Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Confirmed. Original wheels have zero problems.

Those of you that are having problem, one detail that I have noticed that hasn't been addressed yet, is the valve stem placement. in my case, on all 4 tires, none are setup correctly based on the yellow mark on the tires. And in some cases it is almost 180 degrees off.

At this point I am going to push DT to fix this and re-balance again. if that doesn't work I feel like this requires new tires.
That's not going to cause a vibration, it could just be the difference in the type of tread. Sometimes new tires with different tread patterns, M/T compared to A/T tread will have a vibration. I had a set of BFG KO2S and a set of Yokohama Geolanders that did this for about 1500 miles and then it went away after they started to wear.

Be tough to get a set of new tires unless you can prove their is something for sure wrong with the ones your riding on. They have been mounted so the warranty is dead on them now and is only good for you. Discount can't remove them and sell them with the factory warranty now.
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I did have an issue when DT changed my rims out. I had used hub centric rings for my previous wheels. They left one on and I jacked up my truck and took it off… no more vibrations on my 37’s…
Ps… make sure that they took off those silly lug retainers that they stick on next to the rotor… I’ve seen that make a vibration.

2222D1A9-7C75-4E15-920A-2C82D2269506.jpeg

OP
OP

21WhiteRubi

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I did have an issue when DT changed my rims out. I had used hub centric rings for my previous wheels. They left one on and I jacked up my truck and took it off… no more vibrations on my 37’s…
Ps… make sure that they took off those silly lug retainers that they stick on next to the rotor… I’ve seen that make a vibration.

2222D1A9-7C75-4E15-920A-2C82D2269506.jpeg
The AEV Borahs are hub centric for the JT, so should be no issue there. I have hub centric rings on my LJ though. There are a tight fit and sometimes they would stick inside the wheel. One newer tech called me saying I was missing one when I had them rotated. Asked him if he looked in the back of the wheel? Bingo.

I removed my wheels and tires this weekend, but did not notice any lug retainers on my lugs next to the rotor. I am using a different set of lug nuts, but they are OEM replacements for the JL/JT from CJ Pony Parts:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/lug-nut...r-jl-2018-2021-gladiator-2020-2021/p/WHLLN61/

The Borah wheel is designed to accept the OE lug nuts as well:

https://www.aev-conversions.com/pro...IzEqvu8RnqLPobm1ZJAPArSRKBoCzmMQAvD_BwE#color

But all this is beside the point as I had no vibration with my BFG KM3 in a 315/70/17. I went through and torqued every suspension component this weekend as well to rule that out. All were basically where they needed to be. The front lower and upper control arms needed a slight bit of added torque, but they were close. Man do I hate the 190 ft lbs on the front lower arms, geez.

Dropped the pressure in the tires to 30 psi cold and chalk tested. Still the same vibration from about 22-30 at the worst. But can feel it all the way up to 70, just not near as prominent. I still believe its the tires...off to the off road shop Friday.

Last edited:

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Before you throw more money at it. Have DT tried static balance? I also has the Borah wheels, but with 37s tires. Dynamic balance gave me a nearly 12" strip of weights on all four wheels and vibrates badly anything above 50mph. With static balance performed, it's back to driving with two fingers and smooth.

OP
OP

21WhiteRubi

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Before you throw more money at it. Have DT tried static balance? I also has the Borah wheels, but with 37s tires. Dynamic balance gave me a nearly 12" strip of weights on all four wheels and vibrates badly anything above 50mph. With static balance performed, it's back to driving with two fingers and smooth.
I may have them try that. When I had the wheels off this weekend, I counted at least 4oz on each wheel, stick on weight on the inner part of the wheel, and then three of the wheels had an extra 1/4 to 1/2 oz again on the inner, and then some of them had up to 1oz on the inner lip of the wheel (the clamp on kind of weights).

From what I have read about Nittos, they should not take this much weight to balance I don't think. And none of the tires have the yellow dot matching up with the valve stem, but I don't know if that's really a thing or not.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I may have them try that. When I had the wheels off this weekend, I counted at least 4oz on each wheel, stick on weight on the inner part of the wheel, and then three of the wheels had an extra 1/4 to 1/2 oz again on the inner, and then some of them had up to 1oz on the inner lip of the wheel (the clamp on kind of weights).

From what I have read about Nittos, they should not take this much weight to balance I don't think. And none of the tires have the yellow dot matching up with the valve stem, but I don't know if that's really a thing or not.
It took a good bit of weight to get my Nittos balanced right on my JKU. Can't remember exactly how much but I know it looked like a lot more than I was use to. Sounds like they have put enough weight on yours, I'd definitely give the static Balance a shot and see what happens. Could aslo be a out of round tire too.

jjmstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Jack up the vehicle, hold a piece of metal, plastic or whatever ( clamped onto to something)next to the tread and spin the tire. Watch to see the airspace between the tread and object. I had 40" patagonias that were horrendous and did what I just described. 2 fronts were 3/16" out of round, 1 front was 1/8" out and the other was 1/16" out of round. Gladiator drove like crap. Bought Pro Comp Xtreme 40"s and the gladiator drives smooth now.

Just a thought

SaplingT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction
I'm having the same exact vibration on my 37 inch Ridge Grapplers. I posted in the other thread mentioned above earlier today. The vibration is from 24-29 MPH both up and down in speed like clockwork. The vibration is there in neutral as well through those speed ranges so I don't feel it is drivetrain related. I have tried putting stock wheels on and it all goes away. I don't think it is a balance issue. I honestly think I "FEEL" the tread resonance. It is ever so slightly there at lower speeds and as the speed increases I would guess the tire starts to reshape and you are feeling the sharp angles of the tread at that point. speeds 30 MPH and up it is silky smooth. That is my take of this at this time. I am scheduled for a full alignment on Thursday. I do plan to take the tires by DT to have them replace the silver weights they installed on my black rims. At that time I will recheck for any vibration or balance issues before I decide what to do next.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Had my tires rebalanced by Costco. Had them rotated and balanced at americas tire about 10 days ago, and you could hear them warble. Didn't do a very good job Costco said, and I have to agree, the tires are significantly quieter now. Though my own jiggles maybe still there, the tires arent adding to it.

Ddsmets06

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU and 16 JKU
Been having same problem. Have had them rotated 3 times over the last 8,000 miles. Put wife's brand new Wildpeakes on and no vibration. Had a tire shop road force balance them. Said 1 tire was bad. Talked with Nitto. They talked to tire shop but since tire shop didn't have print out it doesn't matter to them. Nitto said I can send tires to them and they can check them out, but if they are "good" or bad they won't send them back to me. Trying to find another tire shop who can prove that they are bad if they are.

Sponsored

Ddsmets06

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU and 16 JKU
That's what they told me. Will not send back even if I pay shipping. Not sure about if I can find a shop that can prove it with a print out

jjmstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
WOW, guess I'll never look at Nittos for my next tire purchase.
Thanks for the info !!

jjmstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Ok, if they are warrantable then they will replace them......all info is needed
Sponsored