Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Tough choices. Going to throw some numbers at a glad today that’s been sitting on the lot for at least two months.
Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I go back and forth. Now thinking It is good to have a home here for this topic. Good discussion. Highlights some interesting Compar-o. Chance to see where people land on this decision. Hell I went resto to solve my price dilemma and still have a Jeep truck.

But what we don't see is the other end of the spectrum. We have a shit ton of people regretting the decision to buy a Gladiator? No, no we don't. That's the proof. You do struggle a bit if you don't get one and you don't get buyers remorse as much if you do get one.

Jeep Truck wins!
Damn . . . ME TOO ! And probably 20 more times will I confuse my brain into accepting / rejecting each and every "logic point" I've made, every time I make them ! Go Figure ! ?
Apparently BOTH Trucks have their "issues" in Quality Control / "Assurance" . . . ha, assurance . . . like I trust the "assurance guys" on the Build-Lines . . . !? What Day, What Hour of the Day . . . what Month in fact ! Geez my build gonna wind up being New Years Eve just after the Company Party with 2 more hours left to get back to on the shift . . . :( . . . :swear: . . . :LOL: . . . ;) ?

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
For most of my life and career, I bought what was affordable and practical. If I needed a truck, if was a used mid-size (ugh). The equation of family and income always trumped good looks and flat out enjoyment.

All four kids are now off the payroll. I’ve enjoyed increased earnings in my 50’s. The combination of the two have resulted in some fun vehicles in my early 60’s! My JT is one of those and the addition of some improvements that meet my definition of fun are also in the cards.

So, the answer is because it is cooler than anything else.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For most of my life and career, I bought what was affordable and practical. If I needed a truck, if was a used mid-size (ugh). The equation of family and income always trumped good looks and flat out enjoyment.

All four kids are now off the payroll. I’ve enjoyed increased earnings in my 50’s. The combination of the two have resulted in some fun vehicles in my early 60’s! My JT is one of those and the addition of some improvements that meet my definition of fun are also in the cards.

Ditto here too . . . though I didn't have the kids issue or the wife issue for very long . However Navy Enlisted Pay during my time ('83-'04) was "just bearable" once you made Petty Officer 2nd class . As a Sonar Guy, that took ME 5 years . . . 5 years of "LIVING" onboard the ship I was attached to or the shore duty station DORM . So, living within ones means, was for me too, ESSENTIAL, and also NOW with S.S. checks the past 4 years . . . wow I feel like I won the Lottery ! Shhhhh, quiet, don't want to wake up the "Sleeping Elephant" !?. ;)

dgreen1069

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Excursion, 2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat, 2014 Harley CVO Limited
I keep coming back to this thread because I am torn. I originally loved the idea of the Gladiator, but when the dimensions came out I was shocked to find it as long as my Excursion. Now that they have been out a while and I've seen several on the street, I'm wondering if it would be a bit small for my needs.

My Excursion which has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. 215k miles and still runs great. My other vehicle is a 2016 Charger Hellcat which was leased. I have one payment left and can't decide what I want to do. My buddy wants my X and I wouldn't mind downsizing my fleet by getting rid of two vehicles and just getting one. I just got my wife a 2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, so I have a Jeep and all the cool benefits that come with it.

I have started looking more seriously at the Power Wagons. A PW would make my leap to a pickup a bit less dramatic coming from the X than it would be in a Gladiator. Having a full size truck and the Jeep might be the best of both worlds. Of course the other option of not getting anything and turning in the Hellcat is appealing as I'm sick of making endless car payments.

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I keep coming back to this thread because I am torn. I originally loved the idea of the Gladiator, but when the dimensions came out I was shocked to find it as long as my Excursion. Now that they have been out a while and I've seen several on the street, I'm wondering if it would be a bit small for my needs.

My Excursion which has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. 215k miles and still runs great. My other vehicle is a 2016 Charger Hellcat which was leased. I have one payment left and can't decide what I want to do. My buddy wants my X and I wouldn't mind downsizing my fleet by getting rid of two vehicles and just getting one. I just got my wife a 2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, so I have a Jeep and all the cool benefits that come with it.

I have started looking more seriously at the Power Wagons. A PW would make my leap to a pickup a bit less dramatic coming from the X than it would be in a Gladiator. Having a full size truck and the Jeep might be the best of both worlds. Of course the other option of not getting anything and turning in the Hellcat is appealing as I'm sick of making endless car payments.
I turn in the lease and rent a Gladiator for a weekend to see if its for you or not.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370

I came from a Powerwagon. Fantastic truck, one of my favorite vehicles. 37s, lockers, sway bar disco, 4.56 gears, winch in the bumper. Had it for 5 years. The downside, I bought a mini cooper for a daily because the truck was just so damn big. Terrible gas mileage, couldn't fit in parking ramps or my garage, tight on trails. The size ended up being as much of disadvantage as it was an advantage. Gladiator or PW I dont think you can go wrong. For me, the Gladiator suited my needs best

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The Power Wagon was a big contender for me as well. I was between the Gladiator Diesel, the Power Wagon and the Raptor. I ended up in the Raptor as it was to me the perfect mix. Big enough, powerful enough, no need to deal with Diesel problems, and still fantastic offroad (especially with the new live valve shocks).

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dare I say it ? Only to be chastised and shun by gladiators with Gladiators ? Here goes . . . IF I can't convince myself to continue camping in a ground tent (that seems to be the case ?), then a FULL sized Truck Bed will be necessary (For ME) .
See, very unfortunately, jeep just hasn't hit this one "out of the ball park" -- the Bed is just to Small AND to Shallow for a 6 ft. dude to sleep and camp out of ! I guess I was spoiled for 13 years with the 2003 Dodge (RAM) 1500 with 6ft 4inch bed and ARE Cap ! Still up in the air on it ! :headbang: :ontheloo: :computerrage: :headbang: ?

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
RTT for you.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

You nailed it. Pretty much it. Better off now than I was when employed. Time to enjoy what the earlier sacrifices allow now (and what the sacrifices of my parents helped allow)

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
It all depends on your individual needs. I sat in my brother’s brand new Ram 2500 and that thing is a beast. I love the room and the Hemi but my days of driving my Chevy 2500 came rushing back. Such a pain to park and deal with traffic. Like the Power Wagon, his hood is huge and really limits visibility. He pulls heavier trailers frequently so the Ram is a better fit for him. I’m glad the Gladiator fits my needs.

and my Jeep is still the cooler truck, hands down.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting Dodge is still touting the "Hemi" name for sales - these days it's mostly a name as the design is old school. Modern combustion chamber design has almost made the hemi design obsolete. I know that'll bring some sparks, but it's what engine guys have been saying for a while now. It's more a name than a huge advantage as it used to be.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Dare I say it ? Only to be chastised and shun by gladiators with Gladiators ? Here goes . . . IF I can't convince myself to continue camping in a ground tent (that seems to be the case ?), then a FULL sized Truck Bed will be necessary (For ME) .
See, very unfortunately, jeep just hasn't hit this one "out of the ball park" -- the Bed is just to Small AND to Shallow for a 6 ft. dude to sleep and camp out of ! I guess I was spoiled for 13 years with the 2003 Dodge (RAM) 1500 with 6ft 4inch bed and ARE Cap ! Still up in the air on it ! :headbang: :ontheloo: :computerrage: :headbang: ?
Tacoma and GM twins offer 6’ beds if you want to stay in mid-size and RTT on Gladi is not your preference.
Sponsored