Sponsored

Jeep Wave Program Won't Rotate "Oversized" Tires (35ers)

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Tire and wheel weights vary - I'd bet that some 35s may be 10 to 15 pounds heavier depending on wheel and tire (MTs?? etc.)
Still, there are ways to rotate tires without heavy lifting. I've been doing it for years since starting to have back issues because of my decades of lifting and bending over fenders.

But then some shops may not have the same staff and/or equipment others do, so........... if one refuses, try another.
I agree, i know some folks throw on 40-50 pound rims and 90+ pound tires so mine at 97 are definitely on the light side (by design). I understand why they just make a size claim and move on, because of how wildly it varies, but still, like you mentioned, if you're lifting the tires during the rotation, you're doing it wrong.
Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I agree, i know some folks throw on 40-50 pound rims and 90+ pound tires so mine at 97 are definitely on the light side (by design). I understand why they just make a size claim and move on, because of how wildly it varies, but still, like you mentioned, if you're lifting the tires during the rotation, you're doing it wrong.
I got the same tire/wheel combo as you because of aesthetics, but knowing this make me even happier with the set up! Ha!

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
I mean, honestly, asking somebody else to rotate 100 lbs. of mass times 4 around YOUR Jeep is kind of a dick move. If you have a dealer willing to do that, make sure you thank them and be super polite at all times.
Jeep sells vehicles now with 35s and it's their damn JOB. The dealer is just trying to get out of extra work. Once again, the worst part about owning a jeep is the dealers. Stop trying to defend incompetence.

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
What a joke. Im gonna go apply at mcdonalds then tell them I dont make cheeseburgers.. I worked in a shop for years, if I refused to rotate tires Id have been thrown out. Im sorry you had to deal with that.

That aside, Wave has been useless for me. I tried to use one of my free oil changes, I had to schedule 3 weeks in advance because none of the dealerships around me had appointments any sooner.. when I showed up, they said "Oh just park it here, we will call you when we get started to let you know how much it will be".

Like... no.. youll start right now, I booked this appointment 3 weeks in advance, and it will be free.
Argued with them for about 5 minutes just for fun. Supervisor wouldnt even get up from his desk to come out and address me. The amount of time I wasted on it, I could have changed it myself 3 times over.

Always done my oil changes myself anyways, thats what I get for rolling the dice with the stealership. I found a really good local Jeep shop that I take my rig to when I need something I cant do myself or to get the scheduled maintenance done. OEM`s suck.

Edit: I do agree with what some of the other members said about working smarter, not harder, to avoid injury - totally on board with that, not looking to slam other members of our group, but I do think its BS that they wouldnt rotate OP`s tires.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Deleted member 40439

I mean, honestly, asking somebody else to rotate 100 lbs. of mass times 4 around YOUR Jeep is kind of a dick move. If you have a dealer willing to do that, make sure you thank them and be super polite at all times.
He only wanted the oil changed Dealers make plenty of profit but waste alot of it on b.s. overhead. Yeah I paid 50,000 for it.. rotate the tires...oh. btw PLEASE.

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Jeep sells vehicles now with 35s and it's their damn JOB. The dealer is just trying to get out of extra work. Once again, the worst part about owning a jeep is the dealers. Stop trying to defend incompetence.
Well said...............

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What a joke. Im gonna go apply at mcdonalds then tell them I dont make cheeseburgers.. I worked in a shop for years, if I refused to rotate tires Id have been thrown out. Im sorry you had to deal with that.

That aside, Wave has been useless for me. I tried to use one of my free oil changes, I had to schedule 3 weeks in advance because none of the dealerships around me had appointments any sooner.. when I showed up, they said "Oh just park it here, we will call you when we get started to let you know how much it will be".

Like... no.. youll start right now, I booked this appointment 3 weeks in advance, and it will be free.
Argued with them for about 5 minutes just for fun. Supervisor wouldnt even get up from his desk to come out and address me. The amount of time I wasted on it, I could have changed it myself 3 times over.

Always done my oil changes myself anyways, thats what I get for rolling the dice with the stealership. I found a really good local Jeep shop that I take my rig to when I need something I cant do myself or to get the scheduled maintenance done. OEM`s suck.

