Sponsored

Teraflex 1.5 Leveling Kit Questions

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Thanks for the feedback 🍻, makes sense! Front & rear? I am a novice at best when discussing modifications and of course lifting/leveling a JT ... so apologies if the answer is obvious ...
Just front, there is a subforum for allmoparparts they sell the LCAs
Sponsored

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
I've been running the Teraflex front spacers (1.5" total) and the Daystar rear (3/4") since July. No other changes to the suspension and it handles fine. So basicly, if that's all you're doing, the Mopar control arms are a waste of money. If the time comes when you want to go higher, then invest in adjustable arms that allow better articulation.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been running the Teraflex front spacers (1.5" total) and the Daystar rear (3/4") since July. No other changes to the suspension and it handles fine. So basicly, if that's all you're doing, the Mopar control arms are a waste of money. If the time comes when you want to go higher, then invest in adjustable arms that allow better articulation.
Matter of opinion, I could tell a difference with the Mopar LCAs, definitely improved the return to center and reduced wander.

BlackBessy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Director of Paid Marketing
Are you on 35s after the 1.5" TF & 3/4" spacer w/ the overland trim?

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Are you on 35s after the 1.5" TF & 3/4" spacer w/ the overland trim?
Actually, I'm running 285/70 18 Ridge Grapplers on American Racing Outlaw II 18 X 8" +30. Tires measure right around 34", and are 10-15 lbs. lighter than most 35s. An 8" rim with a +30 offset gives me a little more room for a later 2 1/2" AEV Dualsport suspension while having minimal poke.

Sponsored

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado 1500 Custom/Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Occupation
Retired for now!
I called Teraflex and they advised that the LCA's from Mopar are not needed with the 1.5" leveling kit. I told them also that I may just keep the stock 33" tires on as I can't really afford a new set of wheels and tires right now. Senior on fixed income, darn it anyway! Anyhow, they advised that the bump stops are not needed if I keep the stock 33" tires on with their kit. However if I go to 35" tires, they said I would need the bump stops installed to avoid any rubbing in extreme articulation.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Good stuff in here, I appreciate it. Looking to level out my JTR for a bit before I decide if I want to go all in on a full AEV kit.

I think the control arms also depend on if you're a Rubicon or not. The rubicon already has ~1" taller springs so adding in the 1.5" spacers is ~2.5" lift compared to a sport/overland. On a stock rubicon the longer control arms are what will bring you to 6* up from the ~4.5*-4.8* it has. If you keep the stock arms and add the 1.5"spacer on the rubicon you're going to be somewhere in the 3*'s for caster which will just make it wander even more.

Again, do you NEED control arms, no. But if you have the tools and the time to swap them its going to make it drive much better as the gladiators really do better around 6* of caster.
I've got 2 questions:
  • consensus on how much spacer to get to level the front of a JTR?
  • @bleda2002, guessing you're saying no matter the spacer I should get the LCAs? I mean, they are dirt cheap for what I'm doing here.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Good stuff in here, I appreciate it. Looking to level out my JTR for a bit before I decide if I want to go all in on a full AEV kit.

I've got 2 questions:
  • @bleda2002, guessing you're saying no matter the spacer I should get the LCAs? I mean, they are dirt cheap for what I'm doing here.

Yes for sure on the arms. Even stock JTR's and JTM's could benefit from using the mopar arms, so adding a spacer to either of those and you'll really be glad you got them as it will help keep your caster around stock.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a direct comparison as the Rubicon has higher front fenders. This is my sport with 340, 343 front springs, Daystar 1.5” front and .75” rear spacer. I also have the Mopar LCAs, 2” Rubicon Express front shock extensions and Daystar coil spring correction pads. The Mopar LCAs are definitely worth it.

5C7A6BFA-347F-46AD-ADD2-63EE7B459CB8.jpeg

Ar4130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JT
I think the control arms also depend on if you're a Rubicon or not. The rubicon already has ~1" taller springs so adding in the 1.5" spacers is ~2.5" lift compared to a sport/overland. On a stock rubicon the longer control arms are what will bring you to 6* up from the ~4.5*-4.8* it has. If you keep the stock arms and add the 1.5"spacer on the rubicon you're going to be somewhere in the 3*'s for caster which will just make it wander even more.

