Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
This may be an old topic, but I just bought my JTO a month ago, and while I didn't really understand the differences between the models, I know Jeep likes their prices high. There are a lot of options that should be standard. I didn't even realize when I bought my truck that it didn't come with all the new safety equipment.

That's the Safety Package. What? Side collision alert standard, nope, it's in the package. Rear collision alert standard, nope. In the package. Adaptive cruise control standard. You guessed it. Nope. In the package. Rear park assist standard? Nope. Parksense is optional. And costs more money.

I can understand FCA adding a lot of extra features so that people can walk away with a unique truck, but it's 2021 and the safety features shouldn't be optional. I assumed mine would have it and I'm still upset that it doesn't.

I think I'll trade it in next year for a 2022.
Expensive learning lesson to "assume". I have been there before myself.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Expensive learning lesson to "assume". I have been there before myself.
My wife goes by how it looks, or if it looks like it has something, otherwise she generally asks, then asks me if that's everything she wants

I read build sheets, window stickers, etc.
Jeep Gladiator Why not buy a full size truck for the same price? 20210117_132559

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
There are likely some "it depends" involved, but yea, you can change the vehicle after the VIN is assigned, a build date assigned and before it enters production.
If you are told "it can't be done" - it's likely a dealer thing.
We ordered my wife's 2021 Grand Cherokee - and figured we had everything included.
A few days later we started talking about our past Jeeps and talking tires, etc. and I mentioned that it was sure nice to have that full sized spare and matching wheel when we had a screw go through a tire about an inch from the edge of the tread - hmmm, I checked and I didn't have that on the list but ASSUMED (incorrectly) that since our past GCs had the full-size spare, this one would, too.
Well, the reason our others had it was because they had the tow package. We left that off this one. I looked at the build your jeep site again and sure enough - tow package includes the full-sized spare and that was the only way to get it.
Crap - the VIN was assigned....... we were told the build was to take place at xx time.
I also had found that the GC had a BETTER tow number than the JT Overland so figured maybe the tow package would be a "should have this" thing.
I contacted the dealer, he said he'd have to check with is regional rep, get permission and see if it could be done. A couple of days later got an email "it's added".
Maybe our date wasn't set in stone, maybe there were some other "if's" or "maybe's" in there, I don't know, but we got a tow package added to a vehicle that wasn't yet build, but had a vin assigned, etc.
I know they can add sales codes to existing vehicles, such as if you add the passive entry like I did - you can get that sales code added to your VIN and the dealer then grabs that and flashes your system so that it actually shows up in your vehicle and in the future if an update is done, you don't lose the passive entry setting.

Did you not see this part of my post? ->
People who buy the Grand Cherokee EXPECT the safety features, and those things are nearly indestructible, they handle crashes extremely well - while the truck buyers aren't as interested in such things especially in the Sport or Rubicon versions.
I was primarily responding to where you said this:

Those who don't like the "features" are VERY vocal about it, shaming those of us who do like those features.

I was pointing out that not all of those who don't want features are shaming you for wanting them. Some of us just want the option to not have those features.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was primarily responding to where you said this:

Those who don't like the "features" are VERY vocal about it, shaming those of us who do like those features.

I was pointing out that not all of those who don't want features are shaming you for wanting them. Some of us just want the option to not have those features.
Gotcha. And very true.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
To be fair, I didn't really cross shop too much. I sort of knew I wanted a Jeep and was biased, and was coming from a four door JLUR that I knew was temporary. Initially would have just got a Diesel JLUR but I wanted more space for camping without having to go the Goose gear route/drill through the top. I also had wanted a Gladiator because they looked cool lifted.

Pros :
1) More space for camping (no need to drill through top)/utility of a truck
2) Piggy backs off existing Wrangler aftermarket support
3) Off road capability is best in class and it drives well enough for me on road.
4) Fits in my garage
5) Easy to park
6) Can still go down narrow trails
7) Diesel

I guess closest competitor would be the ZR2 Bison? Just feels boring. I'd be more inclined to make other sacrifices and park it outside... and end up with a built Prospector XL instead. Overall there's compromise everywhere with the Gladiator but that's what's so beautiful about it.

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I'd be more inclined to make other sacrifices and park it outside... and end up with a built Prospector XL instead.
The Prospector XL is an awesome rig, but no way a full sized truck - let alone one on 40s like the Prospector XL - would fit on many of the trails around here. If I lived in an area of more open trails I’d love one, but alas...

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
The Prospector XL is an awesome rig, but no way a full sized truck - let alone one on 40s like the Prospector XL - would fit on many of the trails around here. If I lived in an area of more open trails I’d love one, but alas...
Yep, I agree. It would fit on a lot of the stuff I do but not everything. It's six inches wider than the Gladiator. I am usually not on tight enough stuff where that would make the difference between going or not going. On 40's it sits at 87" tall vs my Gladiator which will sit at around 82" on 40's.

Either way, it's a lot bigger, and even the small 'math' difference, it's a big size difference in real life when you look at the them side by side. The Prospector XL would not fit in my garage -- both because of length and height.