Edit: I do agree with what some of the other members said about working smarter, not harder, to avoid injury - totally on board with that, not looking to slam other members of our group, but I do think its BS that they wouldnt rotate OP`s tires.
WTF???? I simply DRIVE UP TO THE DOOR, they open it.

I took my JT in yesterday - was there at 7am, they got it right in. They sent me a video of the guy checking the brake pads, tire tread depth, looking for leaks, etc.

I took my wife's WK2 in today - was there at 7am, they got it right in - well, it was second in line - but they did wave rotation and oil change and even sent me a video of the guy checking things over.

No need to schedule for WAVE stuff. (of course unless you show up at 4pm and expect it right away)
But if you leave it with them first thing or take it in when they open, no problem.

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
Every time I see a thread with all these comments I appreciate my dealership/service guy even more. When i asked about the steering box he just said ok, rear window leaked and he just ordered it. They have always been easy. Hate that some of the people here have to deal with the BS.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
WTF???? I simply DRIVE UP TO THE DOOR, they open it.

I took my JT in yesterday - was there at 7am, they got it right in. They sent me a video of the guy checking the brake pads, tire tread depth, looking for leaks, etc.

I took my wife's WK2 in today - was there at 7am, they got it right in - well, it was second in line - but they did wave rotation and oil change and even sent me a video of the guy checking things over.

No need to schedule for WAVE stuff. (of course unless you show up at 4pm and expect it right away)
But if you leave it with them first thing or take it in when they open, no problem.
Same. But then there are 7 Jeep dealerships within 20 miles. One just a mile from home. So there's not a lineup waiting for the oil change

Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Yeah for real. Picking up a 35" tire and wheel combo is hell on a guy's lower back whether he's healthy or not, especially if the Jeep is up on the rack. I do my own rotations, but I do them in the driveway where I can sit on my butt and use my legs and arms both to hoist the tire a few inches and mount it. Much easier on the body that way.
Try installing tires on a BMW or my Supra. They have lug bolts, not nuts. So when you install the tires there's literally nothing to align the tires to the threaded HOLES on the rotor! Stupid design. They do make a threaded alignment stud you can buy ( huh, kinda like a stud) and install into the rotor temporarily so you can hang and align the tire while you get the rest of the lug bolts installed :headbang::punch: :LOL:

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
Yep, all comes down to the dealer, and my local one sucked the one time I took it to them. The service writer told me that Jeep Wave just got me 50% off the oil change and rotation. I knew that couldn't be right, but whatever, after waiting three damn hours for the service I needed to get back to work so I paid the 50 bucks and went on.

It ate at me so bad though, that I called Jeep Wave customer care about it. They of course confirmed that service writer was full of shit and cut me a refund check for what I paid.

To top it off, the dealership didn't actually rotate the tires.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, all comes down to the dealer, and my local one sucked the one time I took it to them. The service writer told me that Jeep Wave just got me 50% off the oil change and rotation. I knew that couldn't be right, but whatever, after waiting three damn hours for the service I needed to get back to work so I paid the 50 bucks and went on.

It ate at me so bad though, that I called Jeep Wave customer care about it. They of course confirmed that service writer was full of shit and cut me a refund check for what I paid.

To top it off, the dealership didn't actually rotate the tires.
Mine did - I could see the dust on the wheel that had been the spare LOL - pretty obvious they rotated the spare in - plus those colored lines were still on parts of the tread.

Just really gets me - the differences in dealerships. Amazing.

hockeymonkeymark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter
Man I got lucky at my local dealer. They rotated my 37's on method wheels. I didn't expect them too while in for my oil change.

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
OK. First off I ONLY wanted my oil changed and the lady is doing her thing and the guy beside her sees my truck butts in and goes full tilt "NOPE" and says we can't preform the Jeep Wave as you have oversized tires.........

I'm taken back and said I only want the oil changed, so then he changes his defensive stance and said well... OK.

I did later point out that I paid them to $125 to recalibrate the truck for 35's. Plus the Wrangler can now be had with 35's per Recon option.

I get it the tires weigh more but this seems to be at odds with their messaging.
Lousy dealer. Have used 2 of my jeep waves oil and tire rotations at 2 different dealers with no questions asked. Find another place
Sponsored