Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator XMT Light Tactical Vehicle announced by FCA and AM General

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
This Jeep is only showing the potential for what a military spec vehicle MIGHT look like. AM General has probably had about as much time with this Jeep as any of us, that is to say, not a lot of time... But, it's definitely going in the right direction, and they seem to have bigger plans for it in the future. They were fine with me crawling all over the vehicle and taking pictures; however, they drew the line at taking pictures under the vehicle. I was kindly asked to delete those photos... With that said, I'll share what I can, and try to answer some of your questions.

Hi, where is this happening?
AUSA in Washington, DC

IS that running 37's as std or 35's...cant quite make out on image
35's. Also, as somebody pointed out earlier in the thread, the wheels are Hutchinson, and similar to what you would see on other military vehicles.
upload_2019-10-15_18-38-24.png

Take lots of pics of the fro t bumper please..if nothing else I'll have someone build it for me.
Here's some more photos. I can't share mounting and anything under the vehicle.
upload_2019-10-15_18-40-48.png

upload_2019-10-15_18-41-17.png

upload_2019-10-15_18-41-52.png

upload_2019-10-15_18-43-47.png

And the rear bumper as it seems like that is custom as well.

... And underneath to see how much more metal they have protecting this thing.

... And find out if that missile launcher in the background is an option we can get in Gobi? lol
Rear bumper picture would be nice to see. Thank you ahead of time.
Let's see the rear end. Inquire about the mirrors of possible! Thank you thank you!
Here are some photos of the rear bumper and the mirrors. I can't share anything about the mounting or under the vehicle. The breakover angle looks much improved. The spare tire is more exposed, but I'm sure that's something that would be addressed before production.
upload_2019-10-15_18-45-22.png

upload_2019-10-15_18-45-44.png

Somebody spotted the HMMWV mirrors in a previous post. The brackets are custom for this build, but you wouldn't be able to use full doors with them. The large painted bracket covers some of the forward part of the doors.

upload_2019-10-15_18-48-56.png

Those seats and harnesses! :involve::involve:
I can't share photos of the seats, but they are made by a company called Armor Works. They had a booth in the exhibit area, and they said they will have a Gladiator with custom seats at SEMA in a couple of weeks, so check them out there.
https://www.armorworks.com/

Now, for some more intriguing details!

I snapped a photo of the switches where the lockers and sway bar disconnects would normally go, but that's not the most important detail in the photo...
upload_2019-10-15_19-3-7.png

Anybody notice the full-time 4WD on the transfer case shifter...? I didn't spot it when I was sitting inside, but noticed it when I was looking back at this photo. It bolted in fine, but required some software modifications from Jeep.

The winch controller connector was relocated to the driverside area below the windshield A-Pillar.
upload_2019-10-15_19-7-31.png

upload_2019-10-15_19-7-48.png

The tie down rails in the bed are L-Track Aircraft style track with a number of available adapters. Huge bonus over the OEM Trail Rail, there appears to be enough clearance for bed brackets to fit up into the top edges of the bed rail. If you've installed one of the cheaper Colorado Tonneau covers, you'll know what I'm talking about.
upload_2019-10-15_19-12-16.png

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/shop...e-Straps-Hardware/Aircraft-Style-Seat-L-Track

One last tidbit. This Jeep started out as a stock Sport Max Tow, with the wider axles. In a production model, you might see beefier axles similar to what's on a HMMWV, and a matching lug pattern so wheels are interchangeable. The photoshopped photos are probably closer to what a production Military Gladiator would actually look like.

upload_2019-10-15_18-42-53.png

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I really like that bumper. The mirrors are cool too.
img_20191014_145740-jpg.jpg

upload_2019-10-15_19-3-7-png.png

Anybody notice the full-time 4WD on the transfer case shifter...? I didn't spot it when I was sitting inside, but noticed it when I was looking back at this photo. It bolted in fine, but required some software modifications from Jeep.
Is this what they were talking about in the release with 2 different 4wd systems. That perked my radar. lol

Tourenwagen

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
This Jeep is only showing the potential for what a military spec vehicle MIGHT look like. AM General has probably had about as much time with this Jeep as any of us, that is to say, not a lot of time... But, it's definitely going in the right direction, and they seem to have bigger plans for it in the future. They were fine with me crawling all over the vehicle and taking pictures; however, they drew the line at taking pictures under the vehicle. I was kindly asked to delete those photos... With that said, I'll share what I can, and try to answer some of your questions.

