GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My Flawdiator is still in the shop. Third time. Undiagnosed CEL and ESS lights. Just found out from service advisor that it was built on Oct. 9, 2019–right in the bullseye of others who have similar problems. Don't know whether to pursue lemon law buyback, or just drive the hell out of it, even if lights come back on (which I'm sure they will).
Like i said in the first post, 10 others had the same issue as mine the day mine was built. There we so many that this was brought to higher ups attention. I guarantee this went on for several weeks if not more so do the math how many there are out there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It would be my luck that I would do the “breaking in procedure” and then blow the engine and they would tell me I wasn’t supposed to drive it with the CEL on and not cover it.
Well i was told by jeep cares and my dealership that i have every right to refuse a tear down and keep driving it and my warranty would still be in full effect if something happened.
I think it would be different if FCA had a definitive fix and you refused the repair, but since they are just throwing parts and fixes at the issue they have no idea how to fix is different, i think.

PJM86

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ7, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
You guys should do a few YouTube videos with the problems you are having and the responses you are getting. I think that would motivate FCA to speed up the fix for these issues. They don’t like bad press on their Jeep brand. Nothing hateful, just the facts.

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Sales Manager @ Hamburger's Superchargers
We just dealt with one that the cam phasers just needed to be reset at the dealership. It was a relearn reset and seems to have worked. Thought I would throw that out there.

Gameshow

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
We just dealt with one that the cam phasers just needed to be reset at the dealership. It was a relearn reset and seems to have worked. Thought I would throw that out there.
A: I love the idea of adding a couple hundred horsepower to my JT...
B: That's the problem, though. If it is a cam phaser issue, Jeep should be broadcasting that to the service centers via a bulletin. That's not happening. If it's some other software related issue, Jeep should be sending out a bulletin that tells service centers the release schedule for an update, and to not throw parts at vehicles exhibiting this problem. That's not happening. At my dealership, they are still wanting to tear into the engine - and that's not okay by me, and shouldn't be okay to FCA. And unlike some, I'm not going to drive around on a CEL because it's under warranty on the hopes everything just works out okay and if not, well shucks they can replace the engine later. No thanks - it's not how this is supposed to work.

Sponsored

Glade8tor

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Do you work at a dealers? My replacement Gladiator is having the phasers replaced today. Do you think this will solve this?

Stark25

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 overland
Occupation
Electrician supervisor
A: I love the idea of adding a couple hundred horsepower to my JT...
B: That's the problem, though. If it is a cam phaser issue, Jeep should be broadcasting that to the service centers via a bulletin. That's not happening. If it's some other software related issue, Jeep should be sending out a bulletin that tells service centers the release schedule for an update, and to not throw parts at vehicles exhibiting this problem. That's not happening. At my dealership, they are still wanting to tear into the engine - and that's not okay by me, and shouldn't be okay to FCA. And unlike some, I'm not going to drive around on a CEL because it's under warranty on the hopes everything just works out okay and if not, well shucks they can replace the engine later. No thanks - it's not how this is supposed to work.
I agree 100% with all of this other than not driving with CEL. If there is no obvious misfire or notable malfunction occurring other than the light I’m gonna give the “break in theory” a good shot. As opposed to paying a note on a Bran new vehicle I had in my possession for 2 whole days before it sat at the dealer while they molest my brand new motor doing random crap to it and putting more miles on it than I have testing each one of their molestation theories. I have no faith in dealer service departments I have 3 good buddies that have worked/do work in service department shops and have heard about things that go on in them such as running a lift so high it crushed the cab of new explorer, forgetting to put oil in vehicles on numerous occasions, and I have been personally been blatantly lied to by several. It is clear to me there is no Affirmative solution regardless of the many solutions offered to a lot of people with no success. And I’m not willing to let them experiment at my expense. I only have one family vehicle my other is my company single cab truck. So I bought brand new trying to avoid reliability issues. I agree this is not how it is supposed to work at all. If I knew how to take legal action and hold them accountable I would and will if I figure it out but left with 3 options it makes equal since to drive it and see if it blows up as opposed to letting it sits for week, months until some one comes up with a solution or let the experiment with your rig on your dime and time. I suppose any choice is a reasonable one given we are only left with BS choices, thanks Jeep!

Last edited:

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Sales Manager @ Hamburger's Superchargers
Do you work at a dealers? My replacement Gladiator is having the phasers replaced today. Do you think this will solve this?
I do not. We just deal with ECUs when adding our superchargers. It's a possibility it could work especially when it does the relearn. Dealership we dealt with didn't have to replace the phasers but just reset the calibration sensor because it was off. There isn't a one size fits all fix at the moment. We do believe it is a FCA software issue and not mechanical due to the randomness of the codes.
We got 3 different brand new computers and 3 separate sets of different codes.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Another update.