Again, do you NEED control arms, no. But if you have the tools and the time to swap them its going to make it drive much better as the gladiators really do better around 6* of caster.
Rubicons do not come with any type of lift. The springs are approx 1 inch taller (when not mounted) and have a different spring rate to compensate for the additional weight over other trims. Only Mojaves come with an actual 1 inch lift (front) over other models. The Rubicon springs provide a small lift when used on other models because of the different spring rate and the fact that they are lighter...so the springs don’t compress as much under load. Additional tire clearance on Rubicons is due to high rise fenders. They also appear slightly higher, as they come with the 33s while other models have 31/32. 1.5 inches of lift from a leveling kit effects caster the same regardless if it’s a Rubicon or Sport. Unless he is running Rubicon springs on a sport/willys/overland, there is nothing to add to the projected lift size from a teraflex kit.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicons, Mojaves and sports all have the same LCAs, the models with taller springs have less caster, generally when mounted the Rubicon springs are 1” taller than sport springs and Mojave springs are a little taller than that.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Rubicons do not come with any type of lift. The springs are approx 1 inch taller (when not mounted) and have a different spring rate to compensate for the additional weight over other trims. Only Mojaves come with an actual 1 inch lift (front) over other models. The Rubicon springs provide a small lift when used on other models because of the different spring rate and the fact that they are lighter...so the springs don’t compress as much under load. Additional tire clearance on Rubicons is due to high rise fenders. They also appear slightly higher, as they come with the 33s while other models have 31/32. 1.5 inches of lift from a leveling kit effects caster the same regardless if it’s a Rubicon or Sport. Unless he is running Rubicon springs on a sport/willys/overland, there is nothing to add to the projected lift size from a teraflex kit.
Rubicon's do indeed have a lift, there is nothing inherently heavier upfront about a rubicon other than its tires and the swaybar motor upfront. Hence why rubicons gain less lift from spring swaps when measured. The mojave has an additional one inch on the rubicon so they are between 1.75-2" taller than an equivalent weighted sport.

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
I've got 2 questions:
I simply measured the bottom edge of the body behind the front fender flare to the ground and compared it to the same measurment taken in front of the rear fender flare. Probably be about 1 1/2" to 2" difference.

Ar4130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JT
Thats simply not true. Find me something/anything from Jeep (not some forum post) that says Rubicons come with a lift. They advertise it for Mojave, nothing for Rubicon. According to FCA, the Rubicon weighs 400 lbs more than the Sport. Add oem options like steel bumpers and its even more. The difference /lift achieved, when used on other trims, is the result of a spring with higher spring rate (meant for a heavier vehicle) being used on a lighter vehicle.

Rubicon's do indeed have a lift, there is nothing inherently heavier upfront about a rubicon other than its tires and the swaybar motor upfront. Hence why rubicons gain less lift from spring swaps when measured. The mojave has an additional one inch on the rubicon so they are between 1.75-2" taller than an equivalent weighted sport.
Jeep Gladiator Teraflex 1.5 Leveling Kit Questions Screenshot_20220303-120045_Drive

Jeep Gladiator Teraflex 1.5 Leveling Kit Questions Screenshot_20220303-121442_Chrome

Last edited:

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Thats simply not true. Find me something/anything from Jeep (not some forum post) that says Rubicons come with a lift. They advertise it for Mojave, nothing for Rubicon. According to FCA, the Rubicon weighs 400 lbs more than the Sport. The difference /lift achieved, when used on other trims, is the result of a spring with higher spring rate (meant for a heavier vehicle) being used on a lighter vehicle.
Oh boy this reminds me of the facebook posts that swear the mojave is the only one with the 10.5mm axles in the front too because its the only one "advertised" with them.

First, multiple separate people have done the axle to body measurements, the rubicon is taller than the sport/max tows. Second, the caster spec on the rubicon from the factory is lower to account specifically for the taller suspsension which lowers the caster by ~ .5 of a degree stock. Lastly, the simple physics of springs indicate by your own argument that the rubicon has to be taller.

The springs have been shown to be longer by about an inch and have been measured at a heavier spring rate (except for Max tow). The rubicon has spring rates of 150 or so infront, and 185 in the rear assuming an even split of the 400 lbs, means you at most lose .5-.6 of an inch. The falkens weigh ~70 lbs a piece though compared to a sports ~30 lbs so 150+ of that isnt suspended (rounding down because its not exact 70 or exact 30), and you lost 1/3 of an inch. The 5th tire is firmly behind the rear suspension which would actually pull the nose up, so upfront you're down maybe .25 of an inch then. Voila, the simple physics of it indicate that the rubicon would then be the 3/4+ of an inch taller that the measurements matched, that the sports folks see, and that the caster spec indicates.

So no, i cant find where mopar specifically says the rubicon is taller because they dont advertise a specific lift for them upfront like they do a mojave, but there is no behind the curtain stuff going on here, the rubi's are taller because the rubi springs are longer and stiffer for an only slightly heavier vehicle.

Edit: The mojave's caster specs are actually even lower than the rubicon's to account for the extra height of them as well.
Sponsored

Last edited: