Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
That's a big consideration for a lot of people who shop the midsize segment. And it just so happens that the Gladiator will be one of the longest trucks in its class. It's a full half-foot longer than the new Ranger. The only truck that may be as long would be the crew cab long bed Frontier/Tacoma possibly.

That means that you'll need a full size residential garage and it'll need to be very clean and organized if you want to fit a Gladiator in it.
I think I have I have a full size residential garage but the JT still won't fit. My garage from back wall to the door is 18 feet but the JT is 18 feet & 2 inches. :angry:
If I end up getting a JL it will have to go outside I guess... Also I guess tha means I should pay the extra and get a hard top. :(

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I think I have I have a full size residential garage but the JT still won't fit. My garage from back wall to the door is 18 feet but the JT is 18 feet & 2 inches. :angry:
If I end up getting a JL it will have to go outside I guess... Also I guess tha means I should pay the extra and get a hard top. :(
My buddy cut his garage sheetrock and reframed (boxed out the studs) an area big enough for his F150 with a ranchhand bumper to fit in. Gave him a few inches. He put a 1/4" piece of plywood in the hole against the far side and painted it, and put trim around the opening and it looks kinda like a picture box. Took him just a few hours.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
My buddy cut his garage sheetrock and reframed (boxed out the studs) an area big enough for his F150 with a ranchhand bumper to fit in. Gave him a few inches. He put a 1/4" piece of plywood in the hole against the far side and painted it, and put trim around the opening and it looks kinda like a picture box. Took him just a few hours.
I will have to investigate that, not sure how well that will work with my house, the fireplace chimney may be in the way.

Sponsored

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Wifey did the same "garage renovation" (about 10 years ago) with the Jetta bumper, without using a single tool or tape measure.....within a couple of seconds

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I am still trying to figure this out. I am on my 5th Wrangler and I get the fun of top off and doors off and wheeling. I live in Colorado, one of the best off road places around! My last truck was a JLU Rubicon. I was very interested in the JT, particularly when I heard about the towing capacity. But as I do my price shopping I have hit the wall. Basing pricing assumptions on the JL gets us pretty close to guess what this truck will sell for. Optioned well it just isn't gonna be less than 50k, and probably several thousand more. A Sahara optioned well is north of $52,000.

And yet, the new redesigned half ton full size trucks with much more capability from the big three are all about the same price, or even cheaper, including the off road equipped with factory 2" suspension lift trucks like the 2019 Silverado which I just "build and priced" at around $56k MSRP. I am not thrilled about a full size truck as a daily driver, its hard to park, costly to insure, poor visibility etc. But after looking around I am fast losing interest in the JT. Maybe I will buy a used JL for the DD and the full size truck for towing. much as I hated the idea of buying two new vehicles. (I have an '01 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L (yes, 8.1!) that gets around 7 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer).

Help me out boys and girls, I just don't get Jeep's justifying the pricing of these. They are mid-sized trucks priced like full size in my view.
I feel your anxiety . . . think most of us do, and wonder where will the "pricing" end ? Partly why recently we are hearing rumors of "smaller" trucks . . . i.e.; what used to be, for example, Ford's "old" Ranger ! Remember that "little guy"? Still see a lot of them .
Hmmm, Jeep may be boxed into a new corner for a smaller truck too !? I don't think RAM has the stomach for it ! How on earth could Jeep do that - COST EFFECTIVELY . . . perhaps a stretched 2 door JT / "smallish" quad JT ? It will still require the 5 ft. bed otherwise the purpose would be defeated ! OR, perhaps using the JLU Framework & body, remove the rear doors shorten up the cab and put a bed on ! Heck this could even lead to yet another Model such as the Africa they showed a couple years ago - I think at Moab ? Kinda like the old Ford Bronco or Chevy ? (brain fart) .
Heck, looking back 18 months or so now, I was initially wanting the big rig - RAM Quad V6/8 speed DT . Up to 2015 I had a 2003 Dodge 1500 2 door Hemi (13yrs) that I loved, but for some reason I wanted a JEEP, but silly me I made the wrong choice - WK2 . Only wrong because the JL rumors were taking a bit longer than I wanted to wait - so thought I'd try the "comfort Jeep" ! I do love it, but I'm "scared" to get it scratched -- I do take it off, onto the back roads in search of fewer people and more wild things and moving water (to fly fish on). AM I GOING FULL CIRCLE . . . AGAIN ? Is the FACT that the DT is the last bastion of FCA vehicles that has a CD Player gonna "force" me back into a Full Size Truck ? ;) . Ugh . . . the agony & the ecstasy of it all . . . . . . If only I could make up my damn mind ?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I feel your anxiety . . . think most of us do, and wonder where will the "pricing" end ? Partly why recently we are hearing rumors of "smaller" trucks . . . i.e.; what used to be, for example, Ford's "old" Ranger ! Remember that "little guy"? Still see a lot of them .
Hmmm, Jeep may be boxed into a new corner for a smaller truck too !? I don't think RAM has the stomach for it ! How on earth could Jeep do that - COST EFFECTIVELY . . . perhaps a stretched 2 door JT / "smallish" quad JT ? It will still require the 5 ft. bed otherwise the purpose would be defeated ! OR, perhaps using the JLU Framework & body, remove the rear doors shorten up the cab and put a bed on ! Heck this could even lead to yet another Model such as the Africa they showed a couple years ago - I think at Moab ? Kinda like the old Ford Bronco or Chevy ? (brain fart) .
Heck, looking back 18 months or so now, I was initially wanting the big rig - RAM Quad V6/8 speed DT . Up to 2015 I had a 2003 Dodge 1500 2 door Hemi (13yrs) that I loved, but for some reason I wanted a JEEP, but silly me I made the wrong choice - WK2 . Only wrong because the JL rumors were taking a bit longer than I wanted to wait - so thought I'd try the "comfort Jeep" ! I do love it, but I'm "scared" to get it scratched -- I do take it off, onto the back roads in search of fewer people and more wild things and moving water (to fly fish on). AM I GOING FULL CIRCLE . . . AGAIN ? Is the FACT that the DT is the last bastion of FCA vehicles that has a CD Player gonna "force" me back into a Full Size Truck ? ;) . Ugh . . . the agony & the ecstasy of it all . . . . . . If only I could make up my damn mind ?
That my problem. If price is okay, I'm happy and singing FCA people's praises. If price is high, I'm out. Like never talk to me again jeep out. Crazy making! It is a JEEP. Geez Louise.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
That my problem. If price is okay, I'm happy and singing FCA people's praises. If price is high, I'm out. Like never talk to me again jeep out. Crazy making! It is a JEEP. Geez Louise.
Could we go with "Geez George" instead ? Louise is too close to Louis (Lou) which is Me (male, "dude" as someone once rudely called me) on some other Post/Thread. :LOL: . Seems we're in the same boat . :like: .

