Sponsored

HikerBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCLE Gladiator, ‘91 Wrangler, ‘08 GTI, ‘11 GTI
Got the GCLE back. It’s not a driving on rails kind of feel but it is better. The tech went out with my wife to drive it around town, over an inter coastal bridge at 55 with wind, 65 on a highway then stopped twice to climb under and make adjustments until it was right. After having a knuckle headed service manager not know that OUR part was in and the guy we usually work with came back from Lunch, it all worked out. Glad we did it. Do it now if you haven’t. And if you don’t have one of these wonderful Gladiators yet, wait for the 2021. Motortrend even mentions the steering thing. Thanks to all of you and the Forum. My wife now feels safer driving at highway speeds.
Sponsored

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Got the GCLE back. It’s not a driving on rails kind of feel but it is better. The tech went out with my wife to drive it around town, over an inter coastal bridge at 55 with wind, 65 on a highway then stopped twice to climb under and make adjustments until it was right. After having a knuckle headed service manager not know that OUR part was in and the guy we usually work with came back from Lunch, it all worked out. Glad we did it. Do it now if you haven’t. And if you don’t have one of these wonderful Gladiators yet, wait for the 2021. Motortrend even mentions the steering thing. Thanks to all of you and the Forum. My wife now feels safer driving at highway speeds.
Good review! Well stated.
Thanks

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
@JeepCares: Does anyone know if this is an updated version of the TSB to address customized vehicles? The original TSB I printed off for my dealership did not have this verbiage. Its certainly promising as this guidance describes my situation (Mopar 2" Lift installed & aligned by dealership).

I called both the dealership and FCA Canada Care rep. Service Advisor advised that the case is still with the district service manager while Care Rep hasn't called me back (left voicemail).

I have no issues being approved and waiting for the parts to come in.
The note was added 9/16/2020. I interpret as saying that if you lifted the vehicle and altered the alignment specs to the extent that they are no longer within the factory specs that this bulletin probably won't fix your steering issue.

RedRaptorJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Launch Edition
The note was added 9/16/2020. I interpret as saying that if you lifted the vehicle and altered the alignment specs to the extent that they are no longer within the factory specs that this bulletin probably won't fix your steering issue.
Thanks! Hoping this will be amended to the original TSB document so it provides clarity to other Jeep owners who have a modified suspension within factory specifications.

To be clear, I've always had the wandering steering issue before and after. The lift didn't make it worse or better. The SS did mute it a bit but I'm still having to constantly put input on the highway to correct it to go straight.

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Thanks! Hoping this will be amended to the original TSB document so it provides clarity to other Jeep owners who have a modified suspension within factory specifications.

To be clear, I've always had the wandering steering issue before and after. The lift didn't make it worse or better. The SS did mute it a bit but I'm still having to constantly put input on the highway to correct it to go straight.
It has been revised. It is 08-074-20 REV A dated 9/16/20.

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
Took mine in for service yesterday. They kept it all day to check it out (and also look at a code my ODB II reader found).

They updated the Powertrain Control Module yesterday, and still ordered the parts. Parts should be in around September 28th.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Here's a good one - that TSB, the original as posted on page 1 of this thread - not on the NHTSA site. There are other steering TSBs not at all related, but this one - tsb-08-074-20 - is not there.
I thought it was at one time.
The TSB is present on the MOPAR TECH AUTHORITY website and comes up when I enter my VIN.

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
I dropped mine off on Wednesday. They were slow to fix it, and terrible about communicating the delays, but I finally got it back this evening. I thought it was odd that the service guy was waiting for me as it was well after business hours. He pulled the car out of the bay and waves me outside. He says the replaced they "the parts" (I have to crawl under and verify still) but had a bit of a mishap. A mishap indeed....they managed to spray power steering fluid all over the engine bay, front bumper and both fender flares.

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 2020-09-18 17.56.19

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 2020-09-18 17.56.28

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 2020-09-18 18.13.57

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 2020-09-18 18.14.22

They tried taking it to a car wash to get it out, which, obviously didn't work for the plastic as these are the "after" shots. A car wash also doesn't clean my engine bay (not as concerned about this though, it's an engine bay). Now I have to wait until Monday to go back there so they can get it detailed.

I don't think they'll be able to get that plastic clean. In my experience, once an "oil" touches that kind of plastic, it is forever stained. I hope I'm wrong though.

