Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator Bed Outlet.....Wiring question....Thanks for the advice in advance

Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Hello all,

Just doing some searching to add the power outlet option to my sport.. any write ups or how to's around on this?

- OP: Did you figure everything out?
-- if yes, got a parts list? :D
Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I think the general opinion so far is that it is not something you can easily do. Probably not what you want to hear.

Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Yea, i am hoping someone can problem solve it and post a write up :)

Otherwise... over my head.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I'm confused a bit, does the same 400 watt inverter that supplies power to the cab also provide the same power to the bed outlet? It appears so. If that is the case the wiring is probably there from the factory to just buy the outlet for the bed and connect it to the wiring harness. Even so 400 watts isn't much, if any better than a cheap inverter from Harbor Freight.

Best choice IMO, especially for power users is to install a 2000 watt inverter under the rear seat (or front passenger seat like a buddy of mine did) and do a custom outlet in the rear using one of the power outlets of the inverter with a modified extension cord. Might be cheaper than buying the outlet kit from Mopar.

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2006 TJ Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
spend money I dont have on my jeep
The inverter is only 400 watts and is located under the steering column. Get an inverter with the output capacity to meet your needs. Mount it near the battery. Run wire from the inverter back to the outlet. This will provide you a setup that is actually more useful than what comes from the factory.
100% agree with this. And you can get a 1000 watt inverter for about $150. Might even be able to mount it under the steering colum. I ran 1 awg from my main battery to an inverter. I used the bed plug as a 12v outlet. Its all preference, but that 400W inverter won't do a lot for you short charge some small batteries. If that works for you then grab a mopar one if you can. But...i truly think later you'll wish you went bigger. Just my $.02.
And here's a link to what I made in case you're interested. Its been super helpful in this heat. I run fans, drills, whatever.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/portable-power-box.32038/

Sponsored

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2006 TJ Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
spend money I dont have on my jeep
I'm confused a bit, does the same 400 watt inverter that supplies power to the cab also provide the same power to the bed outlet? It appears so. If that is the case the wiring is probably there from the factory to just buy the outlet for the bed and connect it to the wiring harness. Even so 400 watts isn't much, if any better than a cheap inverter from Harbor Freight.

Best choice IMO, especially for power users is to install a 2000 watt inverter under the rear seat (or front passenger seat like a buddy of mine did) and do a custom outlet in the rear using one of the power outlets of the inverter with a modified extension cord. Might be cheaper than buying the outlet kit from Mopar.
Yes they are the same. Theres another post somehwere around here that explains it. You basically have 400W shared between 2 outlets. Not a lot of juice, but it could be plenty depending in what ya need it for.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

This is covered in another thread. Someone ordered the AC outlet and tried to add it. The wiring is not in the harness to connect it to the factory inverter. The AC wiring for the bed outlet is only included if it is ordered as a factory installed option.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
This is covered in another thread. Someone ordered the AC outlet and tried to add it. The wiring is not in the harness to connect it to the factory inverter. The AC wiring for the bed outlet is only included if it is ordered as a factory installed option.
Thanks for the info Mr Bill. I remember now reading that thread but I didn't remember if they shared the inverter.

Shultz01

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ, 2020 JT
Occupation
Sales
If you have an inverter and 110 outlets in the cab then you can add the bed outlet and dash switch. However, the issue is flashing the computer to get it all to work. Jeep says they can't do it unless your VIN already has it. Go figure. This is where we need the help of someone that has the bed outlet and also has a Tazer programmer to do a BCM Read for ZAutomotive (manufacturer of the Tazer programmer). Check out my thread @ https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-bed-outlet-need-your-help.36218/#post-586933

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Anyone know where to get the male connector side for this 68312754AC?

I'd like to just splice an extension cord to a male side connector and connect the mopar bed outlet to that extension cord. I would just plug the extension cord plug into outlet that's behind the center console when I want bed power.

Thanks
Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator Bed Outlet.....Wiring question....Thanks for the advice in advance s-l1600

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Anyone know where to get the male connector side for this 68312754AC?

I'd like to just splice an extension cord to a male side connector and connect the mopar bed outlet to that extension cord. I would just plug the extension cord plug into outlet that's behind the center console when I want bed power.

Thanks
Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator Bed Outlet.....Wiring question....Thanks for the advice in advance s-l1600
Is it me or are those wires looking mighty skinny for the purpose ?

thetruth1983

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
I tear down doors for a living
I gotta admit that I'm a little jelly seeing those F-150s power entire houses down here in Texas. I was using a 4000 watt generator in the back yard when we lost power but it was loud as hell. I have a 2000 watt inverter that I want to install in my gladiator but I don't know if it's better to just buy a portable 2000 inverter generator and keep that in the bed for emergencies.
Sponsored