Again - trend, not rule. Mostly, not all.
Yeah, I'm talking older full size, which is basically the same size as a Gladiator lol. A 90's f250 single cab with an 8 foot bed is 8" shorter than a Gladiator, and only 4" wider.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I still think the rumors of the Gladiator's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

I can, however, see the trims getting pared down to just the Rubicon, Mojave, Sport and maybe Overland with current models like Willys being an optional trim package on a Sport the same way Max Tow is.
Overland is already gone.

I've done the build and price and Jeep has priced me out of any future JT trades. Can't get the options I really want. A Rubicon like my Overland would be more than 14 over what I paid. It's all I can see with the ability to get body color roof and fender flares, among other things. So this may well be the last Gladiator I ever buy. They've split things and left the middle out, concentrating on lower and higher.

Jeep Gladiator Is the Gladiator at risk for cancellation? 1706642961756

OP
OP

TinMan2020

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales

I've done the build and price and Jeep has priced me out of any future JT trades. Can't get the options I really want. A Rubicon like my Overland would be more than 14 over what I paid. It's all I can see with the ability to get body color roof and fender flares, among other things. So this may well be the last Gladiator I ever buy. They've split things and left the middle out, concentrating on lower and higher.

Jeep Gladiator Is the Gladiator at risk for cancellation? 1706642961756
Now that you’ve done a little research and see where the gladiator may come up short compared to other manufacturer models, do you still think that there’s very little chance that the gladiator will see a possible cancellation in the near future?

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Now that you’ve done a little research and see where the gladiator may come up short compared to other manufacturer models, do you still think that there’s very little chance that the gladiator will see a possible cancellation in the near future?
You’re right. It’s going away, tomorrow. We are all screwed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't do the checking just today, and yeah, I still think it's going to be around for at least another 3 model years, if not 4.
The Overland has been gone for a while now. I think I first noticed it last fall - it's gone.

I'm not necessarily a typical buyer - the High Altitude will appeal to many, (just a bit TOO high-end trim for my use as a tow and plow vehicle) and a lot of others will go back for a Willys or similar.

65 for the HA and then I'd spend probably 3 more on wheels and tires, and bang up that pretty painted front bumper with my stuff, 72 for a Rubicon, half the features I'd never use here in Iowa or my needs.
The others, lower end trims - can't get what I want with them so those are out.
So unless 2025 brings some other changes, some middle-of-the-road versions, then one buyer is out, but I'm just one. Their changes must appeal to some other groups so they are aiming for numbers, not individuals like me.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I'd buy one right now if there was any of these engine opitons: Hurricane, 5.7, 392. I'd prefer a Hurricane with a manual.
I suspect I'm gonna be trading mine in at some point. The gladiator has been fun, but I can't stand this weak engine. 14 mpg isn't helping the cause. This platform, without hyperbole, needs 400 hp/400 tq to keep me. This isn't 2012 anymore, the power benchmark has been set. If the ZR2's 310hp/400tq engine still didn't seem fast, Jeep has to put in some serious work. The ZR2's end gearing ratio could probably be ticked higher and it would OK.

But, we'll see.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The RENIX system was buggy - a Renault/Bendix thing. No shock because Renault introduced only trouble in the 80s.

From a technical and historical standpoint - it's a combination of things.
I had one as my farm truck, it was extremely capable. I towed anhydrous tanks, hay racks, hauled seed and supplies across plowed fields, you name it - including hauling a flatbed with my 36 F20 on it
But the chassis design totally limited it for any real mods or expansions like the cab, that sort of thing. Renault actually had a hand in the engine bay, making it for a V6 originally. (which sucked) and that limited it a lot.

But with the drawbacks, and mother MOPAR taking over in 87, they didn't need two trucks of that size and the Comanche being the lesser capable or expandable, modifiable, it had to go.

I think this sums it up well - this one sentence -
But Iacocca was no dummy, and when AMC was absorbed into Chrysler, everyone knew the Comanche was a goner.

A look back by a Comanche insider -
What went wrong? In hindsight, lots of problems were apparent that could not be foreseen at the time. First, the Comanche was a truck built from a unit body design (no frame) that did not lend itself to the lengthening needed to produce a crew or club cab. That severely limited its marketing appeal when all its competitors added a back seat (however useless for anyone but Santa’s elves).

Second, Dodge introduced their Dakota about the same time and aimed it squarely at the “mid size” market that Jeep had identified and tried to fill. There was an opening there, but maybe it just wasn’t big enough for two major competitors. Other problems were more size related: the bed was not wide enough for a sheet of plywood or drywall to fit flat between the wheelwells, (a major faux pas for the construction market), there was almost no room behind the seat, and despite three place seating in the cab, it was impossible to get three adults in there with the manual transmission. They just wouldn’t fit.

Then there was the intrigue in the boardroom- Chrysler bought AMC for 1.5 Billion in 1987 and there was no way that they were going to source two pickup trucks that competed head to head. The Comanche had no future and no place in the MoPar universe.
------------

A final straw - would it have survived? Maybe another year or two? Maybe not? But the death was certain after 1987. A larger company taking over, a company that already had the Dakota, it was a done deal regardless of sales figures.
The platform was smart - pretty much the same as the Cherokee of that time - saved a lot of engineering and tooling. Sort of like what Jeep has done with Gladiator vs. Wrangler.
But the platform was extremely limiting as well. This is what you get, any style you like as long as it's this one. (well, there was the long box vs. SporTruck short box)

Sponsored

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect

Jeep Gladiator Is the Gladiator at risk for cancellation? 1706648265660
Mojave is unique IMO. There is no SUV equivalent to it in the same price range. Bronco Raptor or F150 Raptor is of course superior but you can buy nearly two JT Mojaves for the price of one Bronco or F150 Raptor.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Jeep is, always has been, and always will be a niche market vehicle.

The craze of the last few years was a hiccup and the Jeep market will settle back into it's normal place.

AMC bought Jeep from Kaiser. Chrysler bought Jeep from AMC. FCA continued Jeep when they bought Chrysler. Stellantis continued Jeep when they bought FCA.

They all see the committed (or should be committed) cult following of the Jeep brand and know there is money to be made.
Sponsored