Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
Drop my JT off at the dealership this morning for the TSB and fell victim to the "we have the steering box, but not the new bolt" problem. I knew it was too good to be true that my dealer ordered the parts on January 2nd, and got them on the 9th. They had the bolt on order it just didn't come in with the other parts and it was delayed until the 25th! Good news is the parts manager was able to get his hand on one and get it overnighted to get me taken care of.

Why would a bolt take 3 weeks to get through their normal ordering process! Even the parts manager seemed flabbergasted by how long he was told it would take.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Drop my JT off at the dealership this morning for the TSB and fell victim to the "we have the steering box, but not the new bolt" problem. I knew it was too good to be true that my dealer ordered the parts on January 2nd, and got them on the 9th. They had the bolt on order it just didn't come in with the other parts and it was delayed until the 25th! Good news is the parts manager was able to get his hand on one and get it overnighted to get me taken care of.

Why would a bolt take 3 weeks to get through their normal ordering process! Even the parts manager seemed flabbergasted by how long he was told it would take.
They need 5 bolts total. 4 that hold the gear to the frame, and the pinch bolt that holds the steering shaft to the steering gear shaft.
Which were they missing? The one single pinch bolt? That's weird if that's the case.
The others are expensive special bolts........... and those have been an issue since last fall when I had mine done. My gear came in like in 2 or 3 days, the bolts took another week.
Dealers order from regional depots so if your dealer is in an area where a lot of dealers are doing a lot of these.............. that could be the issue. They order from their specific depot unless jeepcares gets involved, I suspect.

HjStrater

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
They need 5 bolts total. 4 that hold the gear to the frame, and the pinch bolt that holds the steering shaft to the steering gear shaft.
Which were they missing? The one single pinch bolt? That's weird if that's the case.
The others are expensive special bolts........... and those have been an issue since last fall when I had mine done. My gear came in like in 2 or 3 days, the bolts took another week.
Dealers order from regional depots so if your dealer is in an area where a lot of dealers are doing a lot of these.............. that could be the issue. They order from their specific depot unless jeepcares gets involved, I suspect.
Parts manager wasn't specific on which he was missing, but did say the depot he ordered from out of Detroit had them on the shelf to overnight but it was kind of outside the process to get it that way. (Dealership is in Minneapolis area)

gmc1000_1965

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
So I got mine picked up last week and the steering wheel was off, no longer centered as it was when it went in before the gear swap. The mechanic was an obvious idiot, but I also understand the alignment is not part of it, which I disagree with. Anything that is replaced having to do with steering should at minimum have the steering aligned. Me wheel is no longer centered and had to call the regional manager but he approved the alignment. Thanking them for this, but if you guys are having a steering wheel alignment issue after the fix, bring it up the chain. Let them know about it.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
So I got mine picked up last week and the steering wheel was off, no longer centered as it was when it went in before the gear swap. The mechanic was an obvious idiot, but I also understand the alignment is not part of it, which I disagree with. Anything that is replaced having to do with steering should at minimum have the steering aligned. Me wheel is no longer centered and had to call the regional manager but he approved the alignment. Thanking them for this, but if you guys are having a steering wheel alignment issue after the fix, bring it up the chain. Let them know about it.
or climb under your truck and turn the drag link a hair. Takes 5 mins.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Took 1.5 hairs on mine, still faster, cheaper, easier than going back to a place 30 minutes away one-way.
I'll tell them about it...... who knows, that may prompt them to take another look since I messed with it LOL

Hurricane

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator-2019 wrangler unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear of these concerns with your dealership, rafaelsmith. Our team can provide a list of other dealers in the area you can work with for repairs or work alongside you with the current dealer. Send us a private message if you're interested.

