Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
IDK about that. There are tens of thousands of Tacoma extended cabs purchased by security, pest, pool, and cable companies.
I know that I frequently see Tacos used by contractors at my work.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I know this is a full size thread, but anybody know what the ranger raptor will cost in the USA?

EDIT: after reading 4-5 pages about this, looks like it "may" come to the usa.

Last edited:

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I know this is a full size thread, but anybody know what the ranger raptor will cost in the USA?

EDIT: after reading 4-5 pages about this, looks like it "may" come to the usa.
No plans to bring to US. Check out the Ranger5g.com forum

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
I just read that when Ranger production ended, apparently Orikins favorite truck, they switched to the Tacoma for their fleet.
A clear majority of the Tacoma sales are through dealer lots and not fleets. Even with fleet sales - one of the fundamental attributes of the Tacoma line is the flexibility of platforms offered (extended cabs, crew cabs, engine choices, etc.). Even if fleet sales are factored in not many fleet buyers are buying crew cabs. Say what you want - it cannot be disputed - offering one cab and one bed will suppress sales.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
A clear majority of the Tacoma sales are through dealer lots and not fleets. Even with fleet sales - one of the fundamental attributes of the Tacoma line is the flexibility of platforms offered (extended cabs, crew cabs, engine choices, etc.). Even if fleet sales are factored in not many fleet buyers are buying crew cabs. Say what you want - it cannot be disputed - offering one cab and one bed will suppress sales.
Omg, broken record.

Yes it would suppress sales volume, but not necessarily sales profitability. Tooling For all those options costs money, jeep isnt trying to be everything to all people, it's targeting a specific clientele.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Omg, broken record.

Yes it would suppress sales volume, but not necessarily sales profitability. Tooling For all those options costs money, jeep isnt trying to be everything to all people, it's targeting a specific clientele.
I do not agree that an extended cab Gladiator with a longer bed and shorter cab wouldn't be profitable. You're right Jeep is apparently targeting a specific market segment but speaking of money this is an awful lot of money to invest in vehicle in one specific format but that's what they have done - at least for the first year anyhow...

MTH

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, JKUR, JK Chief
Occupation
Professional Wiffleball Player
Tacos are the law at the North Shore.

15327_406018463697_595568697_4993396_4411399_n-jpg.jpg

Wilk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
I do not agree that an extended cab Gladiator with a longer bed and shorter cab wouldn't be profitable. You're right Jeep is apparently targeting a specific market segment but speaking of money this is an awful lot of money to invest in vehicle in one specific format but that's what they have done - at least for the first year anyhow...
It's not that much compared to what they would have tied up developing the extended and regular cab models along with the crew.

The crew style is by far the biggest seller of any truck and the most in demand. I think we all agree on that. It targets a broad range of demographics, (pardon my horrible wording there) and is going to give them a chance to see if the truck is even worth making. Research has shown them(FCA) that it can be very profitable BUT people saying they would buy it does not equal people buying it. They need a trial run before extpanding the lines.
They could have come out with three or.more configurations right away and had all the extra design, development and production costs and charged us even more for the trucks. And if the whole thing was a flop then they end up in huge financial trouble.

After the first couple years seeing if it's worthwhile even making the Gladiator, then I think they could bring out other configurations. Also once they have recouped some of the costs from the first few years of sales. As I've said before, I hope they do make other configurations. They have to target the larger markets before they go for the lower demand segments.

First Name
Trace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
In answer to the OP, because:

(1) I have had my Xterra for 13 years, and it doesn't owe me anything.
(2) I only have room on the driveway for one full SUV/truck/utility vehicle, and;
(3) I had a TJ, sold when I had kids and want another one, but they don't tow what I need them to tow.
(4) All the mid-size trucks on the market look like suppositories with an easy-in-easy-out handle on the back.
(5) I just don't need to drive a full-size truck 60 miles round trip every day.
(6) Most importantly, it's cool and I want it. And, I am at the place in my life where I can say that, and then go buy it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

koala

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
In answer to the OP, because:

(1) I have had my Xterra for 13 years, and it doesn't owe me anything.
(2) I only have room on the driveway for one full SUV/truck/utility vehicle, and;
(3) I had a TJ, sold when I had kids and want another one, but they don't tow what I need them to tow.
(4) All the mid-size trucks on the market look like suppositories with an easy-in-easy-out handle on the back.
(5) I just don't need to drive a full-size truck 60 miles round trip every day.
(6) Most importantly, it's cool and I want it. And, I am at the place in my life where I can say that, and then go buy it.
Yeah I think number 6 sums it up. Cost be damned.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I think number 6 sums it up. Cost be damned.
I too like #6. I'm not there yet, but i will be by end of 2019 or sometime in 2020?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It will fit in the garage..
That's a big consideration for a lot of people who shop the midsize segment. And it just so happens that the Gladiator will be one of the longest trucks in its class. It's a full half-foot longer than the new Ranger. The only truck that may be as long would be the crew cab long bed Frontier/Tacoma possibly.

That means that you'll need a full size residential garage and it'll need to be very clean and organized if you want to fit a Gladiator in it.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a big consideration for a lot of people who shop the midsize segment. And it just so happens that the Gladiator will be one of the longest trucks in its class. It's a full half-foot longer than the new Ranger. The only truck that may be as long would be the crew cab long bed Frontier/Tacoma possibly.

That means that you'll need a full size residential garage and it'll need to be very clean and organized if you want to fit a Gladiator in it.
Shoot, Gladiator is 16" longer than my Van.

Cost for Gladiator just went up. Must build 3rd stall on garage. Now I can have a wood shop as well, so maybe I can just allocate some of the cost of the gladiator to hobby/shop and make myself feel better.

Justify it away :rock:
Sponsored