Sponsored

Aftermarket air intake system recommendations?

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Superhero
Hello everyone,

So my 2021 Jeep Mojave has been truly amazing, but I would like to get better gas mileage, I have done some homework and found that a new cool air intake system could help me with adding some horse power and better gas mileage, please share your thoughts on this and let me know if there is another way to help improve my fuel efficiency. Thanks everyone, take care and stay safe. Cheers
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There are plenty of threads here on air intake systems. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...yl-pentastar-maintenance-mods-discussions.18/

The stock system provides plenty of airflow. The engine intake can only accept so much air. My read of the threads is that there is no concrete proof that changing the air intake provides any performance or economy improvement.

The only real control you have over economy is how you drive and how hard your foot hits the gas pedal. Leaving it stock will provide the best economy. Any modifications that add weight to the truck will decrease fuel economy.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck getting any real gains from a aftermarket CAI, you will get some sound, but your not going to see gains in HP or gas mileage. In some cases they can cause you to get worse gas mileage. I have no experience on the JT, but I ran one on my JKU and it did sound nice, but other than that it made zero difference as far as performance gains. Good Luck

OP
OP
Danny gladiator
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Superhero
There are plenty of threads here on air intake systems. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...yl-pentastar-maintenance-mods-discussions.18/

The stock system provides plenty of airflow. The engine intake can only accept so much air. My read of the threads is that there is no concrete proof that changing the air intake provides any performance or economy improvement.

The only real control you have over economy is how you drive and how hard your foot hits the gas pedal. Leaving it stock will provide the best economy. Any modifications that add weight to the truck will decrease fuel economy.
Thank you for this information, I truly appreciate it.

Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
So unfortunately Superchips/Edge products doesn't have any mass market competition yet on tuners (Bullydog and Banks may come along soon), but the Pulsar has three tunes: Economy, Tow and Performance. I got a 1-1.5 boost in mpg over stock in the economy tune on mine BUT the Pulsar has some bugs in my opinion. I'm actually getting my 3rd one today after a year's worth of working with the company and trying their TrailDash2 tuner and an unlocked PCM (major issues for me). But the Pulsar has a new mother board that they say has had better results than the original. But like Mr. Bill says, how you drive makes the most difference...there are so many variables that affect mpg's that it is really hard to say what actually gives me a better tank of gas over the last (winds, load, road condition) but since I do the same commute 5 days a week, unless I add in town driving going to the store after work, I think my drive is consistent enough over 29,000 miles on my JT, that I can say the tuner helped. However, at $600ish you will take a while to recoop the price at only 1-1.5 mpg gain...but I also needed to calibrate for larger tires, so it was worth it to me and I like the Tow tune as well with a trailer behind the JT.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Best way to improve mileage is to buy a Tundra first, drive it for 2 yrs, then buy a Gladiator. I feel like I'm in a hybrid now.

OP
OP
Danny gladiator
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Superhero
Best way to improve mileage is to buy a Tundra first, drive it for 2 yrs, then buy a Gladiator. I feel like I'm in a hybrid now.
I had a Tundra LTD back in 2008, it was a pretty slick ride but the fuel efficiency was not that great, especially after I traded it in for my first JK.

mtgustin

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Past: 76' CJ-7, 2013 GC Altitude 5.7, 87 Wrangler
Occupation
Horribly underpaid government worker
Hello everyone,

So my 2021 Jeep Mojave has been truly amazing, but I would like to get better gas mileage, I have done some homework and found that a new cool air intake system could help me with adding some horse power and better gas mileage, please share your thoughts on this and let me know if there is another way to help improve my fuel efficiency. Thanks everyone, take care and stay safe. Cheers
I would look at exhaust upgrades instead of any CAI investment. IMAO. There are several valuable threads in the forums.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Instead of a CAI look at bed covers if you dont already have one and it fits your needs. Improved aero may help. I dont have one on my gladiator but I picked up a 10-12% real world increase on my old ram when I installed a hard cover on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Danny gladiator
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Superhero
Instead of a CAI look at bed covers if you dont already have one and it fits your needs. Improved aero may help. I dont have one on my gladiator but I picked up a 10-12% real world increase on my old ram when I installed a hard cover on it.
That's a great idea, I'll look into that, thank you

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
That's a great idea, I'll look into that, thank you
I got one on mine and have saw zero MPG improvements. Had it installed since April, it didn't improve my MPGs at all. It didn't hurt the MPGs either. I think mythbuster did a show where they debunked the Mpg gains with a cover and the tailgate down, both of which people say improve gas mileage

Reactions: Mac

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I got one on mine and have saw zero MPG improvements. Had it installed since April, it didn't improve my MPGs at all. It didn't hurt the MPGs either. I think mythbuster did a show where they debunked the Mpg gains with a cover and the tailgate down, both of which people say improve gas mileage
I didn't notice much difference on my Ram 1500 Ecodiesel either, but at 24+ mpg I wasn't complaining

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
The proven way to save fuel is changing your driving habits. Lol. Works on every vehicle and its free! I commute 120 miles each way to work and I have to admit there is a noticeable improvement in fuel mileage between 60 mph and 65 mph. Seems to be consistent no matter what vehicle I drive. Every 5 mph increase has an effect. Atleast that has been my non-scientific fuzzy math observation

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
As someone who has tuned their own vehicle and done tons of mods (not on a pentastar), the bolt on additions (intake, exhaust, etc) have minimal to no impact without calibrating the fuel mapping. In some cases it can make it worse because the extra air flow that in theory sounds great, skews the fuel trims and the ECU is constantly trying to fuck around trying to dial it back in to what the mapping says it should be. Depending on how big the change is in flow, it could be outside of what it can compensate for at which point you would be doing more harm than good.

All that being said, you're talking about a naturally aspirated engine so getting a whole new intake will give you little to no gains. If you want to blow a couple hundred bucks to gain efficiency, get yourself HP tuners and dial in your fuel maps to be exact rather than wasting money on an intake that will potentially make it worse. Just make sure you educate yourself on how to do it properly so you don't mess it up. Once you're there, then go ahead and get yourself an intake that you can actually tune the changes for and realize efficiency/power gains.

On a money savings perspective, if you want to save yourself money, you can get a washable intake filter and that 50 bucks you spend now will save you from having to replace the intake filter every 6 months for 10-15 bucks each time.
Sponsored