Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It’s an unofficial event that people know about through word of mouth, and every year there are dozens of arrests and hospitalizations. During the event, the attendees stay in their Jeeps to enjoy the beach. There is typically a lot of alcohol involved.
First paragraph of story kind of gives clues why it goes off the rails. Unofficial and unorganized word of mouth and add the alcohol, can see why things happen.

An unregulated event like that is going to attract more than just the Jeepers, it will bring the non Jeep riff-raff looking to cause trouble.
Sponsored

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Every year this gets posted and every year we have to remind y'all that the one in Galveston is not a "Jeep Weekend" or in any way affiliated with Jeep Go Topless Weekend. The douchebags in side-by-sides, bro-dozers and diesel F-250s took over that weekend years ago in Galveston. I wish the news media would stop calling it Jeep Weekend or Jeep Go Topless Weekend because the ratio of other vehicles to Jeeps is 10 to 1.

Just watch the video attached to the news story and see how many Jeeps are in the video. Only a handful. The real Jeep Go Topless Weekend that is a nationwide event is held in Surfside Beach which is further down the coast and a lot more organized and chaos free.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just spent last Weekend with 100’s of Jeep enthusiasts ant Jeep The Mac/Drummond Island Event and never saw a problem. People from all over the place and there was even a beer tent. @Gvsukids was there too. Was an awesome group of like minded Jeepers crammed on an island in the mud. Fun for all!
Jeep Gladiator Public drunkenness, disorderly conduct leads to 233 arrests at annual Jeep Weekend in Galveston Texas. 50+ people rushed to hospital IMG_0724
Jeep Gladiator Public drunkenness, disorderly conduct leads to 233 arrests at annual Jeep Weekend in Galveston Texas. 50+ people rushed to hospital IMG_0736
Jeep Gladiator Public drunkenness, disorderly conduct leads to 233 arrests at annual Jeep Weekend in Galveston Texas. 50+ people rushed to hospital IMG_0725
Jeep Gladiator Public drunkenness, disorderly conduct leads to 233 arrests at annual Jeep Weekend in Galveston Texas. 50+ people rushed to hospital IMG_0734
Jeep Gladiator Public drunkenness, disorderly conduct leads to 233 arrests at annual Jeep Weekend in Galveston Texas. 50+ people rushed to hospital IMG_0731
Jeep Gladiator Public drunkenness, disorderly conduct leads to 233 arrests at annual Jeep Weekend in Galveston Texas. 50+ people rushed to hospital IMG_0733

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
50,000 attendees, 50 hospitalizations... in Texas probably half of those are risk of heat stroke. 0.1% of attendees hospitalized isn't really that much.

That being said, it's not my kinda place. In my late 30s I really don't like drinking anywhere in not going to be sleeping.
Same for me. I’m late 20s but a general rule for me is a drink per hour in public. 2 drinks max if I’m driving at any point. Turn up if I’m with family or REALLY close friends.

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator Mojave, 17 Sienna, 92 VW Cabriolet
Jeeps are now what compact imports were in the early 2000s.
Think about it...
- Undercarriage LED lights are the new undercarriage neon lights.
- Wraps are the new body-sized decals/stickers.
- Angry grills and extreme fenders are the new body kits.
- Overly build jeeps that will never see a trail are the new trailer-queen show-cars that will never see actual race competition (or driving).
- Obnoxiously impractical wheel/tire combinations are... well that hasn't really changed.

And Jeepfest looks like its turning into the new Hot Import Nights.
At least all the import shows of 20 years ago had import models... now we have "influencers"... blech.

AirborneTexasRanger

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2004 TJ Wrangler X
Occupation
Welder/CWI
Congratulations Galveston. You beat last year's record of 200 arrests. Keep ruining it for the rest of us.

Edit: I shouldn't blame Galveston when I know it's all the shit heads from the Houston areas causing the trouble.

Last edited:

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
🤔 I bought my jeep to get away from crowds....
Jeep Gladiator Public drunkenness, disorderly conduct leads to 233 arrests at annual Jeep Weekend in Galveston Texas. 50+ people rushed to hospital Resized_20210930_190633
Me too! and I used to live in Galveston…glad I got out of there…

Sponsored

Fungi3

First Name
Fungi3
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP GLADIATOR ALTITUDE
Occupation
Lover of Life
I attend jeep events, car show events, and motorcycle events, and I am very selective.. I believe there is a major difference compared to this particular event. I help organize and participate in events, and they always include these critical components.

Attendees have limited access to very specific areas.

Attendees (including passengers) are checked per online reservation, and must show I.D. to enter. I.D. and plate are logged, along with vehicle operator's name/etc, and number and age of passengers.

A printed copy of event program and RULES are given to every vehicle.

A short version of the RULES are read to every vehicle during entry process.

