Survey- For those with misfire issues

Gameshow

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
On the 2nd attempt to fix my JT, the FCA Engineers replaced VVL solenoids on both banks along with rockers and lash adjusters on cylinders 5/6. Additionally they replace both CAM phasers that set the codes along with the OCV for those phasers installed. Zero success. Was back in the shop 2 days later. As I shared on an earlier thread, they are now replacing the complete engine. 55 days of ownership with less than 300 miles. Shop has the vehicle going on 33 days and counting.
@DTrees that just sucks, man. What is the lemon law requirement for where you live? In Kansas, if they've had it more than thirty days or four times for the same event, or any 10 events in the first year, you're in legal land.
Sponsored

Minnie2011

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Accounting
On the 2nd attempt to fix my JT, the FCA Engineers replaced VVL solenoids on both banks along with rockers and lash adjusters on cylinders 5/6. Additionally they replace both CAM phasers that set the codes along with the OCV for those phasers installed. Zero success. Was back in the shop 2 days later. As I shared on an earlier thread, they are now replacing the complete engine. 55 days of ownership with less than 300 miles. Shop has the vehicle going on 33 days and counting.
Unfortunately, I think this is just further evidence that FCA does not really know what is wrong with these vehicles. This also speaks volumes regarding (a) the FCA quality control process at time of manufacturing, (b) the FCA process for resolving issues and (c) the FCA process for communicating with its dealer network and affected owners.

With all of that said (and based on our collective experience on this forum) I am highly skeptical of individual shops tearing down literally brand new engines on a trial and error basis.

I am approaching week 7 (yes 7 weeks) of waiting on a resolution from the technicians at FCA. As of last Thursday, my dealership again confirmed it would be mid-July at the earliest for a solution to be available.

It is almost comical at this point...

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
The service manager at the dealership called this morning. He said he spoke with an engineer at FCA. The engineer said that FCA is aware of a P0300 misfire problem with the Gladiator and Wrangler software and they are working on a TSB for it. The SM said that it could be several weeks before the new software is available.

Last edited:

DTrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU
@DTrees that just sucks, man. What is the lemon law requirement for where you live? In Kansas, if they've had it more than thirty days or four times for the same event, or any 10 events in the first year, you're in legal land.
FCA has already agreed to repurchase. Didn’t need to get legal representation. In MN. It’s out of service for 30 business days and/or 4 service events on the same issue. Waiting to hear back from the FCA purchase and reaquisition team. Undecided on purchasing another Gladiator. Wife has a 2018 JKU and loves it.

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, I think this is just further evidence that FCA does not really know what is wrong with these vehicles. This also speaks volumes regarding (a) the FCA quality control process at time of manufacturing, (b) the FCA process for resolving issues and (c) the FCA process for communicating with its dealer network and affected owners.

With all of that said (and based on our collective experience on this forum) I am highly skeptical of individual shops tearing down literally brand new engines on a trial and error basis.

I am approaching week 7 (yes 7 weeks) of waiting on a resolution from the technicians at FCA. As of last Thursday, my dealership again confirmed it would be mid-July at the earliest for a solution to be available.

It is almost comical at this point...
This is exactly why i refused an engine tear down when FCA told my dealer this was the next step. I dont trust the "technicians" at dealerships to tear down and put my engine back to the same quality it was assembled from the factory. Dealer technicians, in my opinion, know squat compaired to old mechanics. If ther is not exact code thrown then they have no ideas how to go about getting to the bottom of the issue at hand. This is why all these dealers are scratching their heads to the P0300 multiple cylinder misfire code. It too vague and they dont have a clue how to remedy it.

Sponsored

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
This is exactly why i refused an engine tear down when FCA told my dealer this was the next step. I dont trust the "technicians" at dealerships to tear down and put my engine back to the same quality it was assembled from the factory. Dealer technicians, in my opinion, know squat compaired to old mechanics. If ther is not exact code thrown then they have no ideas how to go about getting to the bottom of the issue at hand. This is why all these dealers are scratching their heads to the P0300 multiple cylinder misfire code. It too vague and they dont have a clue how to remedy it.
From what I’m reading on this forum and from what I’ve heard from the dealership I’d say they have at least a hunch about what’s going on. When the SM said “They are aware of the P0300-misfire code problem....” then finished with “they are working on a TSB...” that gave me the impression that FCA has at least identified that there is a problem. In my situation it looks like I’m going to hold on to the loaner Gladiator and mine will sit on the lot until the software update gets released with the TSB.

Stark25

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 overland
Occupation
Electrician supervisor
Update.

