Not open for further replies.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I am pretty certain that BOTH rails go to the back of the bed - at least that is where I put BOTH my hex inserts.
Both nutserts do go to the tailgate end of the bed, the front doesn't have any similar nutsert holes that would work near the front rail end and the rails don't extend all the way to the front wall (see pic below). The front bed holes are typically used for mounting tonneau cover rails.

MVIMG_20200311_100035.jpg
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
As some have noticed, the instructions are wrong and FWD is actually pointing toward the rear on several of the steps. The hex hole in the front doesn't align with the rail in any way if you did that one and I believe it's there for the factory tonneau.

Another tip for anyone who screws up the soft aluminum rivnuts or gets their truck Line-X'd before installing and doesn't want to (or screws up paint trying to) remove the liner from the hole, you can easily drill it out to 7/16" with a step bit and install a standard 8mm rivnut. The hole on the end of the rail is exactly 8mm so no modification needed. Highly recommend stainless and using a proper rivnut installer if you go this route.

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Any idea how to get more nutserts? I’m picking up the trail rails from a member and will not come with nutserts. No dealer knows the part number.

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
That
Fairly certain it's 6104885AA. It's an M6-1.0 in any case.
That was the dealers “guess”. Haha. No one is too sure. Would anyone see any potential harm by not installing that bolt but doing the others properly?

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I would install the rails with the nutsert bolt, it is a solid mounting point. The hexagon thing reminded me of carriage bolts on Fords that never worked right. For a $275 rail kit, it could have been done better.

LOAD -I had 5 x JK rubicon wheels and 5 x Falken AT's in the back of my JTR yesterday to drop off at the 4x4 shop to get mounted. I put a LOT of pressure on the end of the rail with a big cargo net covering the back. I don't see that as atypical, and having a hard mount is a big plus to my mind.

I already have a nutsert gun kit because of my YJ, but they are inexpensive on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YSK4VBT/

Super fast and easy and something you'll likely use again. My buddy with the '04 GC on 35's turned me on to the utility of nutserts with Jeeps.

That

That was the dealers “guess”. Haha. No one is too sure. Would anyone see any potential harm by not installing that bolt but doing the others properly?

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
Install was a disaster! Even after pre-clearing bed liner material from the holes, I had 2 of the tack welds break loose (against cab and passenger side) and one screw twist off (also against the cab). For what I paid for this kit (and the vehicle while I'm complaining) I'm really disappointed. I love this thing, but this is a chink in the armor. @JeepCares

JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
It w
I would install the rails with the nutsert bolt, it is a solid mounting point. The hexagon thing reminded me of carriage bolts on Fords that never worked right. For a $275 rail kit, it could have been done better.

LOAD -I had 5 x JK rubicon wheels and 5 x Falken AT's in the back of my JTR yesterday to drop off at the 4x4 shop to get mounted. I put a LOT of pressure on the end of the rail with a big cargo net covering the back. I don't see that as atypical, and having a hard mount is a big plus to my mind.

I already have a nutsert gun kit because of my YJ, but they are inexpensive on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YSK4VBT/

Super fast and easy and something you'll likely use again. My buddy with the '04 GC on 35's turned me on to the utility of nutserts with Jeeps.
Quadratec was able to find the part number. Not even the local dealers could do that. I ordered from Quadratec, even though it cost a few bucks more. Atleast this way if they misled me, I’ll get my 25 bucks back.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Install was a disaster! Even after pre-clearing bed liner material from the holes, I had 2 of the tack welds break loose (against cab and passenger side) and one screw twist off (also against the cab). For what I paid for this kit (and the vehicle while I'm complaining) I'm really disappointed. I love this thing, but this is a chink in the armor. @JeepCares
Hi John,
We are sorry to hear your trouble with installing the Mopar Trail Rail Kit to your Jeep. In the future, our team recommends having your dealer assist you in the installation of aftermarket accessories. Let us know if you have any questions by sending us a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
Hi John,
We are sorry to hear your trouble with installing the Mopar Trail Rail Kit to your Jeep. In the future, our team recommends having your dealer assist you in the installation of aftermarket accessories. Let us know if you have any questions by sending us a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares
I think you meant to say something along the lines of.... "Thanks for the feedback. We are aware the Jeep installed bed liners made installation of the Jeep Trail Rail system somewhat challenging. We are working with our design team to ensure that the accessory holes are not plugged up if the Bedliner system option has been chosen from the factory..."

...at least that is something I would go with. Frankly, it is a mistake on Jeep's part. Mine was a pain as well. Adding an accessory that prevents another MOPAR accessary from being installed, per spec, is a mistake. All they had to do was put in a plastic plug when they sprayed it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
So this is too funny...so I typed this response out before scrolling down to read @Godfadr 's response:

Kathryn,

In regards to the response posted in the forum about my recent experience installing the trail rail system in my Gladiator - I can say I'm more impressed with the vehicle than your advice. First, I've owned Jeeps for over 20 years and at the core of "the spirit of Jeep" is the weekend warrior building and customizing their Jeep to make it their own. Otherwise, the aftermarket products industry for Jeeps alone wouldn't be a billion dollar industry. Second, if you're suggesting that an accessory that requires 12 bolts is so labor intensive that the consumer should rely on the dealer, than shame on you! One of my closest friends owns the dealership in Boulder, CO where I purchased the vehicle and I'm still not inclined to ask that he install such a simple item for me.

What your response should have captured is that you have a severe manufacturing process flaw that compromises threaded holes intended to be used for accessories when the factory bedliner is applied. Admitting that doesn't mean I'm going to hold you liable, but don't make me seem incompetent.

I was going to send it in a PM, but decided just to post here.

Then I read his response and realize he and I gleaned the same thing from that response...

Thank you @Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
So this is too funny...so I typed this response out before scrolling down to read @Godfadr 's response:

Kathryn,

In regards to the response posted in the forum about my recent experience installing the trail rail system in my Gladiator - I can say I'm more impressed with the vehicle than your advice. First, I've owned Jeeps for over 20 years and at the core of "the spirit of Jeep" is the weekend warrior building and customizing their Jeep to make it their own. Otherwise, the aftermarket products industry for Jeeps alone wouldn't be a billion dollar industry. Second, if you're suggesting that an accessory that requires 12 bolts is so labor intensive that the consumer should rely on the dealer, than shame on you! One of my closest friends owns the dealership in Boulder, CO where I purchased the vehicle and I'm still not inclined to ask that he install such a simple item for me.

What your response should have captured is that you have a severe manufacturing process flaw that compromises threaded holes intended to be used for accessories when the factory bedliner is applied. Admitting that doesn't mean I'm going to hold you liable, but don't make me seem incompetent.

I was going to send it in a PM, but decided just to post here.

Then I read his response and realize he and I gleaned the same thing from that response...

Thank you @Godfadr
It just sounded like a boilerplate answer. Hell, you don't even need a drill for the install. LOL.

iSED8

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
Occupation
Healthcare
Holy guacamole! I just freed one m6 bolt hole after a 20 minutes. I was taking my time for sure to just try and prevent ruining the nutsert. Required a reamer to clear entryway. A rasper to clear the inside. Running an m6 bolt part way in. I realized an m6 tap would work much better. I was very cautious because I did t want to cross thread and ruin the insert. I got the rest to do still, going for a beverage first.

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Healthcare
Big thanks for starting this thread. I was really worried about jacking up those nutsert, but the bolt/nut/washer combo made it super easy. And thanks to Jeep for not covering those hexagonal holes with my factory liner!

Status
Not open for further replies.