First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Creative Director
Let us know what they found that required an engine replacement. It was obviously something huge.

Good luck on future vehicle choices.

Jeep. The new Jaguar.

Well folks, just heard from my dealers service department and the FCA field engineers have determined that they need to replace my engine. I'll share diagnosis when I receive the paperwork. Service Manager also informed me that Chrylser will be buying my Gladiator back. We'll see how long this process takes. In a nutshell, I had the truck for a little over a month and put less than 300 miles. It's been in the shop on 3 occasions (23 days and counting) and still in the shop with ESS & CEL issues. I love the truck but need to decide if I'm going to purchase another Gladiator or something else.
Hey Guys,
Just dropped my Gladiator off for the same issue. They called back and said they found multiple misfire codes.
1200 miles
What are the best steps to take?
I have never owned a Jeep so I don't even know where to start.
Any help to get me going in the right direction would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Glade8tor

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
So for those who have had their Gladiator replaced and got a second CEL issue what happened? Would you (could you) try to get a third? (Or second replacement?)
On my second Gladiator with misfires and CEL / ESS activation. Dealership replaced cams and cam phasers in my original Gladiator. They have been testing it for two days and believe they have solved this issue. They are forwarding this to FCA who have totally bungled this. Hopefully this is simply defective phasers. Don’t know who manufactures the phasers. Engines assembled in Detroit and Gladiators assembled in Toledo. New phasers ordered for Gladiator 2. Fingers crossed.

Gameshow

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Well folks, just heard from my dealers service department and the FCA field engineers have determined that they need to replace my engine. I'll share diagnosis when I receive the paperwork. Service Manager also informed me that Chrylser will be buying my Gladiator back. We'll see how long this process takes. In a nutshell, I had the truck for a little over a month and put less than 300 miles. It's been in the shop on 3 occasions (23 days and counting) and still in the shop with ESS & CEL issues. I love the truck but need to decide if I'm going to purchase another Gladiator or something else.
Thanks for the update, DTrees! I'm wondering if I'll be in the same boat shortly...

Gameshow

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
On my second Gladiator with misfires and CEL / ESS activation. Dealership replaced cams and cam phasers in my original Gladiator. They have been testing it for two days and believe they have solved this issue. They are forwarding this to FCA who have totally bungled this. Hopefully this is simply defective phasers. Don’t know who manufactures the phasers. Engines assembled in Detroit and Gladiators assembled in Toledo. New phasers ordered for Gladiator 2. Fingers crossed.
I appreciate and respect your optimism, but I've seen others who have gone this route and then are back in the service center 400 miles later.

OneBadHombre

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave being built...
Occupation
Medical Devices
What were your build dates on each of these? Close together or no?

Sponsored

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Sales Manager @ Hamburger's Superchargers
Is anyone getting surging or exhaust noise? I am just wondering if it is actually a misfire, or a harmonic that sounds like a misfire to the ECM. I believe the knock sensors, are under the oil cooler. The gladiator has unique heads, starter, and alternator. The misfire seems to be cylinder 2 most often. A guess I have is, one of these new components causes a harmonic in the block that sounds like a misfire, but isn`t. Be interesting to see if the jeeps with the Hamburg supercharger have this problem. It relocates the alternator. Another thought is, does disabling the ESS help the issue. Maybe the starter rattles the engine just right.

I have been running with my ESS disabled from the second day of ownership, and have not seen this issue yet. I also have been running the Magnuson supercharger kit, which changes the mounts to the alternator.
Surging is due to the bypass valve opening and closing. All kits will have this. We have an electronic bypass solution that fixes this that will be included with all Hamburger Supercharger kits shortly.

