Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Turn your wire speed down on your MIG, you should like the results ;)
I’m doing TIG and was running hot and using a lot of filler because there were literally holes where the bends were.

Does that change your opinion?
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I’m doing TIG and was running hot and using a lot of filler because there were literally holes where the bends were.

Does that change your opinion?
Yup, turn your heat down, you won't have to move as fast. I don't know what wire you're using but I would recommend ER-70 1/8". You don't have to do it all in one pass. Keep your bead tight and you can do multiple passes, stacking them as you go.

Good night.

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
OP
OP
Kindafearless

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Maine was awesome btw. All the fixes held up great.

This is what the TMR track bar bracket looks like:

Jeep Gladiator Practical Truck for the Over Prepared Woman 32DEFBF0-B2B6-4769-8370-302F3F784EDA

I did finally take out a tail light :( Bunch of really tight trees after an obstacle and I wasn’t paying enough attention…

Fortunately, Jeep did a great job installing that bracket. Took it apart while waiting for others and had it reinstalled and looking good 5 minutes later.

Some fun rocks up there to really play with the Gladiator’s wheelbase advantage.

Jeep Gladiator Practical Truck for the Over Prepared Woman EF9C962A-FDA8-4198-8D3F-FBF4E0247F69

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kindafearless

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Had some fun in Kentucky/Tennesse.

Broke the darn rear sway bar mount again though. My welds held, but the brackets split in half where they weren't reinforced. Guess that settles it, going to run it through the frame.

Jeep Gladiator Practical Truck for the Over Prepared Woman IMG_2257

I also managed to dent my driveshaft, I think that happened in Maine though. Called Adams and they said I could send it to them and they would re-tube it at materials cost. That's pretty cool of them :)

OP
OP
Kindafearless

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Another 6 inches. That will make it a total of 13-14 inches removed. This picture shows the mockup lines I'm looking at.

As to why, maneuverability and trees. Wheelbase still hasn't been a problem, but that tail end sticking out does like to find things. I feel like you can avoid 99% of trees/rocks through careful driving, but that 1% leave a nasty scar. I hit 3 times in the later half of this year and I'm looking at a couple days of body work to get it fixed up. I want to avoid that next year.

The plan is to run a frame mounted bar along the top of the bed, take the extra 6 inches off, and hopefully I can wheel in bliss next year. I'm going to call it my "tree rail" I think.

Jeep Gladiator Practical Truck for the Over Prepared Woman IMG_2301

Sponsored

Jerhemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Willys
Another 6 inches. That will make it a total of 13-14 inches removed. This picture shows the mockup lines I'm looking at.

As to why, maneuverability and trees. Wheelbase still hasn't been a problem, but that tail end sticking out does like to find things. I feel like you can avoid 99% of trees/rocks through careful driving, but that 1% leave a nasty scar. I hit 3 times in the later half of this year and I'm looking at a couple days of body work to get it fixed up. I want to avoid that next year.

The plan is to run a frame mounted bar along the top of the bed, take the extra 6 inches off, and hopefully I can wheel in bliss next year. I'm going to call it my "tree rail" I think.

Jeep Gladiator Practical Truck for the Over Prepared Woman IMG_2301
oooh. Can’t wait to see this.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Looks great!
It would be awesome if you could document with photos through the process- may help encourage others.

curious- did you cut the end plates off the frame and re weld them back on or did you make your own? What’s the frame process look like for re-assembly.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Your build thought process is why I Rock Crawl a 2Dr Wrangler TJR
:like:

I am amazed at how much weaker some aspects of the newer jeeps are compared to the older ones. On a TJ, the rear upper sway bar mounts are a Box welded to the frame.
Jeep Gladiator Practical Truck for the Over Prepared Woman 1669567701343

OP
OP
Kindafearless

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Looks great!
It would be awesome if you could document with photos through the process- may help encourage others.

curious- did you cut the end plates off the frame and re weld them back on or did you make your own? What’s the frame process look like for re-assembly.
I cut and re-welded. It was really easy to pop them off, they were just tack welded on there.

This time around it will be a little different since I'm going to be changing the bumper approach a little. The plan is to convert over to clevis holes.

I'll take photos as I go. It will take a few weeks though, lots of work coming up the next couple weeks :/
Sponsored