Recap, It’s been nearly 3 weeks since I was told to drive my Gladiator until they have the software fix.
It had a multi-cylinder misfire in cylinders 2, 4.6 and they were able to duplicate it a few times on a cold start.

Since then I have put over 1000 miles on it with numerous cold starts.
I have been always letting the engine idle down below 1000 RPM after a cold start before moving. I also try to always turn off the ESS, but sometimes forget. I have not had the Engine light turn on again.

Not sure if this really means anything, or if my misfire issue is just rarer than some.

On a side note I had to take it back to the shop for another issue and it was there 4 days before they were able to fix it. They wanted to get FCA approval before they opened up the transfer case or something. Does not make sense as something was obviously broken.
There is a local county park I like to drive to that has a few pretty tame dirt/gravel roads with some inclines where I can put it in 4H. Just a little fun. Last time I was out there I parked on a somewhat steep gravel incline, and when I got back in and tried to put in in 4H, it was a little tougher then normal. I definitely did not man handle it, but pulled it harder then I normally do, and I heard a clunk, and the 4W shifter moved to 4H, but the indicator light stayed in 2H. The shifter was stuck there with a little bit of play. Fortunately it drove ok, and I called the dealership the next day.

Turns out the diagnosis was that the shifter cable was not seated correctly, and after they re-installed it all is good.

Makes me nervous that it could happen again. Would really suck if it happened while in 4H or 4L. I haven’t heard of anyone else who has had this happen.

So within 2 Months of ownership I have had 3 issues.
1. Start Stop light issue the day I drove it off the lot
- Replaced the secondary battery and it hasn’t happened again.
2 Check engine light - multi cylinder misfire
- Happened to me once and multiple times at the dealership.
- Waiting on a software fix, but I’m skeptical.
3. 4WD shifter cable became unseated and got stuck in 2H
- Fixed (for now?)
@oztek
These are certainly not the events that we hope to hear about your vehicle ownership. In the future, please know that our team is available for additional support along with any dealer service. Feel free to send us a private message when needed.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Minnie2011

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Accounting
Like i said in the first post, 10 others had the same issue as mine the day mine was built. There we so many that this was brought to higher ups attention. I guarantee this went on for several weeks if not more so do the math how many there are out there.
Mine was built the last week of November 2019, so this issue covers more time than FCA will admit. Also, it is unbelievable that FCA has done such a poor job of managing this situation by not communicating with dealers and affected owners, not to mention continuing to sell vehicles with known defects to unsuspecting buyers.

Further, there are owners on this thread who have received replacement vehicles that have the same problem as their original vehicle. I discussed switching out my Gladiator for another Gladiator, however, my dealer indicated they could provide no assurances that a replacement would not have the same problem.

This tells me FCA does not really know what is wrong and/or they are intentionally hiding the ball given the collective experience of everyone on this thread. Meanwhile dealers are in the dark and are experimenting by disassembling and replacing parts on brand new engines, when it seems the real problem is electronic and not mechanical.

Certainly disappointing to say the least. It is past time for FCA to make this right for all of us.

Sponsored

Glade8tor

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
My dealership changed phasers and put a couple hundred more test miles on my original Gladiator. It now on lot as low mileage used. They have submitted plans to FCA to change out phasers on replacement Gladiator. I beieve they are stalling for for software update. Promised Gladiator 2 will be ready next Thursday. Worst car debacle ever. Wish FCA would just admit this is a mess and let customers make an informed decision!!! Come on Jeep Cares I know you guys follow these forums!

PJM86

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ7, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
As I mentioned earlier, get the message out there.... put a YouTube video of the facts out there. I seriously think it will get the ball rolling on a resolution, or better yet a news channel investigative team... good luck.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
My guess is they know what is wrong but corporate engineering is a slow moving proposition.

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Whats even worse is they are willing to deceive any person that would buy a JT that had the misfire issue. When i brought up to Jeep cares the diminished value if major engine parts or engine was replaced and the fact i would need to disclose this to a prospective buyer if i sold it. They told me the work would never be listed on a car fax as engine tear down or replacement but rather something like routine maintenance or inspection ( i don't remember the exact wording). Seem like this could be border line illegal not to record the work order as such.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Do the cam phazers in the 3.6L run off oil pressure? Could oil viscosity be an issue? That definetly changes with climate and region.
Sponsored