Glade8tor

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Has anyone heard of the cam phasers being replaced and did it work? My dealership is convinced they have figured this out.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Surging is due to the bypass valve opening and closing. All kits will have this. We have an electronic bypass solution that fixes this that will be included with all Hamburger Supercharger kits shortly.
This is not in relation to my supercharger kit as I am not having misfire issues. I am just trying to help the community out with some insights, I have from my past work with engine management system development. Surging would come from a real misfire, as opposed to a false registered misfire. Though after thinking about it, the controller will yank timing regardless, so probably surges anyway, but my original thought is, this is false knock.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I purchased my Gladiator Overland 06/12/220, it had 6 miles on it. Love the vehicle more every day.

But since about day 1 or 2, I have noticed a "hiccup" when accelerating, in the 35-50 mph range or so. I thought it was a misfire, since I got them fairly recently in my 14 year old Infinity SUV and am familiar with the sensation. But I thought to myself, "surely this new vehicle isn't misfiring".

I will say that I've been turning off the Auto Start/Stop from day 1. I never cared for the feature. So I'll leave it on from now on to see how the Jeep does in its default mode.

Is this what some of you started feeling initially? It's definitely a subtle sensation, but a hiccup nonetheless. I'm just a bit concerned this is the beginning of what I've been seeing on this thread. Any insight is appreciated, thank you!
Hey Guys,
Just dropped my Gladiator off for the same issue. They called back and said they found multiple misfire codes.
1200 miles
What are the best steps to take?
I have never owned a Jeep so I don't even know where to start.
Any help to get me going in the right direction would be appreciated.
Build Date: 10/19
Mileage @ first occurence: 1184
Times Occurred: 2
Codes Thrown: P0300
Ongoing Issue? Yes
Methods Tried to Fix: None yet. First dealer appointment this Saturday 6/27
Was issue resolved? Not yet
Since I forgot to add this before:

Build Date: TBD - It's in the shop...
Mileage @ first occurrence: ~2300
Times Occurred: 2
Codes Thrown: P0300/P0306
Ongoing Issue? Yes
Methods Tried to Fix: Plug/Coil Replacement (lasted one week).
Was issue resolved? Not yet
Has anyone heard of the cam phasers being replaced and did it work? My dealership is convinced they have figured this out.
Hello everyone,
Please know that our concerns match yours with your vehicle. Our team would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf. If you would like this additional assistance alongside your dealer service, please send us a private message with your VIN.

Thank you,

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

Minnie2011

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Accounting
Update as of 6/26 - dealership called indicating technicians at FCA are working on a fix/solution that involves a computer update, which is expected to be available mid- July.

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
6/27: Update on mine I’ve been driving it for about 50 miles. No CEL yet. Several start/stops and seems to be running normal. I have that beach trip today. That’s about 300 miles round trip.

2020Rubicon_stl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon
Mileage when it first occurred: 351
How many times has it occurred: 2
What exact codes did it throw: P0300
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Nothing, dealer is stumped.
Was the issue ever fully resolved? N

Jeep was purchased on 6/16/20
Build date 10/19
158 miles when purchased.

First issue 6/22/20 351 miles
Second issue 6/26/20 551 miles

Dealer(Glendale Chrysler in Glendale, Mo.) cleared the first one, suggested bad gas or carbon build up.

Dealer kept it over night to diagnose. Canceled a trip to to help a sick relative back home. Thanks Jeep.

Engaged an attorney and submitted claims to Chrysler. Believe this may be a lemon law...

Gameshow

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Update as of 6/26 - dealership called indicating technicians at FCA are working on a fix/solution that involves a computer update, which is expected to be available mid- July.
Hi Minnie2011. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I’m skeptical of a software fix - in fact, I’m concerned about it. There are thousands of Gladiators out there running the exact same software with no issues, apparently. My concern then comes if this is a means of “turning off the light.” Is something set to be too sensitive? Since some of these issues get worse over time, or if occasional misfires are slowly causing problems - I’d expect a serious increase in the warranty on the engine, like 300,000 miles increase. As I’m still waiting to hear from @JeepCares three days after I contacted them, despite being told I would be called within 24 hours, I am worried they are hiding behind this theoretical “fix.”
Sponsored