That all being said, at least they owned up to it and they're trying to fix it.

After all of that, the steering is marginally better, still feels quite lose. That's why I still need to check the part numbers. Update: Part number indicates they replaced the steering box

Oh, and the emergency braking system kicked in at 5MPH in traffic on the way home with nothing in front of me for 50 ft. Not fun.

Last edited:

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I dropped mine off on Wednesday. They were slow to fix it, and terrible about communicating the delays, but I finally got it back this evening. I thought it was odd that the service guy was waiting for me as it was well after business hours. He pulled the car out of the bay and waves me outside. He says the replaced they "the parts" (I have to crawl under and verify still) but had a bit of a mishap. A mishap indeed....they managed to spray power steering fluid all over the engine bay, front bumper and both fender flares.

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 2020-09-18 18.14.22

They tried taking it to a car wash to get it out, which, obviously didn't work for the plastic as these are the "after" shots. A car wash also doesn't clean my engine bay (not as concerned about this though, it's an engine bay). Now I have to wait until Monday to go back there so they can get it detailed.

I don't think they'll be able to get that plastic clean. In my experience, once an "oil" touches that kind of plastic, it is forever stained. I hope I'm wrong though.

That all being said, at least they owned up to it and they're trying to fix it.

After all of that, the steering is marginally better, still feels quite lose. That's why I still need to check the part numbers. Update: Part number indicates they replaced the steering box

Oh, and the emergency braking system kicked in at 5MPH in traffic on the way home with nothing in front of me for 50 ft. Not fun.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd that's EXACTLY why I won't get the advanced safety BS. If anyone was behind you and you were going at any speed that may have caused a wreck. Glad you're good though and hope it doesn't happen again. It sucks you aren't happy with how the steering turned out, doesn't sound great. Check the steering fluid levels after a few days when you get up in the morning. I'm assuming the Hulk used at least 2 bottles on your Jeep and then didn't squeeze the 3rd one, letting most of it get into the correct reservoir.

Sponsored

Bradt530

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Taking mine 3 week old truck in tomorrow. Wish me luck.
It may be a long day. and I may be on the phone next week calling and emailing .

I know it pulls at Highway speeds no matter what the diagnostic tool tells them. Reminds me of a ford truck I drove that had well over 150,000 miles on it.
Follow up. I made an appointment 2 weeks ago. I get there at 1:30pm and tell the guy I'll wait. He informed me it was drop off only. That's why I made an appointment. He said he didn't know if they would get to it to today and that I may have to leave. ..(No way Red Rider) I'm getting pissed. I tell him I made an appointment online describing what was going on that it was wandering on the road and I looked like a drunk without drinking....He repeats that it was drop off only...Come in Tokyo..What's the point of making an appointment online and describing what's it's coming in for???

When I mentioned SB he acted like I was speaking a foreign language. Obviously he hadn't seen it. So we settled on me taking it next week early AM and leaving it there so they can diagnostic it . I will freaking loose it if they say they can't find anything. Just order the parts and tell me when they come in from back order. I will be happy to leave it so they can replace it.

I am asking my self is it worth the pain just to get them to look at it or should I just bite the bullet spend 250.00 on Synergy Jeep JL / JLU / JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace ???

Jeep knows there's has been and still is a problem why in the heck did they finally have a service bulletin to address this. The dealership will probably blame all this drop off BS on COVID..It's just an excuse to say GO ON LINE MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TELL US WHAT IT IS COMING IN FOR SO WE CAN TELL YOU IT"S DROP OFF ONLY AND WE MAY NOT EVEN GET TO IT.

jayqwellin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow (Gobi)
Got the TSB work done yesterday. Software reflash of the power steering module and new steering box. The 25 degree/2 inch dead spot in my steering is gone. Much safer to drive now and less fatiguing.

itsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom, 2009 MB SLK 55
I took mine in on Thursday. The dealer has the parts on order. The service manager said they have had four others come in with the same problem over the last few weeks.

HikerBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCLE Gladiator, ‘91 Wrangler, ‘08 GTI, ‘11 GTI
Got the TSB work done yesterday. Software reflash of the power steering module and new steering box. The 25 degree/2 inch dead spot in my steering is gone. Much safer to drive now and less fatiguing.
So had mine done yesterday. Drove 70 and over a few bridges. I have play in the wheel. Not sure what my guy may have missed. Any suggestions?