Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
No EGR cooler replacement?
Nope, I heard a lot of people talking about this especially after the settlement and ECU flash was announced, but I never had any EGR issues, at least not diagnosed haha, but honestly my truck ran great before the computer was flashed...I already had my Gladiator ordered, so the settlement went towards parts!
Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Nope, I heard a lot of people talking about this especially after the settlement and ECU flash was announced, but I never had any EGR issues, at least not diagnosed haha, but honestly my truck ran great before the computer was flashed...I already had my Gladiator ordered, so the settlement went towards parts!
Most EGR coolers seem to fail somewhere between 35,000 and 65,000 miles. I bought the extended warranty because I knew that mine had failed. So, I purchased the extended warranty then took it in for the repair. I have 75,000 miles on my current Ecodiesel and the extended warranty is good until the end of June of 2020. The extended warranty also covered a DEF pump replacement. The AEM warranty covered a DEF injector replacement, but I haven't had any issues since then (May of 2019).

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
3.73 Gears...Is that in all forms including Rubicon and "Max Tow"? Was kinda hoping for 4.10s for the 37"s and towing....

Any insight?

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
3.73 Gears...Is that in all forms including Rubicon and "Max Tow"? Was kinda hoping for 4.10s for the 37"s and towing....

Any insight?
There is no Max Towing package for the diesel, and there is no information on axle ratios for the JT+diesel combo. We're assuming the 3.73s they're using in JL will be used in JT also but it's not certain.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S

Any insight?
I ā€˜heardā€™ that the Rubi still gets 4.10 gears. But Iā€™m not certain of that.

Iā€™m guessing that the greatly increased torque is a factor in this.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician

Any insight?
4:10s will remain on Rubicon models at least. I believe max tow also since it is a Rubicon axle.

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey

Any insight?
Attempting to answer my own question: The JLRU Eco Diesel has 3.73 as evidence by the Rubi in the video stated that it had 3.73. And since Max Tow is the same as the Rubi axle, then all Diesels will likely have 3.73 gears. Let's see what TFL does with the Ike test.

Hard for me to even judge how this would work. With higher torque, higher gears make sense. I have 3.73 in my '97 Cummins 12v but that is a totally different BEAST and I couldn't imagine lower gearing. I also wonder how the tranny will differ from the gasser. So many questions.....not the least of which, will this Eco diesel, that looks like it was developed by NASA, be at least as reliable as the Pentastar. I want the torque, I'm gonna tow a camper and stuff but don't want it in the shop all the time.

"The waiting is the hardest part" -TP

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Attempting to answer my own question: The JLRU Eco Diesel has 3.73 as evidence by the Rubi in the video stated that it had 3.73. And since Max Tow is the same as the Rubi axle, then all Diesels will likely have 3.73 gears. Let's see what TFL does with the Ike test.

Hard for me to even judge how this would work. With higher torque, higher gears make sense. I have 3.73 in my '97 Cummins 12v but that is a totally different BEAST and I couldn't imagine lower gearing. I also wonder how the tranny will differ from the gasser. So many questions.....not the least of which, will this Eco diesel, that looks like it was developed by NASA, be at least as reliable as the Pentastar. I want the torque, I'm gonna tow a camper and stuff but don't want it in the shop all the time.

"The waiting is the hardest part" -TP
Yep, 3.73s with the diesel doesn't make sense. 4.10s with the diesel would definitely not make sense. This silly packaging is compounded by the fact they have the 8-speed now which doesn't require deep axle gearing for driveability. I have no idea what they're doing. The 3.45s from the JL would have been a better match.

In my experience, I'd bet my first born child that the EcoDiesel will not be as reliable as the Pentastar. Ain't happnin'. Did you see the guy who posted that he had to drop $7,500 at once service visit? Seventy Five Hundred Dollars. That's the exact thing I've been talking about. The turbos, Bosch CP4 fuel injection system, EGR system, DEF system, press-fit timing sprockets, etc....it's all just a recipe for disaster long term.

If torque is the only thing a guy cares about, he'd be better served to take the $5,000 for the EcoDiesel upgrade and spend that on a supercharger kit for the P-star instead.

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I agree. 4.10s would be insane and 3.73s would be pushing it. GCs with EcoD have 3.45s and Rams have 3.55s. so would make sense to keep similar range I would think

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
In my experience, I'd bet my first born child that the EcoDiesel will not be as reliable as the Pentastar. Ain't happnin'. Did you see the guy who posted that he had to drop $7,500 at once service visit? Seventy Five Hundred Dollars. That's the exact thing I've been talking about. The turbos, Bosch CP4 fuel injection system, EGR system, DEF system, press-fit timing sprockets, etc....it's all just a recipe for disaster long term.

If torque is the only thing a guy cares about, he'd be better served to take the $5,000 for the EcoDiesel upgrade and spend that on a supercharger kit for the P-star instead.
The gen III Ecodiesel is a new engine with a new EGR system. It is quite possible that the new Ecodiesel will be very reliable in stock form. Ram has had a lot of time to refine the engine and emission to make the truck more reliable. In all honestly, the tuned (non-stock) Gen II Ecodiesls are very reliable with several trucks with over 200,000 miles on them. My gen II Ecodiesel has been reliable. I now have 75,000 miles on my truck and have taken it through some of the most extreme driving conditions. The only things I've had to replace is the EGR cooler and DEF injector, both were done under warranty. I've towed in 17 states and over some the steepest mountain passes in Colorado with a 8.5 foot wide body travel trailer weighing 7,000 lbs.

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
Hopefully RAM will have enough data and time to be a solid predictor of the future of the diesel in the gladiator.

I'm optimistic that they have fixed some issues however they've had a bad history...

"Who is more foolish? The fool (FCA), or the fool who follows the fool (those who trust and get the diesel)?"

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Did you actually notice a power gain?
Actually yes, if not just throttle response. I had a Bullydog tuner on my JK and didn't notice anything, the Pulsar definitely has improvements. You can feel it going from Economy to Tow to Performance.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Hopefully RAM will have enough data and time to be a solid predictor of the future of the diesel in the gladiator.

I'm optimistic that they have fixed some issues however they've had a bad history...
The gen III Ecodiesel has a lot of changes on it, including redesigned intake ports, and a new EGR system that is supposed to be much better than the current system. "The high and low pressure EGR system is a clever way to steal as little of the exhaust gases from the turbo as possible (about 20 percent less than normal EGR setups). Additional exhaust gases are taken downstream, after the particulate filter to provide cleaner and cooler gases back into the system, which in turn delivers lower emissions and greater overall cooling efficiency."
Sponsored