There is ALWAYS a fee charged. It really does help. The fee pays for emergency services stand-bye, numerous police officers at entry and patrolling event areas, entry and booths/set-ups, and memorabilia pass-out items.

We also have a large number of security and parking volunteers, with radios and access to communicate with police. Attendee vehicles are told there is a NO TOLERANCE policy for under-aged drinking, fighting, excessively loud behavior, or nudity.

During the event, the police, volunteer spotters, and other volunteers immediately report any potentially hazardous or rules violation activity.

BTW, an online news report claimed complaints of rape and sexual assault during that event. News organizations aren't the most honorable themselves. But, true or not, this kind of drunken teenager free-for-all event would never be my choice to promote, attend, or volunteer at. That's way over the line. When organized properly, none of these things typically occur.

In my world, there are two types of events:

1. Organized - With Structure, Safety, and Respect for All

2. Word-of-Mouth Show-Up Party - Pretty much a Free-For-All with no one responsible
It's the same as a party/cookout at your home. Some kids spread the word at school that there's a party at Jane's house on Friday night at 10pm while parents are away. Nothing good can be expected. If it had structure and only known people invited, parents/adults overseeing, numbers and types of attendees controlled, and rules laid our beforehand, it is likely to go without arrests and bad things happening.

Last edited:

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
I just spent last Weekend with 100’s of Jeep enthusiasts ant Jeep The Mac/Drummond Island Event and never saw a problem. People from all over the place and there was even a beer tent. @Gvsukids was there too. Was an awesome group of like minded Jeepers crammed on an island in the mud. Fun for all!
Jeep Gladiator Public drunkenness, disorderly conduct leads to 233 arrests at annual Jeep Weekend in Galveston Texas. 50+ people rushed to hospital IMG_4545
Jeep Gladiator Public drunkenness, disorderly conduct leads to 233 arrests at annual Jeep Weekend in Galveston Texas. 50+ people rushed to hospital IMG_4545
Drummond island is a great place to be. Good perch fishing this time of the year too. So many small mouth bass too if you like fishing. I like the Geopro camper. I have a 15TB and heading to Silver Lake to camp in a couple weeks.

Hank

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
Jeeps are now what compact imports were in the early 2000s.
Think about it...
- Undercarriage LED lights are the new undercarriage neon lights.
- Wraps are the new body-sized decals/stickers.
- Angry grills and extreme fenders are the new body kits.
- Overly build jeeps that will never see a trail are the new trailer-queen show-cars that will never see actual race competition (or driving).
- Obnoxiously impractical wheel/tire combinations are... well that hasn't really changed.

And Jeepfest looks like its turning into the new Hot Import Nights.
At least all the import shows of 20 years ago had import models... now we have "influencers"... blech.
I remember lots of older jeeps in the 70's and 80's that looked like this,

Jeep Gladiator Public drunkenness, disorderly conduct leads to 233 arrests at annual Jeep Weekend in Galveston Texas. 50+ people rushed to hospital cj7

Plus added KC hi-lights everwhere. If there would have been more stuff available, more would have been bolted on. I don't care what people put on their jeeps and I don't care if people like what I put on mine. I like that people can make them whatever they want. Not everyone lives where its easy or accessible to get off road. To each their own.

Hank

BearDog

First Name
Johnnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport Max Tow. '20 H2SXSE+. RV-4 Airplane
Occupation
Machine Shop Manager
"Other than Jeep folk" are the main culprits of the BS. Slammed trucks. Rice burner cars. Young drunk idiots. I quit going to Bolivar years ago because of this.

We have been going to a different beach for years now. I checked today, and the local PD said there were ZERO incidents related to Go Topless. Our group even made their FB page because we dropped off dozens of cases of water and Gatorade. We even fed BOTH shifts of officers Friday with brisket/fixin's at our main house and Saturday with boiled shrimp/fixin's on the beach. There were several hundred Jeeps along the beach with thousands of people. We had a blast.

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator Mojave, 17 Sienna, 92 VW Cabriolet
I remember lots of older jeeps in the 70's and 80's that looked like this,

Jeep Gladiator Public drunkenness, disorderly conduct leads to 233 arrests at annual Jeep Weekend in Galveston Texas. 50+ people rushed to hospital cj7

Plus added KC hi-lights everwhere. If there would have been more stuff available, more would have been bolted on. I don't care what people put on their jeeps and I don't care if people like what I put on mine. I like that people can make them whatever they want. Not everyone lives where its easy or accessible to get off road. To each their own.

Hank
Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not disparaging anyone for doing whatever they want.
I'm actually one of those people that doesn't have access to anything off-road (unless you count the NYC potholes as rough terrain). And admittedly, I was part of the Fast & Furious crowd as well - albeit adopting more of the European Bauhaus minimalist auto styling.

I was merely drawing the parallels to how Jeepfest has seemingly become the train-wreck and scenes of chaos/buffoonery that some of the latter HIN's were.
Sponsored