Finally spoke with a humane service advisor yesterday. Who tried to explain that no one knows how to fix problem yet and they opened their own case with FCA that is sending a field engineer out but they don’t have solution yet either. I Then called the financing bank to verify they have not finalized the contract and would cancel it if that’s what I wanted. I then fought with sales for 6 hours calling them out on their lies saying they already had title to my trade in and it’s sold all ready (even though it was still in the back). Then they tried to give me a different gladiator of same value for $7,500 more or I would have to deal with FCA on misfiring gladiator. I had to call the bank back on speaker in front of finance manager for her to stop lying, after several more knife fights over blatant lies they finally offered another gladiator of same value at the original price I agreed to for the original jt that started misfiring at 50 some miles one day after I drove off the lot. Hopefully I’ll be one of the lucky ones and have no issues with new jt.

I Absolutely will never walk into another Autonation dealer unless I have to take a $hi+. I also understand this problem stems from FCA but I was lucky enough to have a great financing bank that gave the dealer a great opportunity to make it right and put me in a vehicle without issues (presumably) without any loss to them or me other than our time given I only put around 15 miles on misfiring jt and the FCA will be compensating the dealer for it . They chose to use this opportunity to try a shaft me for more money and tried to refuse releasing my trade in back to me. when I would not accept said shaft even though they knew it was not their right given the fact my bank had not closed existing contract in my name on the trade in, or finalized contract on the misfiring jt.

Never in my life have I seen adults blatantly lie and not skip a beat moving on to the next lie when they are busted like the worms in Autonation Katy’s finance department.

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
I have a new theory for those of us only with the random misfire code, not the guys with a specific cylinder code. I seem to get the start/stop failure light when I start the Jeep cold and the A/C is set on high with a low temp. Again this is just a theory but I wonder if maybe the resistance from the A/C compressor is causing a misfire until the engine warms up. I haven’t trouble shot anything yet. The idea just came to mind when on my way to work this morning with the light on again. (2k miles on the JTR)

P.Lo

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I have a new theory for those of us only with the random misfire code, not the guys with a specific cylinder code. I seem to get the start/stop failure light when I start the Jeep cold and the A/C is set on high with a low temp. Again this is just a theory........................................ The idea just came to mind when on my way to work this morning with the light on again. (2k miles on the JTR)
Isn't a "cold start up" in San Antonio like a 100 degrees or something? :giggle:

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
Isn't a "cold start up" in San Antonio like a 100 degrees or something? :giggle:
Lol. Yep. Especially here recently. I was hoping someone from a cold climate would chime in and say I’m wrong.

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Update.

Finally spoke with a humane service advisor yesterday. Who tried to explain that no one knows how to fix problem yet and they opened their own case with FCA that is sending a field engineer out but they don’t have solution yet either.
You're not going to see a field engineer for quite some time. They've been on covid lockdown with no idea of when it will end. A software update will probably get here sooner. They also wouldn't come out if there's a software fix in the works as they'd be wasting their time.

Vickie Sae

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired photographer
UPDATE:
First of all, our dealership has been working with us very well. We like them.
They were told by STAR Support that they didn't have any other testing or answers for solutions and informed our dealership to return the vehicle back to us. (Tomorrow is 30 days at the shop). The Dealership, under the engineers directions did a bunch of different component tests and small parts inspections. The market managers are looking into the situation and we will know what options we have soon.
I don't really know what to do other than wait and see.

ForestTech

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Forestry
I just bought a new 2020 Gladiator and at 250 miles i had check engine light and the start/stop system service light come on along with rough idle. After a week at the dealer they said it had a multi cylinder misfire on 2/4/6 and they ended up replacing the head. I got it back and less then 100 more miles same problem. It's now been at the dealer for another 2 weeks and has had new CO censors installed and they are currently replacing the rockers and rocker shafts. They have until the 13th to repair it at which point it becomes a Lemon Law buy back. They have not mentioned anything about it being a software issue.

ForestTech

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Forestry
UPDATE:
First of all, our dealership has been working with us very well. We like them.
They were told by STAR Support that they didn't have any other testing or answers for solutions and informed our dealership to return the vehicle back to us. (Tomorrow is 30 days at the shop). The Dealership, under the engineers directions did a bunch of different component tests and small parts inspections. The market managers are looking into the situation and we will know what options we have soon.
I don't really know what to do other than wait and see.
Im in the same boat, 30 days is up on next Monday for mine at which time ill be filing a Lemon Law bay back case.

lewishouse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow
Got mine back from the dealer after two days. They swapped two coils and said it went away. I told them if it comes back on I will wait until you actually know what's wrong with it or there is a fix. Next morning code came right back. I too believe it has to do with load on the engine. Mine only seems to happen when the AC is on when I start it. Mine didn't really start happening until around 8000 mi. On a positive note they got rid of the wind noise by the mirrors. I'm sure they filled the inside of the triangle on the door with goop.
Sponsored