Sponsored

Does anyone else think the 3.6L is under powered for the JT?

jlhubbar7

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ruby
I currently have a JLU Rubicon and I recently took a lite 3,500lb camper on a trip across Michigan. I feel like the 3.6L with Rubicon gears struggled. I couldn't imagine towing double that to match the new JT towing capacity.

Anyone else with a JLU feel the same?
Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I don't know if I do yet, because I haven't seen one in action, but like you, I pull a 3500 lb trailer on my summer trips. My Overland Rig is a 2014 JKU Sport with 3.73 gears and 33" tires. Honestly, I think I do great with towing... the only time I felt a struggle was up big, long hills. I am hoping the JT does a better job with those hills because of the 8-speed transmission and was targeting a Rubicon for the 4:10 gears. I'm sad to hear your JLU Rubicon isn't much better with the same sized trailer.

All that being said, there are 4 cylinder turbos going into everything these days all with similar heavy tow ratings. I'll allow that there could be some drivetrain improvements that make it possible, similarly, the onboard computer can help with that. I'm waiting to actually try a JT or at least hear some reviewers experiences before I worry too much.

In the meantime, I picked up a Superchips FlashPaq on Cyber Monday and will be trying their "tow tune" out the next time I pull the trailer and see how much things change.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I currently have a JLU Rubicon and I recently took a lite 3,500lb camper on a trip across Michigan. I feel like the 3.6L with Rubicon gears struggled. I couldn't imagine towing double that to match the new JT towing capacity.

Anyone else with a JLU feel the same?
I have to agree with Eternus, I don't know haven't driven/ seen it in action.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I was hoping the JT would get a bump in power for towing over the JL. Also the JT weights 400 lbs more! Its why I won't consider the V6 at all and will have to wait for the Diesel.

USAFRecon

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 C10, 14 Cooper S, Soon: Gladiator
Occupation
IT Guy
I mean it is the same engine in the Ram 1500 soooooo

Sponsored

USAFRecon

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 C10, 14 Cooper S, Soon: Gladiator
Occupation
IT Guy
Is the HP the same in the Ram as the JL? I thought the Ram has a bump in power but could be wrong.
Yea the Ram is rated at 305 horse 269 tq whereas the JL is 285/260. Negligibly different and the JL truck is way lighter than the Ram, so back to my original hypothesis which is: The Jeep Truck will be fine. And some other facts to support my theory... The Taco is at 278/265 and Canyon/Coloraydos are at 305/269. So yea no worries, I am sure the diesel will really help too. I do think it will be just fine.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Yea the Ram is rated at 305 horse 269 tq whereas the JL is 285/260. Negligibly different and the JL truck is way lighter than the Ram, so back to my original hypothesis which is: The Jeep Truck will be fine. And some other facts to support my theory... The Taco is at 278/265 and Canyon/Coloraydos are at 305/269. So yea no worries, I am sure the diesel will really help too. I do think it will be just fine.
There is so much to consider beyond just the engine as well. Gear ratio. Computer tuning. There is also the fact that this is being designed TO TOW. They've said the grill is different to keep it cooler for towing. Even if it doesn't feel a lot more powerful for towing, at the very least it will last longer under that strain.

I'd be curious what the gearing is on those other vehicles and how the 1500 is getting an extra 20 horse power. As Inigo Montoya said... I do not think he is using the same wind we are using.

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
I feel I can give some words on this since I currently have a 2018 ram with the 3.6 3.55 rear gear. (and a JK with the same engine)

I have towed a few times with it, heaviest so far being my 93 BMW E36 on an open u-haul trailer. No problems at all up or down hills, held 72 with cruse control on and tow/haul on. tow/haul mode seemed to keep the gear hunting to a minimum, and never had a "come onnnn shiffffffttttt!!!!!!!!" moment. Plenty of power to pass, never felt under powered for knowing im towing something. (if that makes sense)

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
tow/haul mode seemed to keep the gear hunting to a minimum,
Oh yah, Tow Mode is a thing in most trucks these days (at least the mid-size). I wonder if there will be a Tow Mode in the JT.

Sponsored

Djrobb

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 Tacoma crew cab long bed
Per TFLtruck ”For a little more context on towing, the top-tow configuration is a Gladiator Sport with an eight-speed automatic. The Gladiator Overland with a manual can pull 4,000 pounds while the automatic Overland is good for 6,000 pounds. As for the Rubicon, manual models can tow 4,500 pounds while automatic Rubi’s are good for 7000 pounds.

OP
OP

jlhubbar7

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ruby
Good points

The main thing I see with the 3.6 is the bad low end torque. My main issue when towing with my JL was it had to drop 3-4 gears to find the power at 60-70MPH. (3500 - 5000 RPM)

I am sure the 2.0 Turbo is much better, and then of course the diesel will have zero trouble at all

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
I have the pentastar on my 2015 1500 Laramie - a much heavier vehicle with skid plates, air suspension and ram boxes and power has never been an issue - even in snow or mud

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think we're spoiled when we call a nearly 300 HP engine "underpowered" in a 4,500 lb. vehicle.

Decades ago, guys were towing 7,000 lbs. with V6 engines that made half the power and we thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Im good with it . Good balance between power and fuel economy. The turbo 4 probably would even have worked for some people. My buddy got the turbo in his Rubicon and loves it. His other vehicle is a Ram 2500 diesel....so he has a pretty solid opinion on torque I have decided that since I do not needed to tow over 5k on a regular basis, this truck will work for me, if towing over 5k I'd get a full size truck as the money factor is the same.
Sponsored