The RAM is super comfortable though -- do miss my old '14 2500 Laramie sometimes.

Last edited:

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Help me out boys and girls, I just don't get Jeep's justifying the pricing of these. They are mid-sized trucks priced like full size in my view.
For me it was because I already own a full size truck, and use it to tow this.
Jeep Gladiator Why not buy a full size truck for the same price? Momentum 350G

And because the full size truck wont fit down the trail, or work as well off road as a nice JT will, like this.
Jeep Gladiator Why not buy a full size truck for the same price? Mojave 12-5-20 4

Different trucks for different purposes.

ShirtlessCubsFan

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GLI, 2020 Mercedes GLB, 2022 Mojave
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Might as well also ask why not buy a Miata? It's a more reliable, better handling, more fuel efficient, and almost half the price (depending on your build) convertible.

I'm not towing gooseneck horse trailers or beds full of gravel. I just need a place to throw my dirty camping equipment, mountain bike, and my kid's smelly sports equipment that won't dirty up my interior, even if just the cargo area. I'm not a rock crawler, even in my old JKU, so the arse end on this thing won't prevent me from doing what I love to do off road. I love to tinker and there's not nearly the amount of customizable configurations on another truck that I can get with a Gladiator. Definitely not one that's convertible.

I'm not in the market for a meat cleaver. I just need a Swiss Army Knife. Great at many things rather than perfect at one specific thing.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Might as well also ask why not buy a Miata? It's a more reliable, better handling, more fuel efficient, and almost half the price (depending on your build) convertible.

I'm not towing gooseneck horse trailers or beds full of gravel. I just need a place to throw my dirty camping equipment, mountain bike, and my kid's smelly sports equipment that won't dirty up my interior, even if just the cargo area. I'm not a rock crawler, even in my old JKU, so the arse end on this thing won't prevent me from doing what I love to do off road. I love to tinker and there's not nearly the amount of customizable configurations on another truck that I can get with a Gladiator. Definitely not one that's convertible.

I'm not in the market for a meat cleaver. I just need a Swiss Army Knife. Great at many things rather than perfect at one specific thing.
I think Gladiators are the swiss army knife of everything between a Subaru Outback station wagon to a 1 ton dually. Gladiators can do a little bit of everything and do a lot of it better than most. At least for my needs.

Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
I think Gladiators are the swiss army knife of everything between a Subaru Outback station wagon to a 1 ton dually. Gladiators can do a little bit of everything and do a lot of it better than most. At least for my needs.
Are you saying the gladiator can do what a 1 ton dually can do but better?

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Are you saying the gladiator can do what a 1 ton dually can do but better?
Uhhh no. I said they can do "a little bit of everything and do a lot of it better than most." Sure your 1 ton dually can tow and haul more, but I suspect that a lot of people don't need the upper limits of the capability of a 1 ton dually. And the JT can get down a narrow fire trail much better than a 1 ton. Everything thinks about driving down that trail. Very few think about what happens if you run out of trail and have to turn around, or maneuver through a tight switch back. Oh and I think 1 ton dually carry truck nutz much better than JTs - I'll give you that.

[Seriously hope you took my last sentence in good humor because that is how I meant it - not a personal attack.]

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
Uhhh no. I said they can do "a little bit of everything and do a lot of it better than most." Sure your 1 ton dually can tow and haul more, but I suspect that a lot of people don't need the upper limits of the capability of a 1 ton dually. And the JT can get down a narrow fire trail much better than a 1 ton. Everything thinks about driving down that trail. Very few think about what happens if you run out of trail and have to turn around, or maneuver through a tight switch back. Oh and I think 1 ton dually carry truck nutz much better than JTs - I'll give you that.

[Seriously hope you took my last sentence in good humor because that is how I meant it - not a personal attack.]
Got it. Just misunderstood your point. Maybe consider editing your post to say "better than most in its class" although you may have thought other would imply that.

Also, I don't have a 1 ton dually and have never had truck nutz.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Got it. Just misunderstood your point. Maybe consider editing your post to say "better than most in its class" although you may have thought other would imply that.

Also, I don't have a 1 ton dually and have never had truck nutz.
Not editing my original post - this entire thread is about choosing between full size and a JT. When I was looking my criteria included everything from a Subaru to the 1 ton dually and I landed on the JT because I think Gladiators are the swiss army knife of everything between a Subaru Outback station wagon to a 1 ton dually. Gladiators can do a little bit of everything and do a lot of it better than most.

Agree to disagree? Buy you a beer if you are ever in Minnesota? I only get to the UP when driving to Toronto...

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
Not editing my original post - this entire thread is about choosing between full size and a JT. When I was looking my criteria included everything from a Subaru to the 1 ton dually and I landed on the JT because I think Gladiators are the swiss army knife of everything between a Subaru Outback station wagon to a 1 ton dually. Gladiators can do a little bit of everything and do a lot of it better than most.

Agree to disagree? Buy you a beer if you are ever in Minnesota? I only get to the UP when driving to Toronto...
All righty then, it was just a suggestion man. I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with you.
Sponsored