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Could we go with "Geez George" instead ? Louise is too close to Louis (Lou) which is Me (male, "dude" as someone once rudely called me) on some other Post/Thread. :LOL: . Seems we're in the same boat . :like: .
Geez George! Give me my cheap truck please! Oh wait, inexpensive..

jeeprscreeprs

First Name
brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 cherokee
the JT is unique because it will be the only convertible truck, available with a manual transmission at every trim level, with a best/near best in class towing (depending how you spin the numbers) and it is guaranteed to have a huge aftermarket following. plus its a jeep thing. that's why you would buy this over any other truck, full size or not.

TacoNoC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4Runner, 2009 Nissan Altima, 1993 Honda Prelude
We are looking to get a trailer that weighs between 4300-5000lbs, so loaded my guess is 6000lbs.

Why would the Gladiator with 4.10 & Sport not be good for this? Talk me out of getting the JT and spending the extra money for a loaded full size.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
We are looking to get a trailer that weighs between 4300-5000lbs, so loaded my guess is 6000lbs.

Why would the Gladiator with 4.10 & Sport not be good for this? Talk me out of getting the JT and spending the extra money for a loaded full size.
You'd be fine with the Gladiator.

It's just that a lot of guys prefer not to tow at or near the very top of a truck's capacity. It's good to have plenty of room leftover. Once you load a trailer, and put occupants and cargo in the truck itself, GCVW gets surpassed pretty quickly in the mid-size segment.

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
I am still trying to figure this out. I am on my 5th Wrangler and I get the fun of top off and doors off and wheeling. I live in Colorado, one of the best off road places around! My last truck was a JLU Rubicon. I was very interested in the JT, particularly when I heard about the towing capacity. But as I do my price shopping I have hit the wall. Basing pricing assumptions on the JL gets us pretty close to guess what this truck will sell for. Optioned well it just isn't gonna be less than 50k, and probably several thousand more. A Sahara optioned well is north of $52,000.

And yet, the new redesigned half ton full size trucks with much more capability from the big three are all about the same price, or even cheaper, including the off road equipped with factory 2" suspension lift trucks like the 2019 Silverado which I just "build and priced" at around $56k MSRP. I am not thrilled about a full size truck as a daily driver, its hard to park, costly to insure, poor visibility etc. But after looking around I am fast losing interest in the JT. Maybe I will buy a used JL for the DD and the full size truck for towing. much as I hated the idea of buying two new vehicles. (I have an '01 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L (yes, 8.1!) that gets around 7 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer).

Help me out boys and girls, I just don't get Jeep's justifying the pricing of these. They are mid-sized trucks priced like full size in my view.
Iā€™ve owned many full sized trucks, loved ā€˜em all... but I use them for ranch work, hunting, and working in the deep wilderness. A Wrangler Rubicon can go where no full size truck can, with the hauling capability of a full size 1/2 ton, and twice the off-road capability of a full size truck!
My Grandad was a Nevada Horse rancher, had a 50ā€™s era Jeep truck... we drove that baby places even cows wouldnā€™t go! Up so many wild creeks I couldnā€™t count ā€˜em! Though deep Snow, thick Woods, tight Canyons, and steep Mountains!
Iā€™ve always wished I had that truck... now I will! ā¤;{
Sponsored