AUSA in Washington, DC

35's. Also, as somebody pointed out earlier in the thread, the wheels are Hutchinson, and similar to what you would see on other military vehicles.
upload_2019-10-15_18-38-24.png

Here's some more photos. I can't share mounting and anything under the vehicle.
upload_2019-10-15_18-40-48.png

upload_2019-10-15_18-41-17.png

upload_2019-10-15_18-41-52.png

upload_2019-10-15_18-43-47.png

Here are some photos of the rear bumper and the mirrors. I can't share anything about the mounting or under the vehicle. The breakover angle looks much improved. The spare tire is more exposed, but I'm sure that's something that would be addressed before production.
upload_2019-10-15_18-45-22.png

upload_2019-10-15_18-45-44.png

Somebody spotted the HMMWV mirrors in a previous post. The brackets are custom for this build, but you wouldn't be able to use full doors with them. The large painted bracket covers some of the forward part of the doors.

upload_2019-10-15_18-48-56.png

I can't share photos of the seats, but they are made by a company called Armor Works. They had a booth in the exhibit area, and they said they will have a Gladiator with custom seats at SEMA in a couple of weeks, so check them out there.
https://www.armorworks.com/

Now, for some more intriguing details!

I snapped a photo of the switches where the lockers and sway bar disconnects would normally go, but that's not the most important detail in the photo...
upload_2019-10-15_19-3-7.png

The winch controller connector was relocated to the driverside area below the windshield A-Pillar.
upload_2019-10-15_19-7-31.png

upload_2019-10-15_19-7-48.png

The tie down rails in the bed are L-Track Aircraft style track with a number of available adapters. Huge bonus over the OEM Trail Rail, there appears to be enough clearance for bed brackets to fit up into the top edges of the bed rail. If you've installed one of the cheaper Colorado Tonneau covers, you'll know what I'm talking about.
upload_2019-10-15_19-12-16.png

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/shop...e-Straps-Hardware/Aircraft-Style-Seat-L-Track

One last tidbit. This Jeep started out as a stock Sport Max Tow, with the wider axles. In a production model, you might see beefier axles similar to what's on a HMMWV, and a matching lug pattern so wheels are interchangeable. The photoshopped photos are probably closer to what a production Military Gladiator would actually look like.

upload_2019-10-15_18-42-53.png
Thanks for all the info and pics!!

Sponsored

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I believe that full time 4wd shifter is the same as the optional transfer case on the JL Sahara’s and JT Overland......

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I believe that full time 4wd shifter is the same as the optional transfer case on the JL Sahara’s and JT Overland......
It's available on the JL Sahara and Moab. Not available on any of the Gladiators.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
that antenna placement is way better than stock
isn't that in the same place? i mean for AM/FM, not the 2 huge antennas in the back.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Not meaning to be a naysayer but i’m wondering if this “exercise” is more of a retail endeavor than a true military push....

A couple of things that jump out to me as being totally unrealistic..

1. The doors - half doors are ok but they should at least have ballistic panels on them...

2. The roll cage - i’m having a hard to believing that a fully kitted soldier will be able to easily jump into the truck ...

3. The center console - really?? Just make the seats larger to accommodate a soldier with 40 pounds of gear strapped to him

4. Why not have a mini-gun mount on the rear roll bar?? I have seen SF Razors with them and this would be a perfect application to reach out and touch someone...

Just some random thoughts...

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
isn't that in the same place? i mean for AM/FM, not the 2 huge antennas in the back.
The AM/FM one is in the same spot.
I wa talking about the two huge antennas looking better, bumping up the look

Not meaning to be a naysayer but i’m wondering if this “exercise” is more of a retail endeavor than a true military push....
100% truth, its cheaper to make this than it would cost for one 30 second super bowl add plus this is going to hit 98% of its target audience (people interested in Gladiators)

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

A couple of things that jump out to me as being totally unrealistic..

1. The doors - half doors are ok but they should at least have ballistic panels on them...

2. The roll cage - i’m having a hard to believing that a fully kitted soldier will be able to easily jump into the truck ...

3. The center console - really?? Just make the seats larger to accommodate a soldier with 40 pounds of gear strapped to him

4. Why not have a mini-gun mount on the rear roll bar?? I have seen SF Razors with them and this would be a perfect application to reach out and touch someone...

Just some random thoughts...
Demanding, aren't you? j/k

Guessing this is just a quick rough draft and they'll pimp it out later.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
Ahh just a thought, this as a tactical battle field vehicle or as a administrative fleet vehicle? We have both fleets plus a gsa fleet, just a thought. A lot less expensive to run a administrative vehicle that tactical vehicle in the middle of rush hour. In case your interested all the gsa vehicles are used until factory warranty is expired then auctioned off.
Sponsored