Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Matthew
@Gren71

I bought my Sport S Max Tow in July 2019. I've had no problems with it. It's been three years and I've been concerned about the battery having read the many post here.

The other day when I went to start it, the button did not respond and on the dash it told be the fob was not in proximity of the vehicle but it was with me. Also told me I could start it buy putting the fob on the start button. In stead I went and got the other fob and tried it and the same response. So I used the fob to push the start button and the truck started. My mind raced about the battery. I did my running around and the truck started up normally afterwards. However when I went to call my wife the phone was no longer paired and I had to speak in the phone.

I remember in one of the treads somebody said there truck acted goofy or something with the dash icons.

I'm going to making a trip pulling my camper the end of August and don't want any surprises.

I will order tyhe Napa batteries tomorrow.

I also PM'd Shadowspapa and shared this with him for any advise.
Replacing them wasn’t hard I watched the video that old link below and did exactly what this fella dead and had absolutely no issues during or after the replacement.

I do occasionally get a message on my Curt Echo that says the battery voltage is low. But I think that’s just the Curt assuming the battery voltage stays constant and it’s not set up for our smart charge system. And I’ve gotten no issues with the Curt, just the occasional message.
Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
@Gren71
I watched the same video several times. I even went and bought a T8 Tacklife battery jumper as well last July 2022. Today my wife's 4 year old Toyota CHR battery died and I got to use the jumper for the first time. Worked great!

So did you go down through the electrical box like in the video? I plan on going through the fender.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mine died today 11,200 2 years into warranty. Will take it in this week if it's still covered which I assume it is.
Should be part of the 36 month/36,000 mile bit.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
I just swapped out both batteries this morning.

Hardest part was hoisting the new 60lbs YEL94R Yellow Top, THE BIG ONE, over and into its new home. As for the Aux battery, I went with an Orielly's SuperStart Platinum AUX14. I went through the wheel well, so much easier.

Please note that the Optima YEL94R is longer than the OEM battery. So a cleat has to be removed in the battery well for it to fit.

Jeep Gladiator Replacing both batteries 062c10db-30df-430a-abe3-dac04a8b9b60-jpe

Jeep Gladiator Replacing both batteries 717c374d-5ff8-4d31-9cb0-75c8e5a7f21b-jpe

Jeep Gladiator Replacing both batteries 302043952_10162157840097907_6505223041289782610_n

Last edited:

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I just swapped out both batteries this morning.

Hardest part was hoisting the new 60lbs YEL94R Yellow Top, THE BIG ONE, over and into its new home. As for the Aux battery, I went with an Orielly's SuperStart Platinum AUX14. I went through the wheel well, so much easier.

Please note that the Optima YEL94R is longer than the OEM battery. So a cleat has to be removed in the battery well for it to fit.

Jeep Gladiator Replacing both batteries 302043952_10162157840097907_6505223041289782610_n

Is the optima taller though? I have my vosswitch controller mounted driver side above the battery with not a whole lot of room underneath and was wondering if the optima's are taller as i'm a fan of the yellow top.

TwelveSoldier

First Name
J T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator and Wrangler
I've been on the hunt for a battery replacement of both myself. I called the dealer and they said the Aux battery for the 3.6 versus the 3.0 Diesel are different. I'm also waiting to do the Genesis dual battery, but who knows when that will be... Does anyone else with the Diesel know of the size the Aux battery is?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I've been on the hunt for a battery replacement of both myself. I called the dealer and they said the Aux battery for the 3.6 versus the 3.0 Diesel are different. I'm also waiting to do the Genesis dual battery, but who knows when that will be... Does anyone else with the Diesel know of the size the Aux battery is?
That's a new one. You're the first to report that. I would think that the diesel uses the same Aux battery as the rest of them. What do the online sources, like AutoZone, show for it?

TwelveSoldier

First Name
J T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator and Wrangler
That's a new one. You're the first to report that. I would think that the diesel uses the same Aux battery as the rest of them. What do the online sources, like AutoZone, show for it?
When doing a search from the AutoZone website, it says neither battery for the diesel is available. I looked at O'Reily, Advanced Auto Parts, and a few online retailers like Quadratec. None of them show a battery available. I even went to the battery websites like Interstate, Full River, etc. Most list the 3.6 but none for the diesel. I assumed they would all be the same, but I can't even find a YouTUbe video on the diesel battery change... except for the Grand Cherokee.
Even the Genesis Dual battery says the the Diesel JL is different than the Diesel JT.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
This was a good read.

anyone have any info on the genesis dual battery shipment for diesels???

also- North Star group 25 batteries- doesn’t appear to be a thing?? Their site is a pain to navigate- I’m not seeing it…

any equal quality to north star (ideally made in America like North Star)

Sponsored

TwelveSoldier

First Name
J T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator and Wrangler
This was a good read.

anyone have any info on the genesis dual battery shipment for diesels???

also- North Star group 25 batteries- doesn’t appear to be a thing?? Their site is a pain to navigate- I’m not seeing it…

Full River seems to be the best in my readings. But in terms of warranty and availability... Duralast or other major brands might be the best option. But I'm still looking for the diesel replacement. If I recall correctly from an old article, the diesel battery must sit lower as to not touch the hood. I'm not certain on that though. It was just one of the reasons I almost reconsidered my diesel purchase. You'd think by now the market would have all these parts available. It's hard to find the correct oil and oil filter outside of Mopar themselves. I'll probably trade mine in for a 4xe if they produce one.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You'd think by now the market would have all these parts available. It's hard to find the correct oil and oil filter outside of Mopar themselves.
Welcome to the new normal - supply chain issues are not going away any time soon. Even VW says it's likely to get worse before it gets better. Toyota has cut production of at least one model due to inability to source parts.
Batteries are tricky here due to the regulations and cost of production.

NAPA batteries made in the USA by a respected company in the business for years.
I've had incredible luck with them- even those in my cars that sit a lot and don't get the best of care battery-wise due to storage and short drives and low miles per year.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Is the optima taller though? I have my vosswitch controller mounted driver side above the battery with not a whole lot of room underneath and was wondering if the optima's are taller as i'm a fan of the yellow top.
I don't have the numbers in front of me but after dropping the battery in, it didn't look taller.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
@Gren71
I watched the same video several times. I even went and bought a T8 Tacklife battery jumper as well last July 2022. Today my wife's 4 year old Toyota CHR battery died and I got to use the jumper for the first time. Worked great!

So did you go down through the electrical box like in the video? I plan on going through the fender.
Yep! Followed the video exactly and had no issues with the swap.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Welcome to the new normal - supply chain issues are not going away any time soon. Even VW says it's likely to get worse before it gets better. Toyota has cut production of at least one model due to inability to source parts.
Batteries are tricky here due to the regulations and cost of production.

NAPA batteries made in the USA by a respected company in the business for years.
I've had incredible luck with them- even those in my cars that sit a lot and don't get the best of care battery-wise due to storage and short drives and low miles per year.
My motorhome would eat 6 NAPA batteries at a time. 4 house batteries and 2 engine start batteries. Over $800 each time.
Sponsored