Kate
Jeep Cares
My dealer has only recieved 1 set of parts since September. I have been waiting since the first week the TSB came out.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Parts manager wasn't specific on which he was missing, but did say the depot he ordered from out of Detroit had them on the shelf to overnight but it was kind of outside the process to get it that way. (Dealership is in Minneapolis area)
Hi @HjStrater ,

Sorry to hear about the concerns you're experiencing. If you'd like additional support while working with your dealer, feel free to send us a DM with your current mileage & VIN!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

gmc1000_1965

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I mean you ain't wrong there, point was though jeep should be taking care of it. It shouldn't be an issue when picking up n driving home vehicle

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I mean you ain't wrong there, point was though jeep should be taking care of it. It shouldn't be an issue when picking up n driving home vehicle
Absolutely.
I just broke one of my own "rules" on that sort of thing. I've commented earlier that my truck seems to be going backwards in steering feel - it now tends to wander - goes left, so you counter it, then it goes right and you counter that then it goes back left again. It's almost like it's straddling some sort of ridge and pops from side to side over said ridge. It's not a "pull" as it keeps changing - wants to go left then it wants to go right and you find yourself constantly having to counter that action.
A few have said they found those steering sector bolts loose (sector to frame bolts) and I was going to go up to the dealer and talk to them about the "wandering" thing and have them check - then decides, oh, hell - I'm waiting for some bolts to come out of the acid bath removing old plating, I've got a few minutes...... took my 18mm socket, extension and torque wrench up to the garage and checked.
I got from 60 to 90 degrees out of all 4 bolts before it clicked. Not a huge change, but still.........
(of course I'd love to know if the torque specs people toss around here are SERVICE torque specs (check it later specs) or "installation" specs - when installing new parts.
There can be differences between the specs.

Sponsored

HjStrater

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
Hi @HjStrater ,

Sorry to hear about the concerns you're experiencing. If you'd like additional support while working with your dealer, feel free to send us a DM with your current mileage & VIN!

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Thanks Courtney. I have faith that the dealer will come through for me, should that change i will reach out.

nyyankees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2004 TJ 4.0
Been waiting since August or September here as well. At this point I don't even know if its worth it. I'm used to the way it drives now and it's still better than my TJ!

Ghostwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 cj8
Just got the call today to schedule my install. I contacted Jeep Cares last week. It’s pretty clear now that the dealership had dropped the ball and was never going to order the part for me, over three months since they said 5hey would. So far this dealer in Kirkland WA has been a complete disaster, but they are 5 minutes from the house. Hope they get better, but after this AND failing on the bad 2nd battery, I’m already walking through the door with a negative bias. Really hope they get the install right.

Vladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vladiator
My TSB appointment was all set for tomorrow and I got this email today. The service is disappointing and the quality of the truck is as well in regards to the steering. Since driving the car off the lot 3 months ago I’ve had to take the truck to the dealership service department two times. After getting the note today I have to wait even longer to have a perfectly operable vehicle. This is a lot of headache for spending 50-60k. I work in building world class brands and the core relationships with our community of enthusiasts. I hope jeep can regain my trust and that of the community who have this steering issue. I’ve been in their shoes before. But as a customer my patience is becoming a burden.

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 789D3030-AF19-47A9-BEE9-AAF023405E1D

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
My TSB appointment was all set for tomorrow and I got this email today. The service is disappointing and the quality of the truck is as well in regards to the steering. Since driving the car off the lot 3 months ago I’ve had to take the truck to the dealership service department two times. After getting the note today I have to wait even longer to have a perfectly operable vehicle. This is a lot of headache for spending 50-60k. I work in building world class brands and the core relationships with our community of enthusiasts. I hope jeep can regain my trust and that of the community who have this steering issue. I’ve been in their shoes before. But as a customer my patience is becoming a burden.

789D3030-AF19-47A9-BEE9-AAF023405E1D.jpeg
Had they already inspected yours and approved the replacement? I took mine in yesterday and received notice today that mine was approved.

ED52D6E1-91F7-4F11-9BF6-02A17B2AADA2.jpeg
Sponsored